How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Free seeds
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:11 am 

My seeds arrived the other day thanks NRustica and I wil be starting them off in the next week of so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:37 pm 

Thanks guys! :P

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:33 am 

Both varieties you sent me started sprouting in 5 days. At 8 days they were all up. Very good germ rate. Looks like every seed I planted came up. They will be moving to the greenhouse today. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:37 am 

114401 Mexico tabasqueño prieto primitive has germinated well (~80%), and seedlings are happy in the tray cells. They will likely go in the ground in ~3 weeks.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:21 am 

That sounds great guys! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:39 pm 

Here's an update on the two varieties you sent me.

405533 was planted out on June 5th. The leaves are dark green and pointed, about twice as long as wide. It looks very similar to a dark virginian at this point. The first bud appeared at 30 days. It has a pink flower and is 3 1/2 to 4' in height. They are at about 75% bloom now.

114574 was planted out on May 30th. It is very similar to 405533 in plant form, but has slightly smaller and a lighter green leaf. Even though it was planted out a week earlier, the first bud appeared a week later at around 40 days. The flowers are very light pink and the plants are averaging 3 1/2 feet.

I have several photos of both, but can't post them to my website until I sort a couple things out. I'll post a link here when I do get them up. If you want to pm me your e-mail address, I will send them to you as an attachment.

So what is the criteria for a plant to be classified as a Rustica? Number of chromosomes? I thought all Rusticas had yellow flowers. Obviously I was mistaken. These plants are definitely not related to the Mohawk / Aztec group of Rusticas.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:31 pm 

Well they are not rustica but primitive. From what the director at the grin told me, primitives tend to have lots of suckers, tend to be shorter and have smaller leaves. But they are not rustica but tobaccum.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures here.

Guillaume

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:52 pm 

Now why did I get it in my head they were Rusticas ?? You clearly said they were primitive types in your posts and when you sent me the seed. When I saw the pink flowers start opening I said to myself, these are tobaccums. Good thing I bagged them. lol 405533 isn't show much sucker development yet while the other is. It will be interesting to see how they cure and smoke.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:26 pm 

Skychaser wrote:
Now why did I get it in my head they were Rusticas ?? You clearly said they were primitive types in your posts and when you sent me the seed. When I saw the pink flowers start opening I said to myself, these are tobaccums. Good thing I bagged them. lol 405533 isn't show much sucker development yet while the other is. It will be interesting to see how they cure and smoke.

lol
not much sucker development is always a good thing.

Let us know how they smoke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:12 pm 

The Tabasqueño Prieto, Pi 114401, (seed from our forum member named NRustica) is of the species N. tabacum, and derives from San Andres Tuxtla, Veracruz, Mexico. Originally collected in 1936. It appears to be a primitive of the Orinoco type, and does not seem to be related to the general class of "Spanish" tobacco (e.g. Vuelta Abajo, the numbered Havanas, Comstock Spanish, Zimmer Spanish, etc). As you can see in the photo below, the bagged heads flop over, since the upper stalk is not very sturdy. Transplant to half of the plants with one blossom open (ARS-GRIN "Maturity") is 52 days. Blossoms are pink. The blossom head develops in a open conformation.

Planted at a density of 3.75 sq. ft. per plant

Plant height: 58-59" (to crowsfoot)
10th leaf: 18" x 9"
Leaf number: 19
Leaf angle: 40º
Tip shape: acute
Venation pattern: angular

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm 

Nice plant, Bob.
Considerably different from what I m accustomed to.
I'll look forward to your burn critique.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:31 am 

deluxestogie wrote:
The Tabasqueño Prieto, Pi 114401, (seed from our forum member named NRustica) is of the species N. tabacum, and derives from San Andres Tuxtla, Veracruz, Mexico. Originally collected in 1936. It appears to be a primitive of the Orinoco type, and does not seem to be related to the general class of "Spanish" tobacco (e.g. Vuelta Abajo, the numbered Havanas, Comstock Spanish, Zimmer Spanish, etc). As you can see in the photo below, the bagged heads flop over, since the upper stalk is not very sturdy. Transplant to half of the plants with one blossom open (ARS-GRIN "Maturity") is 52 days. Blossoms are pink. The blossom head develops in a open conformation.

Planted at a density of 3.75 sq. ft. per plant

Plant height: 58-59" (to crowsfoot)
10th leaf: 18" x 9"
Leaf number: 19
Leaf angle: 40º
Tip shape: acute
Venation pattern: angular

Bob

Nice report Bob. Looking at those leaves, it looks they could be some good filler for cigars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:39 pm 

NRustica wrote:
Looking at those leaves, it looks they could be some good filler for cigars.

They do bear some resemblance to Jalapa, which is from Nicaragua. I'll know in the winter how they smoke.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:34 am 

Just a friendly reminder to those who I sent free seed to not forget to let me know how your grow out went and to get my address from me. Thanks for all your help and I hope the tobacco came in real good for you and I hope it cures and ferments into some really good tobacco for you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:24 am 

Just another reminder that if you were part of this grow out, I'd appreciate it if you would get your saved seed to me. There are a couple who haven't contacted me and your seed should be harvested by now.