How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Grafting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

I've been thinking about grafting a Virginia plant onto a Tree Tobacco (N. glauca). I would like to produce a plant that can survive in an arid area that doesn't need to be watered artificially.
Has anyone tried this or tried grafting tobacco at all?

Post subject: Cloning Tobacco
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:27 pm 

Hi, I once grafted a Virginia tobacco plant onto a CACTUS, i never watered it for Twelve, yes ,12 Months,
But you try picking the leafs off........ Ha.......Ha.
Still its the festiv season, any one seen my GLASS.
Hootche

Post subject: Re: Grafting
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:47 pm 

Hi,all
just a short brake ,now out from my winter project,
several years ago,as a farmer, i was growing tomatos, grafted onto the stem of a potato,under glass,thus giving us a double crop, tomatos on the top,and potatos under ground,this was done in several hectors of glasshouse.

Now look all you budding GRAFTERS,
Plant a potato 5" deep, a main crop veriaty,in well cultivated soil,
when the potato shoots are about 4" tall sellect the strongest shoot,leave all the others growing,

Take a 5" tobacco plant,and with a very sharp knife,and with one action cut through the stem at approx 35*, 1" above the ground.
Do the same to the potato shoot, there should be no delay as the graft should be placed together A S A P. or less then 60 sec.
Now tie soft rafia arround the graft to hold the two sections together.HANDLE WITH CARE.
Place a cane alongside the the graft to support the grafting,after four weeks the rafia can be removed. leave the cane in place..to support the tobacco plant.

at the end of the tobacco harvest, the potato tops will have died down and thay will be ready to harvest, do not wash potatos and thay will keep for 6 months. in a cool frost free area,

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:04 pm 
Site Admin

Roy wrote:
I've been thinking about grafting a Virginia plant onto a Tree Tobacco (N. glauca). I would like to produce a plant that can survive in an arid area that doesn't need to be watered artificially.
Has anyone tried this or tried grafting tobacco at all?

Bump - I'm still interested in this is anyone else? If not I may obtain some Nicotiana glauca seeds and try it myself. Where I grew-up in Southern California glauca grew wild in waste areas and dry ravines. Desert cacti and tobacco growing side by side! My guess is glauca has very deep roots.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:06 pm 

This sounds really cool. I actually have a potato plant that is just about going buck wild with new growth and not like I get fruit form the top or leafs so think I may do this with some tobacco is my grows.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:38 pm 

Hootche will this result in potato-tasting tobacco, and tobacco-tainted potatos? Or will it just be potatos below ground and tobacco above? I am not completely familiar with grafting, but I've heard of different fruit grafted together that retains properties of each. For example, a grapple-- grape and apple. In my mind it seems you would be combining the food characteristics of potatos with the smokable leaf characteristics of tobacco.

The Truth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:02 am 

The alkaloids (such as nicotine) in tobacco are produced by the roots, and transported to the stalk, stems and leaves.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:15 pm 

Tobacco over the root of potato would have NO nicotine. You think?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:47 am 

This sounds interesting. Maybe I would try to graft burley onto some high-nicotine rustica like Hopi. It could produce easy-to-cure leaves with abundant content of alkaloids :)