How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Looking for seed variety? Will pay shipping + ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:23 pm 

Hello,
Hoping someone might be willing to bestow upon me a seed assortment to get started with in my experimentation with growing Hydroponically in winter then in dirt outside in beautiful Kentucky. I already have a Burly that Sprouts consistently. However my Havana, and my SYLVESTRIS. . . from ebay did not start. Happy to pay shipping for anyone willing to help me out. Also more than willing to share my Burly seed if you want.

Thanks for reading the post :0),

Gavin

Post subject: Re: Looking for seed variety? Will pay shipping + ?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:46 pm 

Hi Gavin,

I'm a bit concerned with your starting medium so i'm doin a germination test with the seed i'm sending you like i usually do.Just to see if it's the method or the seeds.

You need very little light if any to sprout em.My test method is near a furnace plenum in near darkness and seen 100% rates using this in cold weather like we up here got now.

I'll throw in a couple other varieties 8)

Mark in Wi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:17 pm 

Sprouting the seeds was tried all varieties view 1. on the rock wool in tupper ware with cling wrap over top. 2. on damp paper towels in zip lock 3. in potting soil in lil plastic cup in a zip lock. I set these in the kitchen cabinet above a light fixture. the Burly Sprouted first on the paper towel, then the rockwool, last was the potting soil. ( was tryin a little of everything I had been seeing here on the forums) Thanx a bunch for quick response and willing to test germinate BTW :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:47 pm 

Hi Taxed you are the top man for helping people out. and thanks once again for the seed last year they grew very well. And yes that silver is a stand alone smoke without the need too let it age. I will be growing it again this year it was the best plant with about double the leaf weight than the others plants Thanks again will be getting some ytb this year he he :lol:
Markw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:58 am 

Hi all,

Down in South Africa here it seems there are no local tobacco seed traders, other than N.Rustica that's sold in some nurseries. I've successfully grown and harvested a small crop on Rustica, but have since been advised it's not ideal to smoke straight.

The whole reason I got into growing tobacco is because I really enjoy cigars and thought it would be an great experience to grow my own. I've also learned this may not be realistic and should go with something simpler.

All this is just to say, I've seen a few conversations on this forum about mailing seed. can anyone advise on how payments are arranged and if there are any issues with customs - just because customs are usually wary of any seeds coming in.

Much appreciate it if anyone takes the time to reply, or sends me to a forum where this has been covered.

N

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:10 am 

Big thanks goes out to rustycase for such a quick response to this post. Respect. I'm really quite amazed by how helpful folks are on this forum. Definitely feels more like a community than just a discussion forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:14 am 

"Well i'm gonna break... I'm gonna break my-yyyyy... I'm gonna break my rust case........ and ru-uuun..."