How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Religious Usage
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:20 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure if there is enough interest in this topic to keep this forum. I created it because I've read history on how Indians used it and found it interesting. Also a co-worker of mine is an american indian currently using tobacco as an offering. I'm not sure if current religious users would care to discuss this subject in public so I may end-up posting some links that describe the historical use and move this into a general forum.

Post subject: Religion
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 am 

I think it's a fascinating topic, Roy. I hope someone can find some information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:18 pm 
Site Admin

Here is a link that has some historical religious information. I will add more as I find them:

http://www.uihealthcare.com/depts/medmu ... bacco.html

Post subject: Historical Uses
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:56 am 

Fascinating, especially the medical uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:02 pm 

AHO!

My name is Brian. I am from the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Nation. I joined this forum just to learn how to grow ceremonial Tobacco. I hope to learn lots. Ihope with some good reading (found here :) ) and some praying that my plants will do well. I nice to find this topic thread :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:26 am 

hi.yes,im also very interested in the Ritual uses of tobacco

Post subject: New to Forum... Many Questions
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:07 pm 

I too think this is an important topic. The reason I was lead to your site was because of my desire to grow tobacco for use in offerings and ceremony. I am learning some about the uses of tobacco in Native culture from some of my friends here in Canada. I always knew that tobacco had a sacred quality to it.

That's why I want to grow my own. I believe the stuff you buy in the store is tainted with who knows what. It would be a purer offering if it were pure tobacco. I am buying the wild kind in seed form from a seed company in Canada. They also sell the popular DelSol or whatever, but I'm going to try growing the wild kind. Anyone have any luck with the wild kind?

Also I just joined the site tonight and haven't had much chance to research how I'm going to grow it. I live in Canada and it's almost Autumn now... What are my chances of being able to have a Tobacco "grow Op" in my basement? What about growing it in flower pots in front of a bright window? Or will I have to wait until next summer?

One more question... How long will it take to grow tobacco from seed to ready to smoke? (Just wondering how much longer I will have to buy the store kind)

Thank you

Post subject: Basement Tobacco Grow...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:55 am 

I'm also from Canada (Winnipeg), so I know what a pain our short seasons are, but unless you have tons of room, and are willing to pay a lot of money, I'd avoid an indoor grow.

Tobacco plants, even the much smaller wild (N. Rustica) types take up quite a bit of room. Considering the electricity, lights and ballasts, fertilizer, soil, and pots you'd need (and considering wild tobacco's small yield) that'll be really expensive tobacco. Also, if you're trying to produce a few pounds of tobacco the electricity and inputs involved will make you look just like a marijuana grow op.

If you're in a really cold part of Canada it might pay off to buy a few 400 watt HID grow lights to start good strong plants for spring. Valentine's day is a good start day where I am in zone 2b.

Cam

Post subject: More stuff...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 am 

I forgot the last part of your question.

I start the seeds Feb. 14 and expect to harvest early to mid September. After that there's curing and fermenting which will vary in time depending on your method. You're pretty much guaranteed to make a bunch of mistakes your first year so don't count on being off of the bought stuff soon. Even if you do everything perfectly you can't count on getting more than 150-200g of finished tobacco per plant so make sure you have the necessary garden space. I think the bare minimum per plant is a square meter. 1.5 meters square would probably be much better.

Side note:
According to Part 3 of bill C-47 you can grow up to 15kg of tobacco (I'm assuming that's finished weight) per family member in your household over the age of 18 on the land you reside on as long as it's for personal use.

This seems to mean that you can only grow on the plot of land your residence occupies. No garden plots, no rented fields, no fields you own that you don't live on. Not a qualified legal opinion, but worth thinking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:52 am 

Thank you! You've answered all my questions and more. I live in Saskatchewan and so I'm sure we would be in the same zone. Good point about the tobacco grow op looking like an illegal one. I best avoid that. Sounds like the plants indoors would be too high maintenance and not very cost effective.

I will wait until Feb and start as you have suggested. Thank you also for the legal information, as I was not aware of the different restrictions.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Religious Usage
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:01 am 

I have never considered my habit to be religious, but being 1/4 indian, I could say that that current laws and taxes are infringing on my religious freedom. In a sense, they are infringing on the religious freedom of all people, whether indian or not, because religion has a much wider definition than is commonly used. Religion means any set of ideas or practices that a person may adhere to, not just those of mainstream churches or doctrines. Even science is a religion by this definition, because those that practice and adhere to many scientific principles are far more devout and outspoken than those of historical religions. Therefore, it boils down to whether one religion has the right to force people of other faiths to bend to their will? I for one, say no.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:21 am 

Being almost, not quite, a quarter indian, I am fascinated. Come on Roy, tell us about it.
I like to explore cultures, especially ones of my ancestors.
I know nothing. But, if you who do know will post I will read it and ask questions. I am a good audience.
C'mon smoke a peace pipe with us! Really, would each of you tell us what you know, and what your experience has been in regards to tobacco and religious rites, or how about the ceremonial uses?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:06 pm 

There are plenty of Google returns, if you search for "Indian religious tobacco". Here is the first one that I read:

http://www.niichro.com/Tobacco/Tobac1.html

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:11 pm 

Good link, but they've got one thing wrong, everything I've read has indicated the N. Rustica is stronger than commercial tobacco especially the nicotine levels. N. Rustica is cultivated commercially to produce nicotine based insecticide.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:16 pm 

"The substances are themselves as creatures of God without impurity, and in this their native state are free to the use of all; but the ministries to which in their use they are devoted, makes all the difference... I burn the Arabian product myself, but not with the same ceremony, nor in the same dress, nor with the same pomp, with which it is done to idols."
Tertullian, The Chaplet, part first, chap.10