How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: a few flavoring questions.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:32 am 

Id like to know some more detailed information about a couple specific flavoring ingredients, any info anyone has would be great ;>

first off, molasses.
what does adding molasses/sugar do other than, i assume, make the end product sweeter?
should sulfured or un-sulfured molasses be used? (I've seen some sources say the sulfur is important, and others specify no sulfur)
if so why?
also would adding sugars to something you smoke make it less safe to smoke? (i seem to recall something about burnt sugars causing cancer :S)

second, PH adjusters.
I've seen a few things used to adjust PH levels of tobacco, everything from simple baking soda to obscure chemicals I've never herd of.
I've seen claims that it makes the nicotine "free-base"
whats the deal here?

id like to try a light flavoring at some point, but the main point of growing my own for me is to have a more natural additive free product, so I don't want too add anything I don't have to.
I'm thinking my first attempt will be something like rum with a small ammount of molasses disolved in it, hopefully giving me something like an old-fashioned navy tobacco flavor profile.
would anyone recommend adding anything else?

Post subject: Re: a few flavoring questions.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:41 am 

Long time ago I watched a vid by a pipe guy who said the qualities he liked in his favorite liquor did not seem to translate to tobacco he was attempting to flavor. He advised against squandering the good liquor.

Many of the natural chems in the tobacco are not water soluble.
Think they are transient in alcohol?

I think they do have flavorings that are effective with a single drop on a cigarette tube.
Never tried those, myself. rc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:57 am 

I grow my own tobacco so it is additive free. Otherwise it is much easier and faster to just buy it. A higher PH smoke will allow more nicotine to be available to the lungs. Perique is blended to raise the PH of the smoke and is easy to make but takes time. You can use anything that raises the PH of the smoke as long as it is safe to burn but if you need more nicotine I would suggest to just grow a higher nicotine strain or smoke more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:16 pm 

ushog wrote:
I grow my own tobacco so it is additive free. Otherwise it is much easier and faster to just buy it. A higher PH smoke will allow more nicotine to be available to the lungs. Perique is blended to raise the PH of the smoke and is easy to make but takes time. You can use anything that raises the PH of the smoke as long as it is safe to burn but if you need more nicotine I would suggest to just grow a higher nicotine strain or smoke more.

I strive to be as natural and additive free as I can as well, the PH thing was more out of curiosity actually ;p
i'm definatly not trying to emulate commercial tobaccos.

But I see pretty much every pipe blend and flavoring has either molasses or sugar in it, and am also curious as to why its used so commonly and what it might do other than add sweetness.