How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello from Illinois.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:40 pm 

Hello everyone this is my first attempt at growing tobacco. Strain is Rustica, I may do some Burley if it's not to late I just received my very delayed seeds. Now your going to say I shouldn't of used Pete pucks, unfortunately I did not know that untill I came here. My next batch will definitely not going to be using pucks. As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures I will add them. Can anyone tell me when is a good time to think them out? It's been about 3 weeks since planting and there very healthy getting there 3rd and 4th leaves but there very tiny. Right now there under 100w full spectrum led grow light, no signs of stretching or doing very much yet. Also can anyone point me to where I can post a grow log with pictures? Thanks everyone.
PS: This was posting thinking I could add photos into it so sorry for the intro.

Post subject: Re: Hello from Illinois.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:08 pm 

Welcome aboard HTGT !

IMO, you should thin the sprouts when they are large enough to withstand the abuse.

Fun exercise is to see how many of the culls you can get to survive...

Yes, the Peat Pots are a nice little device to get a few more of your $'s.

I have wrapped a strip of newspaper around a glass as a form, folded it in on the bottom, and packed them within a tray.
It works...

With the PeatPots, just make sure you bust out the bottom of the cup when inserting in the ground.

rc

Post subject: Re: Hello from Illinois.
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:29 am 

Hey Anibus. I too am a first season grower located near Champaign, IL. Whereabouts are you?

I put out 60 plants this year all started from seed. They're being pot grown and scattered all around my garden and landscaping in a "decorative" manner (at least that's what I tell my wife). I plan on curing and processing them in an attempt to make my own cigars. My best friend from the Marine Corps grew up burley farming in Georgia and inspired me to try it. I am a home beer brewer and already grow my own hops so I figured I'd "grow my own smoke too."

Right now I have Tom Ross Modole, Havana 608, Connecticut Broadleaf, and Havana 263 varieties planted and all are doing well. Next year I am going to do Madole, Florida Sumatra, and Cuban Criollo 98 varieties.

I sewed the seeds in the individual pods with MiracleGrow potting soil and grow lamps in the first of March; I put the starter trays inside a cardboard box (top open) with the lamps clamped to the side of the box. This tended to hold head and humidity pretty well. I started out with plastic wrap over the top and direct heat/light; then I used one of those clear plastic greenhouse lids over the starter tray once they sprouted. I thinned them out after about 4 weeks once they all had a solid root system and pulling them wouldn't disrupt the one I wanted to leave in the pod. I did not replant the sprouts I pulled due to space. I have only lost about 4-5 plants of the varieties that made it outside so far due to dampening off or hardening off. I tried a few Burley plants but none sprouted even though they were alongside the TRM and Havana 608s in the growing tray. My guess is temp/moisture requirements were different and worked for the tropical cigar varieties but not the burley.

My bigger TRM plants are probably 12" tall now. I just finished putting them all outside this past weekend - we've had plenty of rain, just need some heat!

We should share notes on growing in IL as it doesn't seem all that common. I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers.