How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:40 pm 

I'd like to add that pesticides are not, in general, absorbed by tobacco. Only systemic pesticides are absorbed by any green plant. A good wash before hanging your leaves to dry should remove all pesticide residues. That being said, I believe pesticides like Neem Oil, and Safer are the way to go.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:57 am 

Pesticides are too hazardous to store, and in using them you need caution. I live on a hillside, leading into a valley that goes to the lake, and heavy rains could deposit that residue in the lake. It also kills the good bugs, like bees, and my friendly bug eaters- the birds. I use a lot of garlic and hot pepper, and I interplant strong smelling plants with my at risk plants. I do not do monocropping, I will have garlic and broccoli side by side and tomatoes and marigolds together. If pests do get too far ahead of me, I will use Bt or diatomaceous earth since these are harmless to me and the good guys. The amount of rainfall seems to affect the bug, disease issues: too dry and bugs are bad, too wet and disease is a problem. If fleas or ticks are a problem, I simply buy or hatch more poultry and eat lots of garlic until they can solve that problem.
Does anyone have a pesticide free solution for ants? With all of this rain, my house has been invaded, they think it is Noah's Ark. And the crazy thing is, they are mostly anywhere there is water... why not outside... lots of water there. I am told that orange peels rubbed on their trails will stop them, my experience, they make a new trail and continue being a nuisance. I talked to exterminators and they assure me that even mansions and brand new homes have this battle and they spray constantly to try to keep them at bay. Of course, exterminators swear there is no way to eradicate them; they just keep spraying on a set schedule. Even my meter loop box is full of ants!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:30 am 

If they are carpenter ants, the big black ones, then I can relate what an ecterminator that did routine spraying at an apartment complex I used to manage told me and it worked like a charm. He said to remove any leaves and other debris from around the house to at least 1 ft. So create a clean area a ft wide all around the house. Pull back leaves and mulch from around the foundation. Well I did it and within days the ants were all gone. No pesticides, just housekeeping.

not really on the subject of healthy smoking but you asked so....

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:03 am 

Now on to the healthy smoking issue.

I owned a store selling vitamins and natural medicines for 10 years. I was a store opened by a long term friend of mine but they couldn't make a serious go of the business, in large part because they tried to do too much and so never were able to put the energy into the core of the business. I have smoked since I was 15. When I took over the business it was a concern for me about what the customers would think and so I would step out the back into the alleyway when I had a cigarette. This didn't last long, about 2 weeks, when a customer walked by the alley and waved. I felt like I was sneaking around and being hypocritical and so I decided to smoke in front of the store where we had tables set up so people could have a coffee or tea, which we also sold for much of the shops life. I decided that I would rather deal with any customer issues straight up then to sneak around and try to hide my personal choice from customers. It was the best course of action. A customer and friend early on said that people had commented on the incongruity of someone owning a shop such as mine and smoking. I responded that I would never advocate smoking as a healthy choice, it was an addiction of mine and I would be the first to admit that it was one of the most damaging things that I could do for my own health, but that always strove to give my customers the best advice I could, always recomended what I felt was best for them and not just attempt to sell them more things to boost my profitability. That I always attempted to do what was in my customers best interest and that if that wasn't good enough for them then maybe they should shop at the health food store down the street, which btw was owned by one of the sickest looking healthy people I had ever seen, and managed and staffed by another sickly looking healthy person although she was sincere and a friend. It was the right attitude and people got over the incongruity. It always amazed me at trade shows how many people who own health food stores are so sickly looking. It also amazed me how many owners smoked, although not the same group that looked sick. A rep told me about 20 percent of stores had an owner that smoked although most did hide the fact from their customers.

But lets not delude ourselves. Smoking is not a healthy thing to do. We choose to continue to smoke for our own reasons whatever they may be. We all have stories of heavy smokers with great longevity. I grew up near a farm owned by 2 elderly brothers one of whom smoked 4 packs of Camel non filters a day. He could work me into the ground when I was 17-18 and he lived to almost 80. Of course he sounded like he was going to cough up a lung for much of the time I knew him. But the statistics are very clear that we increase our risk by smoking for many illnesses and diseases. Are natural tobaccos less harmful, of course, but they still aren't a good thing for your health.

Of course if you are a light smoker of 6 or less cigarettes a day, or an occasional cigar or pipe smoker then the risks are probably negligible compared to the relaxation that your light smoking provides.

I started to roll my own cigarettes because of 2 tax increases back in 1998 or 99. I switched after a while to a tobacco with no toppings or additives although not organically grown, and I did notice that I had fewer respiratory issues then when I smoked commercial ciggs. But I would never try to convince myself that I was doing something healthy by smoking, only doing it in a less harmful manner.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:20 am 

Yeah, I like your honesty in being upfront. I bet customers did too.
You know, my doctor (retired) told me if I really truly love smoking, then if I have 3 per day. Just sit down and totally enjoy them, my body's own healing mechanism would be able to repair most of the damage done.
My great grandfather, lit one cigarette off of another, and drank whiskey, everyday until the smokes and drinks killed him at 95.
I bet when he started smoking, gee in the 1800's that they were not so deadly. But, the poisons back then surely were: ddt etc.
Back to current topics: What is it that they are putting into cigarette papers? I saw a post mentioning additives, but not sure what is added?
Are there organic or pure papers without additives, that could be harmful?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:32 am 

sure there are, unfortunately the best cigarette papers are made from hemp and so can not be grown in the USA. Netherlands produces a huge amount of hemp fiber and paper but most of the hemp papers are intended for smoking pot and are quite expensive and I don't think many are used to make tubes for injector cigarette makers. The best of these papers are pretty clean.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:16 am 

Half of it is hereditary and health too. Some folks just don’t have healthy bodies and can only take a bit of smoke before they get a cancer or other disease. Other folks have an asthma trouble if they smell cig smoke. Other’s can smoke like a chimney and live just as long sometimes longer, than many non-smokers.

