How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Get Ready for Gruesome Cigarette Warnings
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:16 pm 

The FDA is puting photos on tobacco packs

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/qui ... &GT1=31020

Post subject: Re: Get Ready for Gruesome Cigarette Warnings
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:58 pm 

somehow i really doubt this will sway any of us actually growing our own - i havent picked up a pack in about 2 months - and ryo in prob 30 days or so and prob wont ever again

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:36 pm 

Did you read the article that is linked? The comment made is that smokers are of lower intellect, or something along that line. Grrr.
We have to have pictures, because we can't read the written language!
Okay, time for my high horse. Because I make choices that are different from the powers that be, I am of lesser intellect. Boy, first I am a terrorist, and now I am dumb too.
Do these people not realize that they are talking about VOTERS. They get their jobs by pleasing us, not by treating us like imbeciles, and making fun of us, and putting us down. I am not picking a party here to pick on. What is it? the air in Washington that gives politicians this God complex?
Okay everyone, please get the name of the guy calling us idiots in that article and write him a letter, and tell him what you think of his saying that due to our smoking we have decreased mental capabilities! I think if we hit him with emails galore, he will, possibly have to concede that: Some smokers can read and write! Grrr.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:43 pm 

If this is a sample of what the FDA is going to do then what a joke. and here I was thinking they would really clamp down. but I forgot how our goverment works. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:10 pm 

Hi --

I really like the part where they like the most fear they can cause us --

"The most disturbing photo evoked the most fear, prompting more smokers to say they intended to quit, Kees said."

That's what I want. To pay taxes to a government that spends the money creating fear in me.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:36 pm 

Smokers tend to have lower literacy levels, Hammond noted.
David Hammond, an assistant professor in the department of health studies at the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada

I checked out some of their links. Want to know how they come up with their facts that cigarette smoking is harmful to our health? Again this is pasted directly from their website:

Animal Testing
Although health officials have known for decades that cigarette smoking leads to lung cancer, emphysema, and other diseases, the tobacco industry, in a desperate bid to find evidence to the contrary, still conducts painful experiments on dogs, cats, monkeys, rabbits, chickens, rats, mice, and other animals.
Examples of smoking experiments on animals:
Cutting holes in beagles' throats through which dogs are forced to breathe concentrated cigarette smoke for a year.
Inserting electrodes into dogs' penises to measure the effect of cigarette smoke on sexual performance.
Strapping masks to the faces of rats and monkeys and permanetly restraining them and forcing them to breathe cigarette smoke constantly.
Forcing dogs to be on mechanical ventilators and chronically exposed to cigarette smoke.
Restraining Rhesus monkeys in chairs with head devices and exposing them to nicotine and caffeine to determine how caffeine and nicotine affect breathing.

The poor animals. I hate to tell those scientists this, we are not the same as rats, and monkey, nor dogs! I wonder who actually did these tests, tobacco people or the medical establishment? Of course, tobacco companies have been doing things to hurt tobacco sales for many years. Wonder why?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:12 pm 

Ozark, I'm not sure if this is true. But, I read that no actual experiments/studies on tobacco smoke have been done since the 70's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:12 pm 

My point is: This is the kind of propaganda they are posting on their website. Go check out University of Waterloo. Where that professor worked/works and see. I got it directly from their anti-smoking area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:57 pm 

I don't doubt you and you're right it is propaganda. I was just commenting on the fact that all the 'science' is old science. No one to my knowledge has done a study on the effects of smoking licorice, which is an additive in many commercial brands. My point, it's all old science. All those studies were done with commercial cigs with the hundreds of additives. No studies, again to my knowledge, have been done with pure, additive free tobacco.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:10 pm 

I've been to Israel last year and I know they have huge letters on the cartons: SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER. However, I didn't notice any detailed labels.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 am 

I know the penalty for growing our own tobacco! Instead of a scarecrow in our gardens, we will have to put up a gruesome tobacco user picture. And post warnings at the garden gate, that persons under 21 are not admitted due to the nature of the crop growing.

I don't know how you folks with tobacco in your yard will fare. Maybe a quarantine sign? And if you have tobacco growing in your sunroom it will be x rated!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:02 am 

I guess the gruesome pics may deter some new smokers without much of a habit. Smokers I know (me included) would probably vie to see who could get the most gruesome pics on their packs! lol

I don't think the people who come up with these ideas even have one clue about the nature of the smoking habit. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:17 pm 

Hi --

Ok, leave me some literary license here. I am going to project what products will be forced to show gruesome pictures in the future.

1) Anything with sugar in it will need a picture of the yellow, slimy mess liposuction operations suck out.

2) McDonalds will have their arches redesigned by government to be colon cancer patient operations -- Golden Colons. They will have to be animated for full effect.

3) Bacon will have a Skull and Crossbones on it in red. Unless some other color is more effective by use of study groups of causing more fear.

4) Eggs will have a 3-D hologram that projects in front of the carton that depicts a laboring heart, along with sound and smell effects, dying because of the evil cholesterol. This will alternate in 3 year cycles with a hologram of a heart smiling and eating quiche as the fad changes.

Anyone else have any ideas? Hey! What some bureaucrat in Washington decides is good for us now, they could put smiley faces on!

This reminds me of FDR's program of approved venders where those who set their prices according to government "suggestions" were able to advertise that for preferential treatment under the law. Me? I like equal treatment under the law. Hence, if they are going to demonize tobacco, they must equally demonize all other products.

One people, one law.

Bob

ps. sometimes I just gotta rant....bk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm 

lol!

It's ok Bob, these government bureaucrats would make the Pope rant! :lol:

(no offense intended to any Catholic folks) :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:51 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
Smokers I know (me included) would probably vie to see who could get the most gruesome pics on their packs!

ok, fine. Let's have some ideas here. What's the most gruesome ad for a product that you can think of? Any product! I'm sure someone hates some product. Let's make their nightmares come true!

I hate perfumes and I want them banned. Perfume causes cancer. And underarm deoderants. Stinky! Don't I have a right to be free of Stinky?

I approve of feminine deoderant products that smell like rare BBQ steak. What real man wouldn't? Or tacos.....They should have a smiely face on them, government approved.

Somehow, I don't think the wimmin here would agree...

Bob