How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mold
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:22 pm 

So what happens if you smoke a little mold? Do you get "moldy"???

Post subject: Re: Mold
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:36 am 

I have smoked baccy that has had a certain amount of the white fuzzy mold on it... but certainly NOT before I toasted the heck out of it in the oven !

Of course, if the leaf had degenerated, it goes out with the rest of the compost.

Bad effects?

Well, I don't see pink elephants skateboarding, regularly, or flaming rainbows, very often, but I have a bit of a cough.

YMMV
rc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:03 am 

If you've ever smoked commercial cigs then you've smoked a little mold. Do you think the cig companies are gonna through out 100 pound bales of tobacco because of a little mold? lol

As already stated by Rustycase, a good toasting should make it just fine. :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 pm 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Doesn't the big company's nuke tobacco to among other things kill mold and harmful bacteria ?
To also speed up aging ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:58 pm 

All cig tobacco is toasted, so yep, they nuke it. Some if not all pipe tobaccos are stoved/heated also, whether it speeds aging is a guess, you have to remember, that the big tobacco companies store their leaf for up to 2 years and sometimes more, in the case of pipe or cigar tobacco, before it's used.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:42 pm 

wydeboi wrote:
Do you think the cig companies are gonna through out 100 pound bales of tobacco because of a little mold?

Right hundred pound bales... alls I can say is, the bales they use may be quite a bit larger then that. And it may get tossed if is doesn't meet spec. Lots of care may go into keeping it from growing mold from farm to cigarette.

Lots of steam is used as well. They also apply mold inhibitors. I would suspect most cigarettes have very trace amounts of living mold if any by the time you get em. Probably start off with trace amounts though. Also tobacco beetles like to eat up cured tobacco; those are mostly filtered out by the time you get to smoking a ciggy as well :wink:

Like others have said, I would toast it, nuke it, steam it real good before smokin' it if it's moldy. Personally I just cut the moldy bit off and use the rest of the leaf if it ain't too much.