How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Havana Gold Blend?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:43 am 

Hey everyone!

I wanted to make a more formal post about blending with Havana Gold. I'm completely new to this (confession, I've only had 1 cigar in my life thus far! lol), and I got some Havana Gold growing as we speak. I'm looking for suggestions, does anyone have any recommendation for what I should grow to blend with my Havana Gold?

Also, I was thinking of possibly curing the tobacco with other flavorings (IE curing the tobacco in a box which also held a container of liquid such as fruit juice, steak juice/fat etc.) I'm probably making a fool of myself for asking, but I'm feeling really adventurous with this whole process!

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Havana Gold Blend?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:33 am 

Welcome aboard HTGT.
Sounds like fun trying to do some aromatic infusion. Please tell us how it goes!
Best
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:42 pm 

Update:

I just went on a bit of a whim and ordered 3 new varieties: Keller, Yellow Mammoth, and Florida Sumatra. I'll start growing all 3 additions as soon as they arrive, if anyone has some ideas for blends or would like me to try something and let you know how it is, please feel welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:21 am 

Any real cigar guy growing leaf aficionado should have Habano 2000, Criollo 98, and Corojo 99. Just saying...I will bet there are 1000 more to choose from.

BTW, welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:48 pm 

Havana Gold is a nice leaf for a binder, wrapper if smooth. Here are some that I grow.
Ecuadorian shade , Conn. Broad leaf, Viso, Dom. Ligero, Seco, Oscuro, Fl. Sumatra, Valado, Kosturi, Penn. Red, Scantic, Swarr, Dixie shade, Lancaster, Burley, Jalapa, Dom. Olor
You may want to try growing some San Juan Del La Punta, I think the PI # is 112162 TI 195. Or some Oja De Velstago PI # 114581- TI 665.
Havana 142 (Lonnies) is good.
The only things I incorp. in cigar leaf for sticks are, Vanilla, Almond, and Honey. That is for the Wife and son. I prefer standard leaf. I use Latakia some times. I do infuse leaf in a cold flash jar with liquer to step it up also, I like VO or 197 proff cherry in a mason jar for 12 or so hrs. I bring it back down to a smokeable case. Butt that is more of a cavendish type of leaf, just whole to roll sticks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:37 pm 

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I was thinking of simmering a mix of rum, honey, and vanilla, and spritzing the leaves with it. This is coming from a total noobie, so does anyone know if this is even something plausible?

Also, does anyone have any experience with alternative glues? I was thinking it would be cool to use honey

Thanks