How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your home garden may land you in jail
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:25 pm 

Seems a might paranoid to me. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:37 pm 
There are a couple of good reads for folks who may not be savvy to some of the "corporate" growing and food processing techniques. "Food, Inc." is a good one (also available on NetFlix).

"The Omnivore's Dilemma" is another one that is good. Some people may not like or "get" Michael Pollan's writing style - but he is informative, and gives a point of view that at a very minimum - makes you start thinking more about our society and it's "wants" that are fulfilled by the corporate giants.

my 2 cents...

Rex S. / Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:21 pm 

Thanks Lonnie for some balance. I worked for corporate agriculture for 30 years, and the FDA has strict protocols for their research submissions. Guys who fake data often wear numbers! Of course public companies have to make profits, they have shareholders. But rest assured we're not trying to kill off our customers.
In the next 20-30 years we are going to have to feed millions or billions of more people with fewer and fewer aerable lands. How could we do it without GM crops, farm raised seafood, and all the other technology that we can muster? There is not enough land in the world to allow all those hungry people to eat free range chickens or organic grains. Right now the rich people of the world can demand antibiotic free, hormone free, organic, natural and on and on. Just don't vote for laws that infringe on my right to choose what foods I want to buy for my family.
ps - in my working retirement, I work as a butcher in retail grocery, boy do we hear it all!
Lipantxguy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:10 am 

Hi --

I looked at the dates on this thread and they are pretty old!

I wonder how the new federal Food Safety Act works with state laws? For instance, in Texas I can sell the produce off my farm without any license. But according to the Food Safety Act, I need to comply with a new webwork of federal regulations and inspections and tracking paperwork and and and....pay a fee...and....take classes annually....and....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:36 am 

......... and pay taxes .. an fee's and .. and ... and .. and .. enought red tape to wrap all ur Christmas presents from now on..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:25 am 

JoeM wrote:
Monstant has already successfully taken over the worlds food supply by pattening Vegetable seeds, tobacco, etc...Taking over companies to patten their seeds. Though the constitution doesn't allow a patent on "Life" Monsanto has successfully done so.
The US Dept Of Agriculture has a revolving door, their heads go from working for Monstanto to back to their cush Fed Jobs

After a while, none of us will be able to grow our own seeds for vegetable gardens, tobacco, etc... Vegetable seeds will be like marijuana is now, outlawed. Their goal is to take control of the worlds food supply, basically they already have and it's just a matter of time. Their seeds are genetically altered to accept the weed killer Round Up, and the crops produce vegetable plants that die after production as they are injected with a time release slow poison. They are not real vegetables, they are fake vegetables. They are also trying to do this with Fish

Some states have banned these genetically altered seeds but all Montanto has to do is throw their genetically altered seeds into the farmers crops and their vegetabls tainted. They are doing this in Mexico right now, killing their crops. Monstanto sues farmers to put them out of busienss.

See the movie "The Future of Food" and books out by Andrew Kimball.

You are right that Monsanto has created a genetically modified soybean. The plant can be covered with round-up and still grow strong. How this effects us is unknown. It is also true that they have a patent on this, though I really don't know how. Monsanto has also sued farmers for cleaning there own seeds and attempting to plant seeds from there own plants. This is to force farmers to come back each year. I have heard they attempted to sue a farmer when a seed blew into his fields and germinated, but cannot confirm this.
I have never heard of any time release poison. I believe the plants die because of the way the are harvested. Time release poison would be clever but very difficult and costly.
I don't believe that a single genetically modified soybean plant could ruin a crop, but if the farmer continued to clean and reuse his own seed, it is possible that he could plant all of the unwanted soybeans into his fields. This is assuming the farmer cant tell the difference.
I have spoke with some small time farmers who hate Monsanto. They say that they are quick to get you up and started, more than helpful. But after you get going you are stuck with them, like some contract with the devil. I don't know if this was their personal experience, or farm legend.
I don't think we as homegrowers need to worry much about Monsanto, as they have no use for our small scale productions. Personally I don't buy Monsanto products, but that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:53 am 

Hi --

Just to set the record straight, companies that breed food crops have always required licenses when you buy their seed. This year I wanted to grow some sesame, still do. Contacted Sesesco a company which has a non-shattering sesame hybrid to get some seed. Their contract requires me to sell my crop to them at pretty much whatever price they offer. I passed it up.

Monsanto got a patent on their Round-up resistant seed because it is a feat of genetic engineering, not a natural genetic occurance, and it cost them lots of money to develop it. They have a right to recoup their investment and make a profit. Nobody has to buy their seed. Nobody is forced at a point of a gun to buy it.