Also depends on how well you take care of your self. I’m very much into taking my vitamins everyday, not to mention the anti-oxidants. Much of the smoking crowd probably doesn’t focus on their vitamins/nutrients, and the food they eat. Exercise is another important activity. We all heard it as kids, getting the blood going, muscles moving is always something much of America needs now.

I think it's common sense around here that putting smoke in your lungs isn't a good thing to do; however, there are a few steps smokers can take to extend their life: Smoke only pure tobacco, take vitamins/nutrients, and exercise regularly. Now if you have a line of cancer and heart disease relatives that came before you, there's not much you can do about that other than hope you didn't get those genes or just don't smoke.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:40 am 

There surely is no accounting for allergies. I smoke heavily, unfortunately, and have asthma. It is controlled by my healthful diet and exercise, and constitution only rescue medications, no daily ones needed. However, I will have an instant allergy attack, if you spray any aerosols in the house, or if I enter too soon after someone sprays them, like public restrooms where they spray room freshener. A few, not many, perfumes will get me too, and the pesticide aisles in Lowes or Walmart are tough areas for me.
I suppose that is exactly the reaction some people have to tobacco. I don't have aerosols in my house at all and you know, my allergies could be why I am so dead set against pesticides? I never thought of that.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:53 am 

My two cents. Purely personal opinion.

We've all heard or known the person who smoked and lived to old age.
I'm reminded of Jim Fixx (might have that last name spelled wrong) who was an avid runner, great health, ate right etc. who dropped dead of a heart attack in his 40's as I remember.

I say own your vices, enjoy them, you don't know how long you will live. I'd rather live a life enjoying my small pleasures than live a life denying myself a few small pleasures. In my opinion, it's quality of life, not quantity that makes the difference. I smoke because I enjoy it, period. I roll my own because it gives me more control over the product I smoke and (previously) it saved me money. I see growing my own as a way to take full control over the end product that I use and I'll save some money to boot.

The Devil take the tax man.

(end rant) :)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:01 am 

The tax man continues to get my money :cry:
Is there no way at all to convince these plants to grow faster? They have been germinated for 3 days, and not blooming or 5 feet tall yet! :lol:
No, really, is there anything that I can do to accommodate these little guys for faster growth to the size that I can transplant them. I have light on them, down close, I watch the water, no drying or soaking, and keep them warm and comfortable, can I sing to them, nah not good, talk to them, something to help them grow? I know no fertilizer, I know they are busy building roots, but would anything at all help them?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:04 am 

In the early stages, patience is a virtue. I've read that when they are planted out and get a good foothold that they grow fast. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:18 am 

With any transplants I am growing for the garden I begin fertilization when the first set of true leaves are well emerged. I do use a hydroponic fertilizer because I am growing in a soilless mix which does not supply calcium and this fertilizer provides nutients in a plant usable form as opposed to most fertilizers which must be broken down somewhat before the plant can use them. Use lots of light. I use 4 40 watt flourescents for a 24 x 48 inch area of 4 flats. Other than that you can begin to roll your own, it is still cheaper. www.cigarettetobacco.com links to the 2 websites that succed the former d + r tobacco. One of which sells all their former blends as "pipe tobacco", sssshhhhh.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:51 am 

Hey, thanks guys. Now to find a machine, or learn how to do the roll your own thing. I did use the machine (Laredo?) and rolled my own way back when. Anyhow, it came with papers (tubes) and cans of tobacco. I got better at it, but after the new wore off, it was inconvenient, and tobacco was fairly cheap back then, less incentive to keep with it.
Hey I see sunlight, plants are going outside with me! I eat sleep and breath with these little babies. tee hee

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:57 pm 

Ozark lady,

Quote:
can I sing to them, nah not good, talk to them

Maybe that's why all house plants that I had in the past, had premature deaths. I never sang or spoke to them. If one believes what has been reported in the media, plants would like music (singing) better than just talking. Maybe a continous environment of recorded music would invigorate them. Lullabies and ballads to relax them, and moderately loud Wagner (Ride Of The Valkerie) to arouse them.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:18 pm 

Backee Jane is growing strong
Li'l Backee Jane
Backee Jane is strong and tall
Li'l Backee Jane

Oh Li'l Backee
Li'l Backee Jane
Oh Li'l Backee
Li'l Backee Jane

Backee Jane sings this song
Li'l Backee Jane
Backee Road is 5 miles long
Li'l Backee Jane

Oh Li'l Backee
Li'l Backee Jane
Oh Li'l Backee
Li'l Backee Jane

(sung to the tune of Li'l Liza Jane)

Feel free to make up your own lyrics! lol!
:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next