How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New from MO
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:40 am 

Hey everyone. I was just sitting around smoking my pipe and thought to myself, "i grow my own vegitables, so why can't I grow my own tobacco?" Your site is full of great info and pics. I can't wait to plant some seeds and see how they do.

Post subject: Re: New from MO
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:02 am 

Welcome. You'd be getting a late start if you don't already have the seed sown for this years crop. Tobacco can't take frost. If you sowed the seed today then you'd be ready to transplant (set) to the garden on July 21st. Then it can take 13 weeks or roughly the first week in November for a Harvest date. You could get "fast" maturing varieties if you get frost by that time. The long maturing kind may run past November to mature. Tobacco matures more slowly in cooler weather (as I found out last year). Last year, I had tobacco still growing after 17 weeks, and still didn't see all the signs of maturity I heard about.

Good luck on your grow.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:06 am 

Yea. I figured I will be cutting it close, but it's worth a shot...lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:12 am 

exactly my sentiments last year. I sowed on June 8th, harvested 1/2 on thanksgiving and the other 1/2 in December. Had to fight frost by running sprinkler pre dawn to wash off the frost before sunrise killed them. I DID get a harvest and tobacco. Good luck. My Burley tobacco (golden seal special, and common smoking burley) matured much before my Virginia Gold and Black sea samsun.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:17 am 

Sweet.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:04 am 

Welcome to the forum. Dig in, lots of great info here. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:19 am 

Royal_Blend wrote:
Hey everyone. I was just sitting around smoking my pipe and thought to myself, "i grow my own vegitables, so why can't I grow my own tobacco?" Your site is full of great info and pics. I can't wait to plant some seeds and see how they do.

Where from misery are you from? If you're ever by the KC area, give me a shout, I'll share some of last year's bounty!
grokfish

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:44 am 

Goforit Royal, good experience even with a short season, let us know what you need, and this bunch will help you out.
Lipantxguy

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:55 am 

Welcome to the forum. SC is right. There are some strains that mature faster than others also, there are some sites the sell the plants ready to transplant. This late in the season that might be a good way to go. There is at least one person I know of that sells plants on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 am 

hey, great idea. Buying plants would save you the 8 weeks starting time, and bring your crops in by the sept/oct time frame.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:15 pm 

grokfish wrote:
Royal_Blend wrote:

Where from misery are you from? If you're ever by the KC area, give me a shout, I'll share some of last year's bounty!
grokfish

I'm from lame old Jefferson City....lol.

Buying the plants that are ready to put in the ground seems like a good idea at this point...lol.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 pm 

A user by the name of "fmgrowit", find a post by him, shoot him a PM and see if he's got any left to sell.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 1:35 pm 

the ones on the site (not me) are a dollar per plant plus shipping. For less than a carton of cigarettes you can have tobacco for a year and seed for an early start next year. I would suggest starting with a burly and a VA if you are smoking cigarettes.

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:03 pm 

Royal_Blend wrote:
grokfish wrote:
Royal_Blend wrote:

grokfish

I'm from lame old Jefferson City....lol.

Buying the plants that are ready to put in the ground seems like a good idea at this point...lol.

If you want plants and happen to be in KC, I have a flat or so of different varieties that I would be willing to part with free of cost - I just don't want to have to ship them. I don't have my list of plants, but if you are interested, I could let you know what I'm growing.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 pm 

Cool. I'll let you know if I'm ever around there..