How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: free tobacco seeds from the government
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:50 pm 

hmmm.... not sure if am going to get my seeds it has been 4 days, and no confirmation email saying that they have been sent. I did get the email with the copy of the request but that's it, really disappointing since that was really my only way to get seeds because I don't got a credit card so I can't buy any online, and the garden shops around my area don't have them, and I really wanted to try growing Tobacco this year, Because it almost 7 bucks where I live for a pack ouch. So am unsure what am going to do now....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:59 pm 

Keegan, the only email I got from GRIN was the one stating that they had received my request for seeds and which seeds I had requested. I never got one saying that the seeds had been sent. I just went to the mailbox one day, and there they were!! From what others have said, mine were kind of the exception to the rule. Some have waited up to 2 weeks to get their seeds. I guess it depends on how many requests they have and where your seeds are coming from.

If you don't mind me asking, which seeds did you request? And, what will you use your tobacco for?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm 

Yep, no email confirming shipping. Took mine about 8 days or so as I remember.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm 

beebiz I requested these seeds
Virginia Gold, and Virginia Bright leaf, oh ya I requested one more that one is some sort of Burley, I wanted to use the tobacco for cigarettes, I was going to blend the Burley with the Virginia.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:44 pm 

I got mine today. Out of 4 varities they sent me 2...Me thinks their're getting tired of the requests already :( ..

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 pm 

I'm actually pretty impressed with the germination rate from some of the seed that are 5 to 8 years old. I only grew a few of each with the exception of Samsun (three varieties from two sources). I have VA from three sources (gold and bright leaf) that I am growing a lot of. Great mixer. I will use Grin next year for 10 new varieties and will give the varieties I no longer want to grow away.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:17 am 
I requested, and received 6 varieties - that I will probably grow next year - as my growing area for this year's garden and tobacco is full. I requested & received:

PI 404968 Guacharo ***
PI 404958 Turkish Angshit ***
PI 551281 HAVANA 503
PI 552357 RED ROSE
PI 552572 401 CHERRY RED
PI 552600 BURLEY MAMMOTH KY16
PI 552693 LONG RED

(*** Note - I requested Guacharo - but they made a mistake, and sent me the Turkish - which was on their "inactive" list of seeds. I contacted them to see if they wanted me to return the incorrect seeds, and their response was basically "Keep 'em".)

I'll probably request some Kentucky, as well - as all I smoke is pipe... no cigarettes for me...

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:41 am 

Keegan wrote:
hmmm.... not sure if am going to get my seeds it has been 4 days, and no confirmation email saying that they have been sent. I did get the email with the copy of the request but that's it, really disappointing since that was really my only way to get seeds because I don't got a credit card so I can't buy any online, and the garden shops around my area don't have them, and I really wanted to try growing Tobacco this year, Because it almost 7 bucks where I live for a pack ouch. So am unsure what am going to do now....
I believe it took about 6 or 7 for mine. If you ordered them they will come.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:39 pm 

I just placed a request.

I requested:
PI 543792 - TOB - Nicotiana tabacum TN 90
PI 552452 - TOB - Nicotiana tabacum MD 609
PI 608042 - TOB - Nicotiana tabacum MD 402

We'll see.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:36 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
I filled out there form and asked for 2 types
PI 552334 - TOB - Nicotiana tabacum
PI 552385 - TOB - Nicotiana tabacum
Virginia Gold and Virginia bright leaf
The special instructions was about contacting you....right ??
this what I put down for that

Special instructions:

Email is the best way to contact me.
The telephone is secondary as it is in heavy use of the females in the household and is
Extremely difficult to get through.

For my experiments I put

Describe your planned research use of this NPGS Germplasm*:

I live 3 miles from the Lewis and Clark Trail my experiment includes four rows.
1)One row utilizing "Forrest Floor Compost"
2)One row utilizing "Household product compost"
3)One row utilizing "Worm castings"
4)One row utilizing "and a equal four way mixture of soil,composts and Worm Castings"
I plan to pay particular interest in the "Worm Castings" row as I have high expectations of the enzymes,
micro-organisms,and plant hormones that they add to the soil.
The soil here is a clay soil and the soil,compost mixtures will be 50 per cent compost 50 per cent soil the Worm casstings how ever will be 25 percent 75 percent soil.
This area is extremely windy at times and at times heavy snow falls (Poor mans nitrogen)that's why the high expectations of the Worm Castings.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:42 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
After snooping around I found this on the web site

Provide the following information:

o Your name
o Organization
o Address
o Phone number
o Special handling instructions
o Accession identifiers desired (use a separate line for each identifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:07 am 

FmGrowIt wrote:
Does anybody read these threads? I just don't get it. You could have asked for both of those varieties here. A lot of people grow those varieties...I just don't get it.

Yes, and no...

Don't stress out, FM ! :o

You gotta know there's a whole lot of information here on HTGT...
In my own case, I'm a first year grower, don't really know how much I DON'T KNOW,
and I'm trying to digest what I'm seeing in front of me, along with what I'm learning out on my plots.

Not easy considering the normal rat-killing I've got here at the casa every day, periodic explosions and fires that need to be put out in the midst of the normal chineese fire drill, not to mention the haze I'm in from the shoe box of drugs I'm taking makes me forgetful... go figger... I just realized I forgot my morning drug regimen and it's running at 11am in my time zone! Not to mention I'm real busy trying to dodge the disaster I created with my bundle curing!

...Did I mention I just noticed at the bottom of the HTGT page that it's only showing me the last 7 days of posts?
It was only yesterday that I discovered the posts by Alex...

It's all good !
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:01 pm 

FmGrowIt wrote:
Does anybody read these threads? I just don't get it. You could have asked for both of those varieties here. A lot of people grow those varieties...I just don't get it.

When i started this hobby I started dreaming of a hybrid that would withstand the heat of our summers here, lack of rain, low sucker production and cure easy (probably looking for the Holy Grail would be simpler). If you are saying you know of such a critter, then please lets talk.

Yes, I asked for a few varieties from grin this morning before reading all the threads on this subject and now I have read them all and understand your concern that the study and program may get cancelled if the frivolous request become a burden on that program. It would be a real blow to this hobby to loose such a clearing house of so many varieties and the data they have collected on each.
better to use that site to educate ourselves on the specific characteristics of one variety over another, then see if someone here already has it and willing to share.
If they accept my request, I will be glad to post what I got here and offer the balance of what I won't use to anyone wanting them.

BTW - is there a catalog on there someplace that list a common name for all of those TI and PI numbers? if so I missed it completely.

jack

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:31 am 

FmGrowIt wrote:

I am new here and I don't feel comfortable asking strangers for a favor.I'm sure as time goes on that will
change. But when I see a chance to get some thing they back from my government who relentlessly taxes me at
every single opportunity they can, well I just have to take advantage of it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:39 am 

rustycase wrote:
You gotta know there's a whole lot of information here on HTGT...
In my own case, I'm a first year grower, don't really know how much I DON'T KNOW,
and I'm trying to digest what I'm seeing in front of me, along with what I'm learning out on my plots.

You got that right RC. That's me too. lol

dkh2 wrote:
I am new here and I don't feel comfortable asking strangers for a favor.I'm sure as time goes on that will change.

Yup. Me again

I have spent about an hour a day reading here for the last couple months (more if ya ask my wife) and I am still finding new things to read and learn. Maybe some of the older posts need a bump up to be more visible. And I would be very interested in knowing who has seeds for sale or trade for my next years crop. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next