How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Your home garden may land you in jail
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:47 pm 

IF bill HR 875/S425 passes and becomes law and the new government department enforces the law. As it is in the bill you could face a fine or jail for growing your own garden.

http://vegancowprotect.wordpress.com/20 ... ored-bill/

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h875/show

Post subject: Re: Your home garden may land you in jail
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:42 pm 

Just sent emails to my representatives asking them not to support the bill. Who knows what's next? This government is out of control.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:13 pm 

Please, follow up your emails with phone calls and hand written, not typed letters. This gets their attention even more so. And don't quit. Keep on calling it is 800 number.
Also go check Thomas.gov to find out when it is in committee and call those committee members,etc. Make some noise!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:59 pm 

mickey wrote:
IF bill HR 875/S425 passes and becomes law and the new government department enforces the law. As it is in the bill you could face a fine or jail for growing your own garden.

http://vegancowprotect.wordpress.com/20 ... ored-bill/

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h875/show

I breezed through both texts...I'm not sure what to be concerned with, HR 875 is meant to broaden and enhance food inspection - and S425 is meant to require chain of custody for the processing of food. Both probably a knee jerk reaction to recent salmanella outbreaks, not that I see this being incredibly necessary, but I didn't see anywhere that would indicate outlawing gardening.

Not that I read every sentence...I can see small farms not liking this due to increased red tape, but this might be a little fearmongering. Though I'm glad to have read it.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:26 pm 

The wording in the bill is very broad, And while the intent is a good thing. Except for organic farming, If the new government department wants to enforce this bill as it is they could use the law to protect us from our home gardens. Who knows what the new government department will do about tobacco in the interest of public health.

Monsanto is pushing this bill.
You know what happened when Philip Morris pushed the tax bill.

Remember it's easer to stop or modify a bill than to repeal a law.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:11 pm 

Hey Grokfish, I said the exact same thing the first time that I read it.

It used to be: When a law said you did this... that is what it meant, if not mentioned it was not included.

Now days: When a law is general, and does not specifically say, this is only to be enforced on commercial food services, then it very likely is all inclusive.
Actually, food is inspected, if it is for commercial use, there are many, many guidelines, and departments who operate only to check these things.

Along that line, in Arkansas there are people who go pump a gallon of gas and measure it to be sure it is a gallon, they weigh bulk items at random to test that the weights are true on the package. And the health inspectors look the whole facility over, as does the fire marshalls, and on and on.

Now, at farmers markets, or roadside sellers, there is no one checking their scales, no one is looking into their procedures whether it is a bake sale item, or a garden produce item. We get to use our own best judgement, we decide if it looks right for the price, and we decide to wash the produce, or not. And this is an area that I like, but for some people they would feel more confident if even these areas are regulated. Then, someone thinks, well how was it grown and there you go.

This bill is so general, so open to interpretation, it could easily shut down those places not regulated, by present law. Which does include our gardens, our yards and on...

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:04 pm 

Read the section on who is a 'producer' of food. It is way vague and very, very broad. Although not explicitly stated, it could put an end to local farmers markets where locally grown produce (by small independents) is sold.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:48 am 

This the type of goverment everbody(not exactly you guys) voted for. I have to look at the fine print later, because often many laws contridict themselves.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:05 am 

Ozark lady wrote:
Please, follow up your emails with phone calls and hand written, not typed letters. This gets their attention even more so. And don't quit. Keep on calling it is 800 number.
Also go check Thomas.gov to find out when it is in committee and call those committee members,etc. Make some noise!

also IF its off season and the reps are home and its at all feasable go knock on thier door, may wanna call first. call and talk to the local news and forward a print copy. write letter to the editor or WE. blow up a copy for the local farmers market and highlight, perhaps with a side bar.

BUT DO NOT (or try not to) come off looking like a nut job

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 12:55 pm 

I sent links this morning to the local free paper. They're big on supporting organic farming and the local farmers market. I suggested they do an article. Couldn't hurt.

(edited to add) I also sent the links to my local newspaper, they talk an organic/buy local talk, now I'll see if they walk the walk. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:25 am 

judas wrote:

also IF its off season and the reps are home and its at all feasable go knock on thier door, may wanna call first. call and talk to the local news and forward a print copy. write letter to the editor or WE. blow up a copy for the local farmers market and highlight, perhaps with a side bar.

BUT DO NOT (or try not to) come off looking like a nut job

Exactly, be heard, but don't give yourself and the cause a bad name. I've seen really good causes get a bad name, because one crazy had to cross the line.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:21 am 
There is a man they vote in who name is,Catasunstien i have listen to what this Edit is wanting to do.

Can you emagin your cat are dog being able to sue you.can you emagin if a rat lives in your home you can not kill it.and Beef.this jerk want to ban the kill of cows, he want to make so you cant go fishing and hunting.from what I have heard,this man may not get pass in to law but he will make tougher restriction on live stock on watering and feeds.It will cost a cattle racher so much that when we go to buy a stake it will cost you 25 dollars.

These people that are being put in to congeress are more of a terroiest than Iran is.and right here in our own country.I hope when the next elction we vote these kind of people out.Are we will be the LIVE STOCK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:51 am 

They started to write this crap in very vage obscure ways so they can twist them either direction they wish to depending their motives .

Grow a garden , shoot a polaprick , with let-us lol you know salid shooter :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:49 pm 

mickey wrote:
The wording in the bill is very broad, And while the intent is a good thing. Except for organic farming, If the new government department wants to enforce this bill as it is they could use the law to protect us from our home gardens. Who knows what the new government department will do about tobacco in the interest of public health.

Monsanto is pushing this bill.
You know what happened when Philip Morris pushed the tax bill.

Remember it's easer to stop or modify a bill than to repeal a law.

Monstant has already successfully taken over the worlds food supply by pattening Vegetable seeds, tobacco, etc...Taking over companies to patten their seeds. Though the constitution doesn't allow a patent on "Life" Monsanto has successfully done so.
The US Dept Of Agriculture has a revolving door, their heads go from working for Monstanto to back to their cush Fed Jobs

After a while, none of us will be able to grow our own seeds for vegetable gardens, tobacco, etc... Vegetable seeds will be like marijuana is now, outlawed. Their goal is to take control of the worlds food supply, basically they already have and it's just a matter of time. Their seeds are genetically altered to accept the weed killer Round Up, and the crops produce vegetable plants that die after production as they are injected with a time release slow poison. They are not real vegetables, they are fake vegetables. They are also trying to do this with Fish

Some states have banned these genetically altered seeds but all Montanto has to do is throw their genetically altered seeds into the farmers crops and their vegetabls tainted. They are doing this in Mexico right now, killing their crops. Monstanto sues farmers to put them out of busienss.

See the movie "The Future of Food" and books out by Andrew Kimball.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:38 pm 

LMAO ~LMAO~ I want some of what he's taking / smoking lol

This is what I want to know lol Do these fake veggies fill your belly like the real counter part . Or do they dissapear inside your stumach ? Plus what happens if we eat one of these veggies just as it relieses it's poison? And just how do I know if I'm eating a real tomato or a dag gum fake one just itching to reliese the poison in me ?

I agree the greed of the buck has companies making plants that can not produce good seeds . Forcing you to buy more seeds . But I think were gettin carried away here folks .