How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:46 am 

Hi to you all. I'm a 60 year old Scotsman who's been living in Argentina for the past ten years. I'm a pipe and occasional cigarette smoker. Decent cigarettes are cheap and plentiful here but quality pipe tobacco is a different story hence why I have decided to grow my own tobacco.
We have a good climate here in Buenos Aires Province with a long growing season, rarely too hot nor too cold. I already grow a wide variety of vegetables and fruit. I don't foresee me having any problems growing tobacco plants as we have the land and my profession was in horticulture. I think I've sussed out the harvesting and drying process, it's only the fermenting of the leaves that could cause me problems. I look forward to the challenge and I'm going to treat it as a bit of fun. If it doesn't work out then so be it.

From what I've seen most of the answers to my questions are to be found on here already so I shall get on with the research and come back to you if I need any further info.

Post subject: Re: Hello from Argentina
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:51 pm 

Welcome aboard !

You will discover in the various threads that we are in the solanaceae family.

Pretty much what applies to tomatoes grown locally will work for most baccy strains.

It's important they have good drainage because they like their feet to be dry between waterings.
Chemicals are usually never needed, yet if you must, N should not be applied after they reach knee-high.

My guess is you shall do well !
rc

Post subject: Re: Hello from Argentina
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:13 pm 

Belated thanks for the welcome rc.

Any reason why this forum is so quiet? It seems to have gone from a once thriving place to just the opposite?

Anyway, just to let you know my modest tobacco crop (Burley I think) thrived and most of it is stalk curing as I write. It's going a nice shade of dark brown and smells just like tobacco which is confusing me. I thought that wouldn't happen until I started the fermenting process but maybe that's because we've had one of the hottest summers on record?