How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Collecting the seed.
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:41 pm 

Hello,I have picked all my leaf(about 1000 leaves) the biggest being over 24 inches.All the plants are still in and getting second growth.What I need to know is when to pick the seed heads as they all have flowered and some still have heaps of pink flowers.i do not plan on growing so much again and will be giving the seed to those that want it(they send me a post payed envelope)Do you wait for them to die off or just pick and dry them.We have had a few frosts but the plants have not even flinched.Any advice would be great
Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Collecting the seed.
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:45 pm 

Generally speaking, it is a matter for concern for one reason only... Volunteers of unknown origin could grow the following year.

When most the pods have browned out, leaving few flowers, I put a brown paper bag over the bag I have made from Organza or AGC-15 to prevent cross pollination, clip the main stalk, tie the bag closed,m label it, and hang it up inside the garage.

I've never come up short on seed, though I do like getting different strains to try.
Best
rc

Post subject: Re: Collecting the seed.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:09 am 

Thanks for that I will do as you say.The plants have come through the very hard frosts.It did not even slow them down.Most now have new growth and I think are going to have good leaf growth.My one in the shade house has nice new flowers.As I asked before.If I had your email I would send pictures.
Cheers Roy
yorzil53@gmail.com