How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Whole-leaf tobacco sellers?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:19 pm 

From what I've heard, whole-leaf tobacco (with the center rib still in) is treated, for tax purposes, just like any other agricultural product (i.e. no special taxes).

So, it has occurred to me that since many people are willing to stuff their own cigarettes (for the lower cost) and the tax on that is about to go through the roof, I wonder if any of the RYO vendors will start offering cured whole-leaf products?

Does anyone know a source of whole-leaf tobacco suitable for cigarettes? Since the farmers are getting a pittance for their product (on the order of $1.50/lb) this would seem to be an attractive market, particularly in the face of the soon-to-come outrage on April 1 as many people realize they've been screwed.

And for those of you who live in tobacco-land, want to make some decent money helping out the farmers, smokers, and yourself?

Post subject: Re: Whole-leaf tobacco sellers?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:35 pm 

If you can prove to me that it is completely legal. I might be able to find this place that I came across once.
While you are looking for proof I'll see if I can find that site that I came across awhile ago:)
RedSoxFan wrote:
From what I've heard, whole-leaf tobacco (with the center rib still in) is treated, for tax purposes, just like any other agricultural product (i.e. no special taxes).

So, it has occurred to me that since many people are willing to stuff their own cigarettes (for the lower cost) and the tax on that is about to go through the roof, I wonder if any of the RYO vendors will start offering cured whole-leaf products?

Does anyone know a source of whole-leaf tobacco suitable for cigarettes? Since the farmers are getting a pittance for their product (on the order of $1.50/lb) this would seem to be an attractive market, particularly in the face of the soon-to-come outrage on April 1 as many people realize they've been screwed.

And for those of you who live in tobacco-land, want to make some decent money helping out the farmers, smokers, and yourself?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:14 pm 

Well, I do know that Dan DiFrancesco sells what seems to be whole leaf (tobaccotalk.itgo.com) but he says it's not good for cigarettes.

I'm not sure where to find the legal info. I've had an extremely hard time figuring out whether I owe the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for RYO tobacco I bought online, and only by the absence of info have I concluded that MA only has a state tax on cigarettes, not on any other tobacco products.

In any case, since I'm not a lawyer, a prudent seller would have to confirm for himself what the law is; after all, he's the one the IRS will come after!

However, the companies that sell all sorts of tobacco online do have to keep it legal; procedures for verifying age, collecting appropriate federal taxes (and state taxes if shipping in-state) reporting the sale and buyer of cigarettes (if they sell cigarettes) so that the state can go after them, etc.

So, I can't tell you definitively that it's legal, and even if I did, you shouldn't trust me!!! You really should confirm it on your own.

Having said that, I do think there's an opportunity there, and I'd LOVE for someone to take advantage of it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:51 pm 

You've seen me write this in the on Coffinails RedSoxFan, but I say it here as well. I am going to try selling some cured leaves next year. This year I have been giving away (that means for free) shredded tobacco to a few folks I know and it seems they like it. I know a lot of people get edgy about the legality of selling tobacco, so I will check again with Don from Coffinails. He knows a lot about stuff like that. But from what I have learned anybody can now grow any amount of tobacco they wish, for personal or for sale so long as it is in leaf form. I pretty sure since the tobacco program ended back in 05 you can also sell it down at the warehouse without permits/quotas too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:11 am 

Cameron
So, if my garden freezes out etc, will you be my back up plan?
I need approx 45lbs for a year.
I would appreciate it, as its always nice to have a back up plan:)
Cameron wrote:
You've seen me write this in the on Coffinails RedSoxFan, but I say it here as well. I am going to try selling some cured leaves next year. This year I have been giving away (that means for free) shredded tobacco to a few folks I know and it seems they like it. I know a lot of people get edgy about the legality of selling tobacco, so I will check again with Don from Coffinails. He knows a lot about stuff like that. But from what I have learned anybody can now grow any amount of tobacco they wish, for personal or for sale so long as it is in leaf form. I pretty sure since the tobacco program ended back in 05 you can also sell it down at the warehouse without permits/quotas too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:54 am 

These are the rulings of the Tax Commissioner with regard to a tobacco farmer from Virginia who used to sell whole leaf tobacco & a press used to process it.
http://www.policylibrary.tax.virginia.g ... enDocument

As you can see it is perfectly legal to sell whole leaf tobacco tax free but wouldn't it make more sense to give people a few seeds and tell them about forums like this so they can start growing there own?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:06 am 

Alex,

Thanks for the link! That was very helpful. While I am planning on growing my own, I have several friends who recently converted to RYO, and most of them don't have the land, or the time to grow and process their own.

