How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground up spices
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:24 pm 

Well in a fit of desperation I tried this. I've got some tobacco that is about eight months old. A mix of burley Virginia and turkish all shredded up and in a paper bag in the garden shed - basically all I grew last year.

It's all quite dry and harsh and tastelesseven if you bring it into case. But I took about a hundred grams out and sprayed it with honey water then microwaved it in short bursts over about an hour to dry it down a bit.

Then I took one star anise and two or three cloves and ground then up to powder and tossed them through the mix.

Bizarrely enough is quite smooth and far less offensive smelling than before.

Anyone else try this? I guess I'll know tomorrow morning whether this was a sensible idea

Post subject: Re: Ground up spices
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:03 pm 

Well......

Both those are common additives in cigarettes.
Well, anise is similar to licorice, and fennel. Flavorings used in tobacco.
Kreteks, also know as bidis, are a popular clove cigarette, in/from Indonesia.

If you enjoy the flavor enhancement, good for you! :-)

IMO, honey will most likely not bring a flavor to the smoke, but the sugars will enhance the burn rate.

All sorts of fun stuff to experiment with.

There's a few lists of the major company recipes around here if you wish to run a search.

Long ago I read a review by a pipe smoking fellow who attempted to influence his pipe tobacco with a dose of his favorite sippin' whiskey. After a number of tries he reported the qualities he enjoyed in the liquor did not translate into anything desirable when dried, and burned. Lesson? Don't waste good whiskey by pouring it on tobacco leaf !
Cheap alcohol can be used just as easily as a carrier for other chemical flavorings you may wish to impart. Which usually means vodka.

YMMV
rc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:53 am 

I was as much curious a to whether anyone had used whole spices rather than essences or extracts.

I wanted to be a purist like so many on here, but my tobacco just tastes nasty by itself. Every year I get excited smoking the bottom leaves and then disappointed as I get higher up the plant and the smoke gets harsher. Admittedly I got some quite good smoke off a few leaves that had sat in a cardboard box over winter one time but the current lot doesn't seem to have improved over the year.

So. .. for those of you who are having trouble smoking your leaves. . And have trawled through the Web looking for flavoring recipes that just aren't there try this.

For 6oz or150g shredded leaf
In 1/2 cup of hot water dissolve:
1tsp cocoa powder
2tsp honey
2tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1tbsp whisky

Pour this through filter paper into a spray bottle

Spread the shredded leaf over baking paper and spray the liquid over, toss/turn the leaf and repeat spray over and again. I weighed my spray bottle and I think I sprayed around 75grams of liquid onto the leaf

Microwave the wet leaf in short bursts to dry it out. This is an important step by the way as the heat seems to make the difference. Place it on a plate on the baking paper and nuke for 20 seconds on high. Remove from the microwave, toss/separate and allow to cool then repeat. I pick half up and spread it on another piece of paper to cool in between nuking and wipe the condensation of the plate too.

When you have got the leaf dryer - just too wet to comfortably put into a tube machine - take one whole star anise and for or five whole cloves and grind them to a fine powder in a mortar. Sprinkle the spices over the leaf and toss until well mixed through.

Seal into a zip lock bag and wait at least two days before using. This lets the leaf recover somehow from the heat treatment and lets the spices be absorbed.

You can't taste the cloves or the aniseed but they do make the difference and also make the sidestream smoke smell a bit better. Smoke is much less harsh.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:02 am 

When I say 2tsp of honey and sugar by the way I actually mean 1 generously heaped tsp of each.

I found an article that says what the various things do by the way

Honey contains reducing sugars that acidify the smoke and make it easier to draw on without coughing

Both anise and clove contain anesthetics that numb the gag reflex and make it easier to draw on the smoke without coughing

Cocoa opens the air passages allowing the smoke to permeate deeper into the lungs...

Sounds safe huh?