Monsanto has produced many revolutionary products which have allowed farmers to grow food much cheaper and saved many people from dying of starvation.

All in all, Monsanto should be lauded as a great company.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:45 pm 

Bob

I worry about eating food thats been altered to live in chemicals such as roundup . To me natural is best and my family will raise our food because we can . This is the 3rd year we got away from 90% of store bought veggies . We still buy a few but only the one we can't or haven't raised .

But since last year we haven't bought a bean or any corn . And most veggies we buy are bought from local farmers that I trust to sell me good old fashion veggies grown the old fashion way and we can them . But I'm smart enough to understand lipantxguy and the point he is making .

and in my opinion the day will come when we can not feed everyone even with all the magic the most profitable company can muster up . But I'm not so certain all this genetic engeneering is a perminant solution . Sure it might buy us a hundred years but then what ?

To me were only postponing whats bound to happen sooner or later . Some day real balance will come no other way around this that I can see . Unless we start injecting people with some sort of man made energy source the day will come when we simply can not feed everyone . Sickness and starvation will follow and a true balance will occure .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:53 pm 

Amen my friend.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:11 am 

Hi --

Late last century, a couple of guys received the Nobel Prize in economics for disproving Malthusian economics, that being the theory that the food supply can never catch up to the demand. This theory, popularly believed for over 100 years, has resulted in the notion that the earth is overpopulated and has been used to justify wars and mass-starvation as necessary evils.

These guys showed that science will be able to stay ahead of the curve of food supply vs demand indefinitely. Genetic engineering is certainly one way to increase productivity in the food supply. Nano-technology will probably end the whole issue when wastes can be converted to food at the sole cost of supplying heat energy.

In the meantime, we are required to increase productivity in farming by methods that are available and Monsanto et al are making it possible to feed the world within our economic abilities. The alternative to "chemical farming" is truly starvation on a wide scale and economic chaos.

I grow lots of my own vegetable crops and trade them for lots of meat. I fish in private lakes which are pollution free and add many lbs of protein from those sources. I buy my meat from a guy who raises his own cattle and doesn't feed them soy beans, just corn and fodder from local farmers who also minimize their chemical additions to their fields.

But the masses who live in cities cannot afford to do that. They don't have acres to plant nor do they have the time, education or inclination to work in the fields. Their contribution to the whole is to produce goods needed live and to increase productivity in other ways.

The cost of concentrated populations in cities is mass-produced food by the cheapest means possible.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:03 pm 

Bob

I'm sure those people in africa thats making mud cookies could eat chit from anyone eating good and most likley have better health ( more protien ) in their diet .

But I'm not eatin chit not even nano chit no way no how . I don't care how much free energy it produces ( heat ) . They gonna have to ship that crap someplace but here . But I'd guess somewhere some ones hungry enough that they would be happy to get it .

But feeding people is not the only problem that comes with over populating . Other things like clean water and air to breath plays a big part also . When you stack to much chit to close together especialy if your tryin to feed them chit also chit is going to happen .

Now I agree were learning how to stack chit mighty high without it toppling over but keep adding to the pile and it will fall over . This nano chit might give us 500 maybe 1000 years but it has to end at some point .

When we reach this point a balance will occure

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:00 pm 

bob_kemp wrote:
Hi --
Monsanto got a patent on their Round-up resistant seed because it is a feat of genetic engineering, not a natural genetic occurance, and it cost them lots of money to develop it. They have a right to recoup their investment and make a profit. Nobody has to buy their seed. Nobody is forced at a point of a gun to buy it.

Actually, and not to start an agrument with anyone...but...google terminator gene. This is a neat little gene that has been grafted into the Monsanto seed that will render the seed from this crop useless, as in it won't grow. Now, this stuff can cross pollinate with heritage crops and guess what...the terminator gene becomes active in any of the seed that is grown from those crops.

bob_kemp wrote:
Monsanto has produced many revolutionary products which have allowed farmers to grow food much cheaper and saved many people from dying of starvation.

Monsanto is a company that is out to control the food supply...who needs to overthrow a government when you can starve them out? This is a very evil company...and I use that term conservitively....

bob_kemp wrote:
All in all, Monsanto should be lauded as a great company.

Bob

Monsanto should be dismantled, and every piece of research they have ever done burned. Another thing to google is the doomsday vault...very interesting read..Just shows you where this company is headed...