How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Howdy from Finland. We need some help here...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:38 am 

Hi!

Im little over 30 years old random dude from the land of most strict tobacco laws in the world :?
It has been desided by the rulers that all smoking will be illegal here by the year 2030.

Since the threat has come real, i have been studying the art of growing, curing and flavouring for couple years now.
I have collected most of the information i can get about the subject locally and its time to expand my knowledge more.
Im specially interested in the origins of traditions and strains. But also want to keep up with the current trends of the world.

My original goal was to write book about tobacco in Finland. But im still missing the real experience.
And im waiting a finnish folklore collection about tobacco, that is supposed to come out later this year.

I would be very interested in fast growing strains that can stand coldness. I have some issues ordering them from US.
But i will post own topic about it if someone could help me import some seeds to experiment.
I have been reading this forum for some time, and im really grateful about all the information you guys have gathered!

Post subject: Re: Howdy from Finland. We need some help here...
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:21 am 

Tervetuloa :)

That's about the extent of my Finnish. Maybe a bit more but not far off anyways. Bit sad considering both my parents are Finnish.

I think New Zealand has designs on becoming tobacco free by 2025. I'm in Australia and our government is trying hard to tax it out of existence. We can't even grow it here legally. Seems ironic that the countries that have a strong desire to be tobacco free allow its citizens to grow it, but not here. Too much tax would be lost if the Australian government allowed smokers to grow their own. Especially if word got out that it was actually easy to do and you got a better product than what is available on the shelf.

Wish I could help with fast growing strains to grow up north but down under, the sun always shines, so our season is long. Get in early and it's easy enough to get two harvests from the same crop.

Anyway welcome to HTGT forum :)

Cheers,
ANT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:58 pm 

Thanks! And yikes. Seems like its not so bad after all in here :)

I dont wonder the lack of your finnish cause we are used to speak english if its more easy.
We have some problems here cause of that too, immigrants have hard time learning the language cause we dont speak it that much to foreign people.
I have been looking some Australian customs show on TV and it must be the most protective place in the world when it comes to plants and animals.
But i dont wonder that also, looks like all the animals and plants there are very unique compared to rest of the world.
I would love to visit there sometime. By coincidence most of my briar pipes are from there, got a good deal on one lot on ebay..

I think my seed ordering issues were solved too. I will post about it on earlier topic in the strains section.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 am 

I think we had a bad run when we started introducing foreign species here, especially fauna like rabbits, foxes, deer, camels, cane toads, European carp to name a few. They seem to flourish and out compete native wildlife. Maybe we've become a little over sensitive with biosecurity. We even stopped those pesky asylum seekers coming by boat, who knows what mischief they're likely to bring. Our solution is to detain them in Nauru indefinitely </sarcasm>

Show is called Border Force but we like to call them Border Farce :)

Anyway good luck with your first grow when you get around to it. It's hard work but rewarding :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:52 am 

Welcome Kangsteri

AU has the strictest laws on Tobacco. NZ is second. All the attempted bans on tobacco will fail. All they will do is create a black market and new opportunities for organized crime. People will not stop smoking any more than they will stop drinking because the gov tells them too. Look at how well prohibition worked out here. And all our insane drug laws.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

Smoking will never end. Its the most safe way to enjoy strong subtances like nicotine and many others..
In reality smoking has never been as popular as it is now. And public smoking has been totally banned in Europe earlyer too.
In Russia 1634 the penalty for smoking was cutting nose away. And after that the penalty from selling it was death,
and loosing all property to Tsar. This just resulted to the infamous Kessu, that is deathly strong drug if not used correctly.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:22 pm 

Hello Kangsteri ! I am in France. I have been to Finland (2 weeks) in Oulu a few years ago I remember how I felt strange and almost paranoid about smoking there. With a friend, we had to go to a special place that looked like a bus stop but that was for smokers ! We never knew if it was to protect the smokers from the cold or because that was the only place where you were allowed to smoke...But I recall inside pubs, everybody was smoking. Maybe, it has changed by now. Why is Finland so hard on smokers? More and more we are losing our freedom . Here, in France, the government takes 90% tax on the price of a pack of cigs. I don't think they would want to lose that "income"! And it is allowed to grow tobacco if it is for your own consumption. Very few people do because you need a garden and a lot of space for hanging the leaves and maybe because they just don't think it can grow here...
I really enjoyed Finland and its people. I loved the way people can hang their coats and bags in a hall of a cafeteria and nobody steal !!! I didn't know such a place still existed !

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:45 am 

Denmark here:
You should easily be able to grow tobacco in Finland, of course dependant on your location. If you are up North it would be difficult.
Tobacco grows best in the temperature range of 20-25 degrees and you should have 3 months of that in Finland. ½ June, July, August and ½ September. Tobacco plants are slow starters and takes a couple of months to get 10-20 cm long and robust. I use to start them from seeds inside the hous in a window sill in March, then pot them in April and send them into the glasshouse and plant them out in good frostfree weather in May.
Last year I had 100 plants of virginia and burley and they yielded me more than a years consumption. The plants grew 3 m tall and I could harvest them 3 times.

You can see my growlog from 2016 here: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=6753

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:55 am 

Hi, I'll just ride this post as I'm from Finland as well. I got my seeds and a small propagation box ready to start my first tobacco crop. We'll see how it goes :D
Fortunately, I got a small back yard and possibly a chance to use a larger growing lot during the summer, so space should not be a problem if I'm able to get some plants going.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:06 pm 

Excellent to see more growers in Scandinavia !

You can possibly get advice from a local gardening club?

Most things that apply for tomatoes will be acceptable for tobacco.
..And it wouldn't hurt to grow a few tomato plants at the same time !
:-)
rc