How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howdy!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:02 am 

Hello everyone!

(I posted this in the New Member Info thread then realized this is a more appropriate place for it.)

I have been reading this site for a few seasons now and even registered some months ago, but am now finally making my first post.

My name is Tom and I am from Sacramento, Ca. I was born and raised here. I have been a gardener and amateur horticulturist my entire life and took up pipe smoking as a hobby when I was 20. I am now getting into growing and producing the bulk of my own food and also my own pipe tobaccos. I don't smoke every day, but only when I can really sit down outdoors - I have a three-year-old - and really enjoy the smoke. I'm hoping I can grow​ and produce my own and maybe get further satisfaction from that endeavor.

I look forward to being able to learn from this community and hopefully I will be able to contribute to the knowledge of others as I move along. As such, I will be plaguing you with questions! :D

-Tom

Post subject: Re: Howdy!!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:33 am 

Welcome Tom,

Tobacco should do really well in the Sacramento area. Nice long growing season. I have family in Sacramento. My uncle used to own a fruit farm near Placerville. They would send me down there in the summers when school was out for my "vacation" to work on their farm. But only after hay season was done here. Can't beat free child labor. lol Ahh, the good old days....

Post subject: Re: Howdy!!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:02 am 

Hello Tiger, welcome to the forum. I am a pipe smoker as well. If you have not obtained any seed yet the link below is a great place to start. The descriptions of the strains will let you know if it is commonly used with pipe tobacco. I stuck with a few bright leaf, burely, dark, and oriental/turkish varieties to start out with. I'm sure you'll find what you need in there.

This is my first year growing tobacco as well. I am finding that it is not much different than growing tomatoes so I'm sure you'll do fine.

http://northwoodseeds.com/Seed%20List2.htm