How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: fleas/lice
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:22 pm 

just got to this forum as i browse and learn...
a trick i learned from my g-pa was gettign rid of fleas/lice on young critters.
i had forgotten about it over the years till just a while back when the kids brought in a squirrel that had fallen from the nest, eyes still closed.
the think was LOADED with fleas, so many it looked like its skin was crawling under the thin hair!
went to the store and got a bag of chew, made a nice nest with a handfull of that and some straw leaf and plopped the lil fellow in
by the next afternoon not a flea to be found except on close examination of the bedding! the nic kills off the bgs with little or no effect on the critter as it only touches the hair, not the skin and wears off before it is old enough to groom itself and take it in orally

Post subject: Re: fleas/lice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:40 am 

Them squirrels will bite you :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:25 am 

actually walt, if you get one BEFORE the eyes are open, and take the time for all the frequent feedings etc. they will think THEY are people just like most other critters
"Rocky" would screech to be let out of her cage to be with us, knew the sound of my truck when i got home and would be waiting to run up my pants onto my shoulder to sit and "chi,chi" in my ear telling me i gues all about what went on all day...
if she was out at meal time, would run around getting a sample of everything...
a few years later the wife found out WHY you want only a single... they called me at work for the formula mix, they found another... by the time i got home it became 4! momma got run over and the litter was climbing out looking tfor a feeding
as they grew and got inter-acting they realized they WERENT people and would tear the place apart!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:47 am 

:lol: That's great... Anyone who is willing to raise a wild critter, will never be bored!!LOL I knew several who raised baby racoons... the stories were side splitting..LOL.. I'm sure a group of squirrels must have been very entertaining. At least squirrels arn't nocternal...
About tobacco and pets... some of the "oldtimers" used to feed their dogs(make swallow probably) some plug to kill intestinal worms and fleas.... The dogs didn't die... don't know about the intestinal worms and fleas???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:52 pm 

over the years we have had coon, squirrels, FLYING squirrels amd a skunk...
2 stories that are the best were the flying squirrels and the skunk
both were h.s. years, buddies and i were working on the bikes to go ride the power lines that weekend
guy is there to service the heater, and the skunk (as usual) was into everything, even climbing in the guys tool box
he looks up as we walk through to get some tools and asks, "he is fixed isnt he?"
after the reply that he wasnt, and if he is a pain just shove him away he says
"no thanks, he can do WHATEVER HE WANTS!"

the litter of flying squirrels ended up keeping residence for couple years in g-dads cookhouse where we cooked the scrapple
one of the guys was a real city slick, knew dip about critters
had a brainstorm about the way the lil guys would wake up and swoop donn all over you looking for sweets we kept in a pocket...
"hey Steve, go down to the cookhouse and see if the big bowsaw is in there?"
cousin starts to tell me (too loudly) that i know the saw isnt down there till i gave him a kick
Steve opens the door, and about a dozen furry winged critters swoop down and cover his shoulders and front.
i bet you could have heard the scream a mile away while my cuz and i damned near pissed ourselves laaughing!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 am 

reminds me of this movie - which i loved to watch and i own now

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064875/