How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: I Have Seeds for Sale
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 pm 

I have fresh seeds for sale.

Called 'Otter Tail' it is a Wisconsin Havana, that was delightfully improved by my friend, 'The Old Buck' in Otter Tail County, Minnesota. The tobacco works well as a Roll Your Own cigarette or makes excellent, light cigars.

Five bucks gets you a packet of well over 1,500 seeds, enough to grow nearly half an acre. If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco.

I have been growing this for three years and these were saved from my latest year. If your climate is warmer than mine, the tobacco will think it is in heaven and go for the moon. It is an 'open source' tobacco, you will only have to buy seeds one time, unless you grow several varieties then they will cross and you will muddle the characteristics.

The seeds were held in the deep freeze for two weeks. Germination is very good.

Its easiest if you mail me directly at ConcordBridge AT yahoo DOT com (you can figure it out)

Here are some photos. The rest are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/39795808@N ... 566208740/

Post subject: Re: I Have Seeds for Sale
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:22 am 

Most excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:38 pm 

wow, thanks for the growing tips, Love the photos.
Mary Ann

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:02 pm 

Thanks for the seeds Leigh, can't wait to plant them in my second planting. :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:11 pm 

Leigh is a great guy shipped without getting money first. super freindly and full of growing wisdom. i would buy from him again hands down. cant wait to grow those suckers. thanx

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 7:32 pm 

ConcordBridge wrote:
I have fresh seeds for sale.

Called 'Otter Tail' it is a Wisconsin Havana, that was delightfully improved by my friend, 'The Old Buck' in Otter Tail County, Minnesota. The tobacco works well as a Roll Your Own cigarette or makes excellent, light cigars.

Five bucks gets you a packet of well over 1,500 seeds, enough to grow nearly half an acre. If you can grow tomatoes, you can grow tobacco.

I have been growing this for three years and these were saved from my latest year. If your climate is warmer than mine, the tobacco will think it is in heaven and go for the moon. It is an 'open source' tobacco, you will only have to buy seeds one time, unless you grow several varieties then they will cross and you will muddle the characteristics.

The seeds were held in the deep freeze for two weeks. Germination is very good.

Its easiest if you mail me directly at ConcordBridge AT yahoo DOT com (you can figure it out)

Here are some photos. The rest are at /http://www.flickr.com/photos/39795808@N00sets/72157616566208740/

Howdy Leigh,

Great Looking Plants (and pictures)! What type/variety of Havana would you compare your Havana too? Are all types of Havana from Wisconsin? How was the cigar with an imported, Ecuadorian wrapper? Hope it was a good as it looks!

Thanx, Chuck.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:39 pm 

Hi Chuck, I can't answer your questions to Leigh, but I can say that Leigh was very generous with the seed I bought. He probably sent me 2000 seeds!

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:47 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
Hi Chuck, I can't answer your questions to Leigh, but I can say that Leigh was very generous with the seed I bought. He probably sent me 2000 seeds!

Howdy Wydeboi,

I just got my OtterTail Havana seeds from Leigh, plus some Burley NC BH-129 seed to try also. I like the brochure that came with the packets of seeds with the FAQ's and info on it too - Really nicely done. Leigh has been very helpful, If he starts selling the OtterTail leaf, I will have to buy a pound or two - hint! hint! I can't wait to smoke some!

How is your OtterTail seed sprouting? Chuck.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 am 

I haven't started any of the otter tail. I had 3 heirloom varieties sprouting when I got my seed from Leigh. Yep, the booklet he sends is neat and very generous with the amount of seed too. Good luck and happy growing! :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:20 pm 

Hi chuck & Jack,

Thanks for the nice notes. Buy a pound or two -- ha ha! In the picture above, you see almost my entire crop! I am a backyard grower just like you! And you might be able to tell from the junk in my garage that I am particularly susceptible to hobbies (in the picture is beekkeeping, crawfishing, gold panning, bicycling, reloading gear and more. Even some left over Y2K stuff we are slowly using). Growing enough tobacco to sell might be too much like work.

Sorry, I can't compare to other havana types. My knowledge is not that detailed. All I know is that if you mind your Ps and Qs, the Otter Tail grows well in moderate climates. Jack, being a Northern Calif guy should be just fine. You in Virginia, if the tobacco is protected when it is small and fragile, should grow vigorously. The Otter Tail is a mild flavor compared to most cigars and seems to be 'full figured' compared to burley and cigarette tobacco.

Cheers!

Leigh M
Portland

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 2:29 pm 

Thanks for the info Leigh. Full figured is what I want in my cigs! I'm tired of whimpy commercial cigs. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:04 pm 

makes me wish i could afford to send off for some - but atm im stuck with what i have till next spring - when i can actually afford to get another strain :cry:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:56 pm 

What are you growing? Gigs?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:09 pm 

im doin cigs and cigars - greenwood dark can be used as a filler/binder and my monte calme can be use for filler/wrapper/binder but i was thinkin a 3rd for mix into the filler - depending on how weak/strong current mix goes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:58 am 

Howdy Y'all,

I apologize for not posting sooner, but we had hay to make and get into our polebarn and rain on it's way. I started seeing sprouts on the Ottertail two days ago and now have 25 out of 50! On the Burley side, the seeds are cracked and should probably have something in the next couple of days.

Chuck.

PS - I planted on the 29th.