How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Please Help with varieties that fit together
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:35 am 

Hi all,
I grow for third season now and through many mistakes I am slowly coming closer to smokeable hand rolled cigarette tobacco. I hope to read your opinions on this:

What seeds I should buy for the next season to create the taste similar to strong French caporal tobacco. More simply any tobacco dark in color strong in taste not necessarily to rich of nicotine. My idea was some orient not to much, some air cured dark tobacco strong in taste that will be the main component of the mixture, possibly a bit of something else of lighter color just for the pleasure of the eye and also to make the taste deeper or more interesting.

It should be all be simple to grow and cure as the summer is short here and I can only sun cure the orient or hang the other varieties in the attic. Your ideas? Two or three varieties and where can I buy it....

Post subject: Re: Please Help with varieties that fit together
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:15 pm 

If I were to PM my mailing address would you mail me a few French caporal ciggies so I would have a clue what you are looking for?
Here in estados unidos we smoke marlboro reds. lol
Best
rc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:49 pm 

Have you ever tasted old Galouises without filter (Light blue pocket) or Gitanes without filter? I spent two years in Provence in early 90s and I used to like the taste, of course there was more nicotine in that time. When I started rolling my own I was buying AJJA 17 Tobacco (Red pack - I say it because there is also blue pack that I never tasted). Once my French friend brought me a brick of tobacco in cheap grey paper saying that it is the tobacco that old guys these Petanque players that you see in every park in Provence were smoking. It was written CAPORAL on it. I guess that it is not the name of the blend but of the cheap tobacco generally, the tobacco that was given to soldiers when the state had monopoly on tobacco in France.

I know very little about it and my english is not good enough to describe the taste, but there must be some people on this forum that smoked cigarettes that I mentioned.
I want simple dark tobacco strong on taste preferably for beginners when it comes to growing and curing....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:59 pm 

oblomofko,

The translator is working very well.

Still, I don't use euro cigarettes... never did. Know nothing about them.

We have a large number of Euro members here... I hope they can help you!
rc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:37 pm 

I have not had the opportunity to smoke French tobacco but did smoke Dunhill from the UK for a while. You can buy flavorings for Dunhill so you should be able to find flavorings for the tobacco you are looking for.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:51 pm 

I say it different way, I am not perfectionist. The greatest problem of my previous blends was that it was too soft in taste. I love tobacco that is dark in color and cuts slightly in my throat. I don't know - Samson is hand rolling tobacco that is possibly known worldwide. They sell dark one in black pack - not my favorite but still acceptable smoke.

No problem. What I have this year is good enough for me. Much better than last year. I stopped fermenting and it is already strong enough. I fermented only small part that I add as 1/4 or 1/5 of the blend....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm 

Shihan wrote:
I have not had the opportunity to smoke French tobacco but did smoke Dunhill from the UK for a while. You can buy flavorings for Dunhill so you should be able to find flavorings for the tobacco you are looking for.

Thank you Shihan. That's completely new for me that I can buy flavorings . I will search for it, but I will probably keep it simple - 2 or 3 varieties, dry it, wait few months, mix it, roll it, smoke it.
From Dunhill I know only Early Morning Pipe (with some latakia in it). I liked it unfortunately I never became a regular pipe smoker. It occupies hands so much.... Pipe tobaccos they are different level far beyond what I want to have.

I am drying some Bolivian criollo, Izmir, little crittenden and some other variety that was sold to me as oriental but it has big long leafs and looks more like burley. Will try some combinations when it is ready and who knows..... What I tasted so far seems promising....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:31 pm 

When my relatives came from old country they had their name changed , Just by signing paper, they didn't understand and the people filing paper work didn't understand. So the types of tobacco may have name changes. Might be worth while for you to try to order a little of different types or find some one that can send a couple leaves of different types to try and see what you need . To be honest I only heard of a couple of those and only tried about half of those I heard of . And that was years ago. so looks like hard job unless you can get samples to try with American names or with seeds to go with them. Just my opinion. Lee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:35 pm 

Thanks for reaction smbdyiam. Yes, you are probably right. The only european cigarette rolling tobacco that surely exists in USA under the same name is Drum but as far as I know they sell only halfzware and I prefer zware. OK let's forget the name of commercial blends and strange words like caporal, zware and halfzware.... MAy be this could help. There was written on the pack of one of my favorite tobaccos that it is a mixture of burleys and some dark Kentucky tobaccos.....

When I introduced myself few days ago, someone sugested that "TN 90 or TN 86 and also KY 15 or KY 17 will give it some kick and maybe some dark virginians like Shirey, Stag Horn or Goose Creek Red". I will probably try those. And I plan to add some 10 or 20 % of oriental. Will tell you next year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 am 

A dark air cured will add a strong flavor and nicotine. I'd recommend some VA312. Sears Special is another Dark Air Cured that is "strong".

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:42 am 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
A dark air cured will add a strong flavor and nicotine. I'd recommend some VA312. Sears Special is another Dark Air Cured that is "strong".

Thank you a lot Jitterbugdude. This is probably what I am looking for. I've searched for seeds quickly and both seem hard to be found. But I will try little more this evening.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm 

This is what I found here on this site: Zware, meaning "heavy" in Dutch, consists mainly of fire cured Kentucky, Latakia and air cured Paraguay. Zware tobaccos were the type I was smoking...

Just for this reason I was repairing the chimney of an old smoking chamber that my father used for making smoked meat and sausages back in communist times. I haven't tried yet. All the process seem bit complicated and long for me and also oak wood that I want to use is one of expensive ones in my country. I may try apple wood, it smells nicely or possibly pine.

I should try with little crittenden rather than with Criollo... Am I right?

Anyboody knows what is the taste of air cured Paraguay like?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:11 am 

I used to love Gitanes and Galouises, but they've not been the same for many years now. Perhaps they used to contain something which is now illegal? Many cigarettes did back then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:13 pm 

I remember that there was more nicotine and tar back in early 90s but the taste seem similar to me. It is true that I haven't smoked it recently. I had Galouises rolling tobacco last season given to me by a friend. Not bad. Do you have an idea what tobacco they use for it?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

oblomoffka wrote:
I remember that there was more nicotine and tar back in early 90s but the taste seem similar to me. It is true that I haven't smoked it recently. I had Galouises rolling tobacco last season given to me by a friend. Not bad. Do you have an idea what tobacco they use for it?

It sounds like your missing burley or dark air .fire cured..like others said..if the burley you grow is too strong..just toast it in the oven to make it more milder..