How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My first plants
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:26 pm 

So I'm growing some Virginia, Corojo, Burley and Latakia in Helsinki, Finland. I bought the seeds on ebay from several different vendors and started them around the beginning of april.
I was able to rent a growing plot 5 minutes walk away from us and decided to plant the tobacco there along with a bunch of vegetables that my girlfriend was growing.

I made some mistakes and learned a lot and was finally able to get 16 plants large enough to plant outside about halfway i july.

We've had a pretty chilly summer so growing has been slow. In the last 1 or 2 weeks it's been getting better and the plants are coming along nicely. All in all they grow a lot better than I expected and I am absolutely going to use what I learned next year and plant a bunch more of these.
I also have one plant in the back yard in a pot, which is close to 3ft tall and is growing a flower bud on top already.
There are around 500 similar lots sized around 1000sqft around us. Lots of people have been asking me what these plants are :)

Post subject: Re: My first plants
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:12 pm 

Wow, it really looks nice , beautiful and green Nature; Your plants look very good ! Last year, I planted late, too, beginning of july and everything went well.I am in France and the weather has been strange this summer. One day hot, one day chilly and one day rainy....Anyway , my plants are growing and seem very happy ! And I have been to Finland a few years ago, in Oulu. I loved it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 am 

Still going strong :)
Soon i'll have to find a way to dry and cure these. The winter gets really dry, so i guess ineed some kind of humidity controlled space for the drying part. Then build a kiln or something for curing.

http://i.imgur.com/0J4YuIq.jpg

Last edited by Moebbels on Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:44 am 

A great plot of land !
All the plants look very healthy.

My bet is you will do very well in the end !

If very dry at end of the season after harvest, string the leaf on 1 meter pieces of wire, hang in shade/rain cover, with 4cm spacing for air flow... it will cure fine... Bring indoors to hang if it gets too humid.

Put them outside at night to increase humidity and box up the next morning when leaf is flexible.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:51 pm 

Hey, thanks for the tips :)
Temperatures are now unusually low, going to about 50f during the night and probable not above 70 anymore during the days.
Humidity swings between 50% and 70% depending on temps but my plants are not quite ready yet. I fear that when time comes to harvest, night time temps will go below freezing.

If low temperatures in the 50s to 60s is fine, then I could probably just let the leaves hang on strings in the back yard and put a tarp or something on top to protect it from the dew?
Other option would be to try the color cure in a pile -method.

rustycase wrote:
A great plot of land !
All the plants look very healthy.

My bet is you will do very well in the end !

If very dry at end of the season after harvest, string the leaf on 1 meter pieces of wire, hang in shade/rain cover, with 4cm spacing for air flow... it will cure fine... Bring indoors to hang if it gets too humid.

Put them outside at night to increase humidity and box up the next morning when leaf is flexible.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:35 pm 

If you could string them up under a bush or tree, then protect them from whatever falls of that, they would be fine.
50f - 70f is no problem.

Plenty of curing pics in through the photo gallery.

Best
rc