How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Seeds in Australia?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:28 pm 

Hi there
Any Australians have any luck getting seeds in?
Would like to get some cigar varieties for next season. I only have one strain and have not identified it as yet.
Would be interested to hear of your experiences/luck dealing with the nanny state.
Cheers ,Ferm 1

Post subject: Re: Seeds in Australia?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:59 am 

Seeds are a little hit and miss if buying from O/S. Sometimes they'll come through and other times quarantine will intercept and nab them. You probably don't want to get nabbed too many times, they might get narky or something.

I'd recommend getting them from a forum user here called skychaser. I reckon his seeds are top notch. Check em out at nwtseeds

I've also got seeds from UK. Think it was tobacco seed company or some such. They were pretty good too.

Also ebay has the occasional aussie seller but you never know if the strain they are flogging off is a true strain or something else.

I'd be happy to post some off but I won't claim mine are true as I'm not always careful with bagging the flowers, so some might be crossed. Shoot me a PM with your details. I'll put some ion the mail for ya if interested.

Cheers,
ANT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

I have concentrated on three types that do the job for most. If your after the bland commercial types with no flavour, then don't ask me. I am looking at types with flavour, that make it worthwhile to grow at home.

The following is a strong flavoured type, used in cigars and the outer bindings in place of papers

Havana Gold is a tall growing plant reaching over 7' in height and reaching maturity in only 55-60 days. It averages 22-24 harvestable leaves which average 14" by 20" with good uniformity and has little to no suckering before topping. The light green leaves turn yellow as soon as blooming begins and it grows and ripen soon after. The leaves air cure to a light brown. The drug content is high and is usual puffed NOT inhailed.

This strains would make up the smallest portion of your cigarette and mainly serves best for flavouring your blend (recommend up to 25% as a starter). Some can be used straight if your used to a stronger flavour.

Sherazi is a Turkish variety grown in Iran. The leaves tend to be small but thick, heavy and abundant. It is prized for its flavor and aroma. Good for using in a Hookah pipe or making Shisha. It is also used in cigarettes and pipe tobacco blends, or smoked on its own. Sherazi has a fairly high nicotine content. Usually sun cured, it matures in about 60 days.

Moldovan 456 is a tall stand up variety with a growth habit similar to TN 90 or Burley 21. It grows to 7' in height, and is a heavy producer with plants having from 34 to 40 leaves below the crows foot. It produces a heavy leaf averaging 16" wide by 25" in length. The upturned leaves close up tight to the stalk at dusk. Moldovan 456 has good wind resistance and is much more resistant to tipping than other tall burleys we have grown. The plants shed water well during heavy rains and dry quickly helping to preventing mildew growth in humid areas.
Suckering is very low, with most plants producing none before flowering. The plants reach full maturity and began to bloom at 75-80 days. Leaves began to ripen two weeks or more before reaching bloom, making the entire plant harvestable in about 90 days from transplanting. Moldovan 456 cures easily to a bright yellow/brown and is an excellent plant for either priming or stalk curing. It has yields of 6-7 oz of dried leaf per plant, with a nicotine content of 2.2%. It is an excellent plant for making cigarette or pipe blends.

As for giving you any, lets put it this way.

It seems that it may be illegal to actively sell this stuff in Aus (But not sure), but of course if a plain self addressed envelope was to appear in the mail with say $5.00 in it for a type, I would have to send it back to the person. That's only fair.

And if you want to have a beer and discuss this, just drop round.

Graham Sanders
3 Hazel Street
Rasmussen NQLD 4815

Hopefully this helps you

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:22 am 

Interception of a small amount of seed by the Postal bitzer will most likely only bring you a Burn Notice, as ANT says.

Can't say I've ever had a failure, that I know of...

Never-the-less, might be wise to have them sent to a mate who is not gardening ?

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:12 pm 

Cheers Graham.
Good to see another brewer on here.

See what we have to put up with RC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:02 pm 

:-)

there's still a bit of Ned Kelly spirit left down under... :)
rc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hi Graham, I think I got seed off you after contacting you on another forum. I'm in Tas. have been a bit lazy but finally got om plant in the ground out side and in a glass house earlier in the season. The Havana has some nice big leaves but is only a couple of feet tall. would love a few about 7 foot tall. Maybe if I get my butt into gear earlier in the season next year i'll have better results. Just been snapping off the yellowing leaves at the bottom atm. Not sure if I should pull the plants at any stage and hang them as a whole, but they still look pretty lush at the moment. Different climate to what you have up there.
If anyone has any different cigar varieties around I would be very interested.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:28 pm 

Datman wrote:
Hi Graham, I think I got seed off you after contacting you on another forum. I'm in Tas. have been a bit lazy but finally got om plant in the ground out side and in a glass house earlier in the season. The Havana has some nice big leaves but is only a couple of feet tall. would love a few about 7 foot tall. Maybe if I get my butt into gear earlier in the season next year i'll have better results. Just been snapping off the yellowing leaves at the bottom atm. Not sure if I should pull the plants at any stage and hang them as a whole, but they still look pretty lush at the moment. Different climate to what you have up there.
If anyone has any different cigar varieties around I would be very interested.

Cheers

I am guessing you planted them too late in the season. I doubt they will grow anymore this late in the season, so I would pull the whole plant and dry them out.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:03 am 

I am guessing you planted them too late in the season. I doubt they will grow anymore this late in the season, so I would pull the whole plant and dry them out.[/quote]

Trying to wait for the Havana to flower. The sharazi has flowered all ready, but the Havana is just starting to open now.
I have half my crop in a glass house and they have powered on in the last 2 weeks, they shouldn't be effected by any frost at least, which isn't far away.