I was wondering if any of the farms around here were interested in doing a package deal where you could lease a plot, and they would sell you seeds, maintenance, and drying/curing facilities/assistance. But I'm too disorganized to do anything about that!

Cameron,
Be careful! You can't even give away tobacco without owing the tax on it! As I recall, the tax applies to anyone who sells, trades, barters or makes a gift of tobacco products.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:25 am 

SmokingUSA wrote:
Cameron
So, if my garden freezes out etc, will you be my back up plan?
I need approx 45lbs for a year.
I would appreciate it, as its always nice to have a back up plan:)

Sure. Wouldn't mind it a bit.
RedSoxFan wrote:
Alex,

Thanks for the link! That was very helpful. While I am planning on growing my own, I have several friends who recently converted to RYO, and most of them don't have the land, or the time to grow and process their own.

I was wondering if any of the farms around here were interested in doing a package deal where you could lease a plot, and they would sell you seeds, maintenance, and drying/curing facilities/assistance. But I'm too disorganized to do anything about that!

Cameron,
Be careful! You can't even give away tobacco without owing the tax on it! As I recall, the tax applies to anyone who sells, trades, barters or makes a gift of tobacco products.

I seriously doubt the government is going to knock down my door for giving away some tobacco products to friends and family. I would never walk around mindlessly giving tobacco to folks. As a matter of fact, a guy who works down at the local police department has asking me for quite a while to send him a bag of tobacco.

Alex. I suggest growing tobacco all the time to folks, however, not many have the patience, land, or time to grow it unfortunately. Better they get whole leaf tobacco off others, for cheap than to let the government vacuum their wallets clean.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:28 am 

Alex wrote:
These are the rulings of the Tax Commissioner with regard to a tobacco farmer from Virginia who used to sell whole leaf tobacco & a press used to process it.
http://www.policylibrary.tax.virginia.g ... enDocument

As you can see it is perfectly legal to sell whole leaf tobacco tax free but wouldn't it make more sense to give people a few seeds and tell them about forums like this so they can start growing there own?

Alex
Smokers use to look at me like I was crazy when I use to tell them I rolled My Own. They look at me like I'm even crazier when I tell them I'm growing my own..
LOL.. I have so many plants and I ask ALL my friends that smoke if they want some and even some that I don't know.. Just no takers except for my sister:)
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm 

I would also like to buy some whole leaf tobacco. I would prefer dried but not cured I could use some practice curing tobacco. I have some plants growing now but it is s long time till harvest and I have a knack on screwing things up

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:52 pm 

Okay, I have rolled my own cigarettes. I can do that part.
But price is same as ready rolls.

I would like to back up a few steps. I have been looking online today for whole leaf tobacco for sale. What I can find are in quantities that are indecipheral to me, I don't know if it is alot of tobacco or teaspoonful and the prices were pretty high.

Can some one point me to a site, that sells whole leaf, decent price would be nice, and in measurements that I at least understand?

While plants are busy germinating, I would like to get a small quantity to "play with" to get the feel of the whole leaf. And perhaps try curing in very small quantity. Or if cured, learn how to make bricks and chop it up.

The RYO tobacco, seemed dry to me, compared with the tobacco in my ready rolls, and it did not have that awesome tobacco smell that I remember from when I was using RYO before. Maybe, my memory of it is better than it actually is?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:14 pm 

This site sells whole leaf, cured, by the pound. Look on the left. Unfortunately it's cigar tobacco, but you could get a feel for it.

Link Removed - Purchasing untaxed tobacco is illegal in the U.S. and we don't allow links to whole leaf sites.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:30 pm 

[quote="wydeboi"]This site sells whole leaf, cured, by the pound. Look on the left. Unfortunately it's cigar tobacco, but you could get a feel for it.

Link Removed - Purchasing untaxed tobacco is illegal in the U.S. and we don't allow links to whole leaf sites.

I'll vouch for Jorge at otoao...very friendly and you can get some good cigar leaf.

If you want to be persistent, maybe you can try contacting somebody at the burley cooperative, http://www.burleytobacco.com/
not sure if it get you anywhere - I've thought about contacting them to ask if any farmers are selling whole leaf...

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 9:47 pm 

Any place in Canada a guy can buy whole leaf?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:20 am 

jackpine wrote:
Any place in Canada a guy can buy whole leaf?