How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Canadian blend and flavour
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:06 pm 

Hey all,

I'm definitaly a newb to all of this but in my month or so of smoking "fresh from the farm" tobacco I've definitely came up with something quite satisfying to me. I've generally smoked du maurier regular and players filter in the past.

I use a very light tasting VFC for the bulk of the blend. Then I add about 15-20% (give or take) aged burley. Both are shredded to the same consistancy, unfortunately I'm using a pasta maker for this. Then the two are mixed thoroughly.

The next step is to add some flavouring and additives and do a bit of toasting.

To 90ml of water I add
- 1/8 tsp of brown sugar
- 2 drops of ansie extract
- 2 drops of honey
- 1/16 tsp instant coffee
- 1/32 tsp DAP (diammonium phosphate)

Note: DAP is used to raise the smokes PH level, this causes the nicotine to become freebase (which there is a lot of in commercial smokes and if you don't do this your not going to get the same kick). You don't need much, its very cheap and you can get it from most places that sell brewery supplies, they use it as a yeast nutrient. Yes, this is basically now crack tobacco, don't judge me - it was the tobacco companies who got me hooked :)

Preheat your over to 250'F

Spread your shredded tobacco on large cookie sheet. The above recipe does about 200 grams of tobacco (little less than 1/2 pound).

Use a (clean!) windex type spray nozzle and spray about half the sauce evenly over the blended tobacco. Allow to soak for a minute or two before turning the tobacco and mixing it all up. Re-spray evenly with remaining sauce. Allow to sit for a minute or two.

Place pan with tobacco in oven and set your timer for 10 minutes. At around the 5 minute mark take the tobacco out and turn the tobacco over and mix it up (gently because you don't want to break your tobacco strands up). Fluff the tobacco to create air pockets. Place back in oven. This procedure should take you less than a minute. Put back into oven for remainder of timer. When time is up check the tobacco, it should be slightly dry, not too dry. This is something I can explain and you'll just need to learn through experience. Once you get the tobacco to a good moisture level and it has cooled off store it in an air tight container. Keep it in the container for a day or two, the taste will change drastically over this period of time. It then should be ready to smoke. You can change up with recipe with lots of different things, I've tried vanilla, white sugar, inverted sugars, cocoa, and molassess all of which produced reasonable cigarette tobacco. Less is better when your dealing with this though, it doesn't take much to have a huge impact on the outcome.

Good luck if you try this, I'd be interested to see feedback from anyone who tries this.

Last edited by johnny on Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Canadian blend and flavour
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:37 pm 

i was going to make a brick with my cased baccy,,

but i may give your '' toasting'' approach a try<<???

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:18 pm 

Lowering the pH decreases the nicotine availability. Raising the pH increases it.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 am 

Thanks delux, edited my post :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:08 am 

Hey ! This sounds really good.
Did you make any changes to the recipe lately, or did you stick to this one?
Thank you for sharing !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:58 pm 

If it were me I'd lose the DAP first...

I just added some of the Little Dutch I grew from DS seed and it made a HUGE improvement to the quality of my smoke!

Thanks Bob!

...that is to say, if you can, it's better to make improvements through blending different strains than adding different sauce.

Best
rc

and I gotta say, I think I'm addicted to using at least a little bit of commercial baccy that has PG in it, in my own blend.