How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Request for seeds
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:04 am 

Some years back I got some seeds from the folk here for my start in growing tobacco. I got rose and burley seeds. Grew them for two years. After drying and curing, for some reason the tobacco just wasn't that tasty. It wasn't objectionable - just not as aromatic as I expected. I usually smoke a pipe. I was also hoping to turn my cigarette smoker friends on to home-grown tobacco, including the RYO folk. They tried my tobacco, and it just doesn't do anything for them, kind of leaves them flat. Does anyone have some aromatic and tasty seed variety they'd be willing to share for the 2014 season? Please PM me where I can send a SASE for seeds.

Post subject: Re: Request for seeds
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:37 am 

I use Burley. Fire cured.and some oriental/turk. With V.G then case it with maple syrup. White rum.anise essence. Toffee essence. And a bit of glycerine. .and soak all the leaves in it and make a cake to cut flake off to smoke in a pipe and it comes out nice?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:50 am 

You want Turkish varieties if you are looking for aromatic smelling and smooth tasting pipe tobacco. Virginia Brightleaf will also make for a smooth smoke.
As for Turkish, I like Samsun-Maden, Bucak and Tekekkoy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:18 am 

Remember Turkish is smooth however it is low in nicotin. VG is a good punch that is not as smooth but gives the kick. I mix the Latakia (no Syrian) cant get any, In My pipe backy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:46 am 

Kestas, making a switch to chem-free homegrown tobacco is difficult for many people.

Especially those who are accustomed to one particular brand, that may be heavily adulterated and sauced, AND, when they are bucks up, prepared to pay high prices and taxes on top of that!

Truth be known, to this day, I still mix a smaller percentage of store-bought Red River Pipe Tobacco in with my homegrown.
It does have a bit of a Cavendish note to it, does have PG and glycerine in it, and I'm sure a bunch of other chems.
I use it for a burn modifier.

That, would be my suggestion for your situation...
When gifting some of your leaf to friends, make the suggestion they blend a small percentage of it in with what they normally use.
My guess is they will be happier.

and the other part of your consequence...
IMO, when the strains are grown in different places, with varying soil & WX conditions, although the form of the plant will remain substantially the same, peculiar attributes of the strain may be different, at least to some degree.

For example, I do grow a havana strain here in Kalifornia, yet would not entertain any thought it is near the quality of that which is grown in Cuba. There is probably a notable resemblance.

Also, IMO, harvest timing, leaf selection, and curing conditions will additionally affect the end product.

Best
rc