How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nicotine Extract
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:05 am 

Does anyone here have experience adding nicotine extract to processed tobacco?
Flavorless, pure, and perfectly potent nicotine extract is widely availible. Is there a good reason that we aren't adding it cigarettes?

-Alex & Bobby

Post subject: Re: Nicotine Extract
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:22 am 

Welcome aboard HTGT !

Nic content is generally Not lacking with homegrown tobacco, especially if there is Burley in the blend.
Some of the strains have a higher content than that !

Best
rc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:48 am 

Greetings!
Thanks for the fast reply.
I ask because we are planning on reducing the actual tobacco content of the cigarette. We are gonna add fillers that are more mild in the flavor department but less toxic than tobacco. Many brands of herbal cigarettes have already accomplished this, offering blends with little to no tobacco content and, hence, a less carcinogenic smoke.

However, the biggest problem with such cigarettes is that they are lacking in nicotine.
Obviously, less tobacco = less nicotine, no tobacco = no nicotine.
Although these blends are great from a public health standpoint since they eliminate the addictive quality of cigarettes, they are surely not appealing to the average smoker. Why would anyone want to smoke something that is more expensive, tastes worse, AND fails to provide the same alertness/high of traditional cigarettes?

We reckon that if herbal cigarettes could deliver the same amount of nicotine as traditional cigarettes, they would become somewhat more palatable to the average smoker.

We are gonna get our own lab space from Jan.-June.
So, we’ll start playing around with this next month.
We'll be sure to post some pics~

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:22 am 

Wouldn't adding nicotine make them addictive like cigarettes and people will then be smoking 50 herbal cigarettes a day rather than the couple they might enjoy now?

Also I think nicotine isn't the only alkaloid you'll have to add to make them addictive like cigarettes.

I reckon what you want to do will invariably change a less harmful product into a damaging one, merely by trying to give it a chemical hook. The reason I say that is because I'd find it extremely unlikely that a smoker will be smoking herbal cigarettes in the same quantity without a chemical hook compared to one with a hook added. The most harm comes from the frequency and quantity of the vegetative matter being burnt I would imagine. Which do you think is worse, someone who smokes a couple tobacco cigarettes a day or someone smoking 50 herbal cigarettes a day?

Anyway good luck with it.

Cheers,
ANT