How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Worming Cattle With Tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:47 pm 

Hi --

About a week ago a rancher in S. Texas ordered seeds from me in order to grow tobacco to worm his cattle. He asked me how to do it and I referred him to a cattle organization since I don't have any clue!

Today, a fried of mine said his grandfather grew tobacco to worm horses with in Indiana.

Suddenly, I'm deluged by all these people talking about worming livestock with tobacco and I don't have a clue!

Anyone know about this? Recommended doses per lbs of livestock? Recommended kinds of tobacco to use? Does this work?

Thanks!

Bob

Post subject: Re: Worming Cattle With Tobacco
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:23 pm 

Sorry, no clue here either, but Interesting... I always heard that a tiny drop of nicotine would kill a cow, or was that a horse, or maybe it was an elephant. At any rate, jus' goes to show it'll at least kill worms and insects.
Do people eat tobacco? I read somewhere that you can wrap a tomalley with a leaf.. i donno... sorta afraid to try.

might be a whole new career... not to mention another reason to sell tobacco without the hefty taxes - sell it as food - - save the livestock!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:26 pm 

Out of curiosity, I googled it, and it was an old fashioned, civil war method. It is not recommended. Yes, the animal will eat it, but in the quantity that would be needed to kill the worms, it said it would make the animal really sick. I would make no recommendations on this method, except, don't go there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:04 pm 

Diatomaceous earth would be a better solution
Quote:
Pest control

Diatomite is also used as an insecticide, due to its physico-sorptive properties. The fine powder absorbs lipids from the waxy outer layer of insects' exoskeletons, causing them to dehydrate. Arthropods die as a result of the water pressure deficiency, based on Fick's law of diffusion. This also works against gastropods and is commonly employed in gardening to defeat slugs. However, since slugs inhabit humid environments, efficacy is very low. It is sometimes mixed with an attractant or other additives to increase its effectiveness. Medical-grade diatomite is sometimes used to de-worm both animals and humans. It is most commonly used in lieu of boric acid, and can be used to help control and eventually eliminate a cockroach infestation. This material has wide application for insect control in grain storage.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:00 pm 

People probably wouldn't do this either but we use to feed hogs small doses of caustic soda ( lie ) to kill and prevent worms . About once a month we would take a couple tea spoons and toss it in the feed bucket . This was spread out between several hogs but it never hurt them and we never had worm problems .

This done a much better job than the feed with wormer in it you can buy and was much cheaper too . Now days you would probably be arrested for doing things that use to be common practice . Hogs were always fed lie and coal too . You couldn't give them enough coal they would eat every lump you tossed to them . I suppose the coal replaced minerals they were lacking . Thats why we were told to feed it to them anyhow .

One things for sure they would flat eat the stuff like they liked it LOL . Just crunch , crunch and they would root the mud untill they found every small lump

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:11 pm 

Just saw this... the 1st time I ever tried a smoke... was Bull Durham in a cloth bag. I was raised Quaker and smoking was not allowed... but my Dad bought a box of Bull Durham that we mixed into the horse feed to worm the horses....worked great... I got my hands on a corncob pipe and smoked some of it out behind the barn.... Ackkkk......but it didn't stop me from finding something better to smoke....smoked the pipe way before cigs.... mainly cigs now.. and an occasional GREAT cigar.
....Man... this thread brought back some memories.... good thing I didn't get caught... or I might not be here today..
Oh yeah.... forgot to mention....Us kids would get worms too......Mon would worm us twice a year.... and it was needed.. So much for running around barefoot in the barnyard.....LOL....good thing was, we built up a LOT of resistance to what makes most folks sick!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:16 pm 

Hotglue

Most of us from the south run around barefoot . I can't ever remember getting worms though lol . Maybe we did but I never knew it if we did . Can't ever remember getting wormed either lol . I can remember some kids getting worms though .

But I can't believe it was from running around barefoot . Maybe it was but I find that hard to believe . I do know livestock can contract worms through their feet and walking in worm infested dirt . But every kid in these parts would have had worms if it was very common to catch from going barefoot .

Who knows maybe you have more agressive worms in your neck of the woods lol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:51 pm 

Generally, you can get worms running around barefoot if you have animals with worms, dogs livestock etc. from the feces of the animals. I ran around all my youth barefoot and no worms. We had no dogs or livestock.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:50 pm 

Jack

Oh well that explains it then LOL Our folks tought us to walk around the dog shet not through the stuff :roll: Just joking HG LOL .