How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aztec Rustica seeds
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:00 pm 

Hello skychaser, I know I might be a little late but I was wondering if you havs anymore rustica seeds left? I would love some to give my tobacco that much needed kick.

Im willing to pay via paypal or ebay :mrgreen: or I can send something back in exchange :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:13 am 

Sorry, didn't see this until today. If you send me your mailing address I get some seeds off to you on Monday. No need to send me anything. Except some Pasties and a box of Penguin Bars. Been a while since I had either and I miss them. lol

I have lots of Aztec seed. The pods on the Wyandot are turning brown so there might be a few of those ripe now too. The Isleta Pueblo is about done blooming and I should have loads of those seeds in a couple of weeks.

The ripening pods on the Isleta have started to stink, just like Aztec does when it ripens. Plant these next to the fence by the neighbor you don't like and they will wonder why their yard smells like dog crap for a month . lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:39 am 

Do these turn yellow when ready to pick? Or is this a type you cut the whole plant on?

Seems like the best place ask as i got my seeds from you...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:19 am 

The older leaves should start turning yellow when it's getting past peak bloom. Much easier to cure if they start to yellow up on their own. Most of the leaves won't yellow, but will start drooping when the plant gets mostly bloomed out. It will look thirsty even after watering. Wait until then before picking and they will color up easier. Most leaves won't turn yellow when hanging, but will go from green to brown.

I strung up nearly all my leaves last year. 1000's of em. I tried hanging whole plants too, which worked fine but they take up a huge amount of space to hang whole compared to other plants because of all the branching. About half my leaves dried a nice brown and half dried a dull greenish / gray brown. I hung those in the greenhouse after this years plants were done and the sun and humidity cooked the dull green color right out of them in just a few days and they turned a beautiful brown.

None of the Aztec or Mohawk I have this year are near ripe yet, but they were started pretty late. Yours might be further along. My Isleta Pueblo is a couple weeks away from picking, but getting close. The wind snapped off one of them a week ago so I hung it whole and it's coloring up nicely. The Wyandot I have is ripe and ready to harvest. I'll pick some today. I'm just giving it a few more days to fully ripen the seed pods.

I'll be priming some leaves off several types today. KY 15, KY 8635, Harrow Velvet, VA 116, and Early Virginia Golds. Picked some of the KY 8635 last week and it has already cured to a nice light brown It's the earliest and easiest curing tobacco I have grown yet. The KY 15 is nearly the same, but about a week later and a little better producer, but both types are very nice looking plants. I might plant a couple hundred of these next year, depending on how they smoke. These would be great choices for first time growers since they practically color and cure themselves.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:05 am 

thanks for taking the time to answer!

My rustica is all done flowering, and working on seed pods atm.

KY 8635 and KY 15, mind letting me know how well they smoke? i am looking for a better type for next year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:51 pm 

Man that postage must be adding up. How good is rustica with cigars?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:11 am 

Joe S wrote:
Man that postage must be adding up. How good is rustica with cigars?

lol Yeah, the postage is adding up. But I have gotten more than I have given from other members on this site, so it's all good. I'm just passing on the Karma.

I really don't know how it is in cigars. Once it has aged a bit, it is a very mild flavored smoke, but has to much nicotine for most people to smoke straight, including me. But it does make an excellent blend for cigarettes. My current blend is 1 part Izmir, 2 parts Aztec and 3 parts Burley TN 90. It's mmmm mmmm good. :lol:

Hey... RageFury I finally got those seeds you asked for into the mail today. Sorry it took me so long. Doh'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:11 am 

Hello Skychaser :wink:
I know it's been a while since you posted this Fantastic Offer but i was wondering if you might have a few seeds left that i could try with my Golden Virginia, Orient Samsoun, Tennessee Burley & Adonis. I have Approx. 1000 seeds of each (From a Grower in Germany (Bought on Ebay)) and would be More than happy to Trade a few of each if you would like to try any?
Good Luck with your Crop's this Year 8)
Marc.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:22 pm 

i am going to be a first time grower this year, and would also like some extra seeds if available. thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm 

PM me your mailing address and I get some seeds off to you in the mail this week. You should be able to grow some darn good tobacco there. The Okanagan Valley has a lot longer growing season than I do, even though we are practically neighbors. :)
Are you growing to make cigarettes, cigars or pipe tobacco?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:05 pm 

well i am at the north end and a bit higher uo in altitude, so frost could present a problem anytime till july and again befor the end of august, but i will sure try. i am planning on a bit of both, as i just quit cigarettes, but my buddy smokes those, i am getting back into pipes and my dad does enjoy pipes and a few cubans lol, if i woulda thought about it, he was just in cuba before christmas, he coulda got me some seeds somehow lol oh well.
pm sent. :lol: thanks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:07 pm 

Would it be too much of a problem for you to send some of those seeds to GA?? I'm lookin to plant for the first time down here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:04 am 

Hey skychaser, im am new to tobacco planitng, i already have some "indian tobacco" rustica growing (from richters). I was hoping you would be able to send me some of the varieties you have. I suspect taller varieties would be better as i am growing them in full sun and they only get about a foot or 2 high before flowering. thnx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:41 pm 

"Indian Tobacco" can mean most anything. Usually its either Mohawk, Midewiwan, or Aztec. All of them are Rusticas. Send me your mailing address and I'll send you some Aztec seeds. If you want a tall Rustica, then I will send you some Isleta Pueblo seeds too. It grows to about 4 1/2 feet.

What are you growing for? Cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco?

Sky

Hey GA_Boy... Did any of those seeds I sent you sprout yet? Where's our picts? lol :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm 

i will use them for cigars mainly and they should make interesting ingredients in smoking blends.The indian rustica is from richters.com and it flowers at 1-2 feet it think (i mound them up to avoid strong winds blowing them over+. 45- 60 days or so to flower.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next