How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Greetings from Wonder
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:55 pm 

Greetings from southern Oregon. I live in a small valley between Grants Pass and Cave Junction, in Wonder, Oregon. Nearby is a place called Love Station, a stage stop in the "old days" which appears on some old maps.

I like to brew beer and mead, and smoke my pipe and an occasional cigar. I learned to roll cigars just this year. So far they're, um, pretty rustic, but most of them smoke well enough.

I tried to grow tobacco for the first time this spring, but I think the seedlings didn't like my well water, which is rather salty. It corrodes my pipes and fixtures, too. I'm working on improving the water situation and hope to grow enough plants for my next year's supply.

Has anyone in this group tried growing tobacco indoors under lights? I still have some seeds and wonder if it might be worth a try.

Michael from Wonder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

I've heard of people growing tobacco indoors but it isn't very practical for tobacco production unless you are creating a clone mother. Since tobacco gets tall you will either have to use a lot of light or top it and keep it short.
I keep tobacco plants alive all year in my greenhouse by not letting the temperature drop below 45F. They don't grow when it's that cold but it keeps them alive and in the spring I get many seeds. Here in the northwest it may get too cold for seeds to set at harvest time so when I harvest I dig-up my best plants and put them in the greenhouse. The roots for Virginia type tobacco are shallow and suckers spring-up from the base so it's easy to transplant after you cut the plant down.

Post subject: seeds
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am 

Hello all! I am new to the forum and am hoping someone can tell me what I need to do to harvest the seeds of my lone tobacco plant this fall so that I may plant the seeds next year. I'm not new to tobacco growing....just wanted to use my own seeds next spring.

I live in Wisconsin and many Wisconsinites grew tobacco as a cash crop to supplement their incomes when I was growing up. In the 70's, & early 80's, my parents raised 3 acres of tobacco each year. Tobacco long since has left the area, but did receive a slight comeback on a few farms in the last couple of years. Out of nostalgia, I received a half dozen plants last year....planted them as a border around one of our retaining walls and cut them down after the first frost (and yes, with a real "tobacco" ax). Miraculously, a plant has grown in the same spot as my plants were located last year. Now am looking to let it flower/seed and am unsure as to how to keep/store those seeds.

I am sure this information is available on the web....it just seems that whenever I do a search, all I find are people selling seeds.

Please advise if you have any information.
Thanks much,
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:37 am 

If you are only growing one variety of tobacco its pretty easy.

Let the plant go to flower, and let the seed pods develop. Dont pick off the seed pods until they are brown and you can hear the seeds rattle inside the pod.

I open the pods and spill out the tiny seeds on a sheet of white paper. I let the seeds sit out on the paper a few days to ensure that they are dry.

I store my seeds in small seal-able glass jars in a a dark cool place.

From one plant, you will have plenty of seed.