How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tobacco as Bio fuel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:01 pm 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36054169/ns ... e-science/

Post subject: Re: Tobacco as Bio fuel
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 pm 

Yay! This means we're eco-friendly entrepreneurs! WOO HOO! Now the leftists will be HAPPY to kiss our asses!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 pm 

LOL@Keith

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:38 pm 

Nah, I'm not buy'n it!
The government is ruining the tobacco industry with it's laws and retrictions, so let's throw the growers a bone. let's propose making bio-fuel (politically correct) out of tobacco, but we won't say how or when.

Quote:
The decrease is largely due to the slump in cigarette demand, which has been hurt by tax hikes, health concerns, smoking bans and social stigma. Industry estimates show that the number of cigarettes sold in the U.S. declined about 8 percent in 2009 compared with a year earlier.

Even 20 times more oil in a plant that doesn't have much oil, doesn't compare to soybeans for bio diesel, and it doesn't have the energy (starch) that corn does for ethanol. Smells like a red herring to me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 pm 

Well the number one problem with enthol is that most crops used to make it are also used for food....the only real requirement for enthol production is that the crop must have some sort of usable sugar....tobacco would be perfect....and we wouldn't be using our food source to make it :D .

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:01 am 

sugar cane has produces more ethanol per acre than corn does but ADM doesn't grow sugar cane so...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:49 am 

Virginia tobaccos have natural sugar so it may be a viable crop for ethanol production.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm 

keith wrote:
Yay! This means we're eco-friendly entrepreneurs! WOO HOO! Now the leftists will be HAPPY to kiss our asses!

Lovingly, of course! LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:36 am 

The USDA in their Dec '10 report estimates that 33% of the corn crop will be used for producing Ethanol this year! No wonder we have food inflation! Up from 10-12% just a few years ago, they estimate that the Ethanol industry will use 4.8 BILLION bushels of corn from a crop of 12.66 Billion bushels of corn produced last year.
http://www.feedmanagement-digital.com/feedmanagement/20110102/?folio=22#pg24
The International Grains council estimates that world grain production will fall short of demand this year by the narrow margin of 60 million metric tons.
http://www.wattagnet.com/Grains_Council__World_grain_supplies_tightening_due_to_lower_production,_higher_consumption.html
A little food for thought as we plan our gardens for next year.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:17 am 

an old homebrewers trick for determining if the mash conversion (starch to sugar) is complete is to take a small sample of wort in a white porcelain cup and put a few drops of iodine in it to see what color it changes to.

Blue = high level of starch still present
Yellow = starch converted to fermentable sugars complete

I'll try this on some baccy and let you know what the results are.
not sure which enzymes it will take to do a conversion, all I have on hand is amylase.
Tempurature of the mash (at least with barley) is important for the proper enzyme action, too low and it won't convert properly and too high of temp stops it (Sparge/mash-out).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 am 

Someone posted the nutrient analysis of tobacco leaves, but I can't find it easily right now. Most leaves are lignin and cellulose, with minor amounts of proteins, oils and polysaccharides. With amylase you would breakdown the polysaccharides, but you might need a cellulase to break down the fiber. Any advantage tobacco might have as an energy producer vs. sugarcane (for example) would be in northern climates where it grows well, competes well with other weeds and makes tons of it's own seed. I still think that this is a gimick issue for the newspapers, corn is the most efficient producer of easily fermentable starch in the US. Imagine replacing any significant part of 4.8 billion tons of corn with anything else, developing new enzyme systems, production methods, new distilling plants! Ethanol from forrage still has a long way to go. JMHO.
Regards, Neal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm 

I agree Neal,
there is few carbs in tobacco that can be easily mashed into a fermentable sugar that the energy extraction ration would be low I'm sure. But what the heck, for an evening in the "kitchen-lab" it would be interesting to see if it's possible with meager effort and skill.

As usual, I go about it with limit knowledge and questionable skills (grin)

just for the he!! of it, I put some nasty smelling baccy of mine in a plastic bag, squeezed out as much air as possible and sealed it off, then I put the baggy in a glass of hot water (idea is to mimic the mashing temps that amylase works so well at)
I'll leave it set for an hour or so and then check to see if there is any change in the odor, then take a sample and perform the iodine test on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:52 pm 

hi
I saw where some potato farmers were trying to get an ethanol plant set up. That was over 30 years ago. today looked at news from their area. They still trying.So don't see any big rush Lee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:12 pm 

No joy on my experiment.
starch level very low to start with, and treating it with amylase powder added didn't change at all.
it may work different with fresh green leaf.

As Lee says, if a starchy potato can't get an ethanol plant running, baccy ain't got much chance either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 pm 

Enter GMO plus pesticides = Necro fuel