How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 87
This is not so much about whether tobacco in general is good or not, but about how healthy that factory cigarettes are vs roll your own. Until the new tax on rolling tobacco took effect, I had been rolling my cigarettes using a loose tobacco that I purchased at the local smoke shop. which had no additives. Before I started making my own, I had developed a fair case of bronchial and lung congestion, which my doctor was nagging me about, but on my last examination, about 3 weeks ago, the doctor took longer than usual pressing my chest and back, listening for wheezing, and was surprised to hear none, no matter how hard she tried.

Since the tax, because it was even more outrageous for loose tobacco, than for factory cigarettes, I have been forced to use the latter, because even if I were willing to pay the ransom for rolling tobacco, the supply has almost dried up. Even the online source that still listed loose tobacco for sale at nearly the pre-tax price, ended up sending me regular cigarettes instead. Pricewise I can't complain, because the total price of the cartons that they sent was more than I paid for, I do complain that my coughing and wheezing is returning. If health really was the basis of this taxation, then it is ironic that they are forcing smokers to either use processed cigarettes, along with the additives that entails, or to do as I'm just started out...to grow my own. My problem is that living in an apt., I don't have sufficient space to grow enough to supply but only a small percentage of what I use each year.

It is egregious that anyone has to pay these burdensome taxes, regardless of what they prefer to smoke, but not nearly so bad as having a 1 pound bag of rolling tobacco going from $14.75 to $55.00 overnight. If the government really cared about people's health, they would force the tobacco companys to produce a healthier cigarettes, without the additives, rather than simply profiteering on people's addictions...like dope dealers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 1624
Location: NW Arkansas, USA zone 7A elevation 1561 feet
But, we are paying for children's health care, don't you know? Funny, I am raising a grandchild and my tax dollars, have not paid for one cent of her upkeep. Maybe, someday, it will? I think it is simply a free ride that the government is looking for, now that they have depleted all of our social security savings on whacky programs. Before I get anyone riled, both parties stole our social security, just research it. Or it is the redistribution of wealth, from the smokers to ?? the government?
When the government pretended to balance the budget, social security funds could be 'borrowed' and not accounted for, and not included in the budget. And the government kept adding people to the social security pay out system. Now, the baby boomers are aging and they keep raising the age of collection, they don't have the money. And we have fewer young people entering the work force to help by paying in social security.
So.. ta da... smokers to the rescue. I think they believe most smokers are baby boomers, so they are recovering money they are paying out.. But it is their money anyhow!
Would you say that I am right or wrong, most people who use RYO are retired and not wealthy? I honestly don't know, but if I am right do you see the connection?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 87
I would imagine that it has been true that many people that RYO are of the older generation, but that seems to be changing. As many young people have started smoking, they are also effected by the tax yoke, and this forum is proof that many people of all ages are looking for a way to remove this mill stone from their neck. The millstone is the tax, not the tobacco.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:34 pm
Posts: 2738
It's been my experience that RYO folks are basically middle income to poor folks, trying to save a buck and are all ages.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 1155
Location: Nashville TN
It's all about the money. You're right. The government knows full well about the filth in today’s commercial cigs, but they care. The only problem is, eventually smokers are going to run about smoking money and the government will need to find a new thing to tax.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 383
Location: Northeastern Ohio
wydeboi wrote:
It's been my experience that RYO folks are basically middle income to poor folks, trying to save a buck and are all ages.


In my case, I was tired of the poor quality and read about the chemicals in commercial cigarettes. I tried one brand I wasn't satisfied with then switched to NAS organic. I smoked that for almost two years. The same year as I started stuffing my own I also grew my first crop of tobacco. That 2007 crop has air cured and aged nicely and has been my primary tobacco for almost two months.

I gave cigarettes made from my tobacco to two neighbors and a cashier at the tobacco shop where I buy the NAS organic. One neighbor commented on how good it was. The other neighbor and the smoke shop employee both suggested that I go into business making and selling cigarettes. They liked them that much. The smoke shop employee told me she'd buy some if I'd make them for her.

I can't wait for this year's crop, and the reactions to the blends I come up with. Excluding cigar types I'll have 24 varieties to work with. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 1624
Location: NW Arkansas, USA zone 7A elevation 1561 feet
Organic tobacco. Sounds very good. I do garden organically, and am interested in healthy food choices.
Many non-smokers look at me like I am crazy and say, "Step one to taking care of your health is quit smoking!"
I eat right and exercise, both my medical doctor and chiropractor comment on my health being so good. Of course, medical doctor pushes not smoking, but she does admit to liking the smell of tobacco also. We considered tobacco scented incense.
I know a RN who smokes, and she says smokers are healthier than non-smokers. Her theory is: germs enter the body through our nose and mouth, the smoke and the nicotine kill many of these germs, therefore protecting us from some illnesses.
What do you think? Tobacco incense? Smoking stops germs from entering our lungs?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 383
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Ozark lady wrote:
Organic tobacco. Sounds very good. I do garden organically, and am interested in healthy food choices.
Many non-smokers look at me like I am crazy and say, "Step one to taking care of your health is quit smoking!"
I eat right and exercise, both my medical doctor and chiropractor comment on my health being so good. Of course, medical doctor pushes not smoking, but she does admit to liking the smell of tobacco also. We considered tobacco scented incense.
I know a RN who smokes, and she says smokers are healthier than non-smokers. Her theory is: germs enter the body through our nose and mouth, the smoke and the nicotine kill many of these germs, therefore protecting us from some illnesses.
What do you think? Tobacco incense? Smoking stops germs from entering our lungs?


I'll have to think about it. I have to admit that I am unusually healthy. If I catch a cold (which happens every year or two) it's duration is measured in hours. Typically eight to twelve hours from sniffles to gone. The same for the flue. I always attributed this to whatever the army pumped into me.

I'll admit that for me smoking has one major benefit. As a child I suffered with a serious pollen allergy. I often received two or three injections a week in an attempt to desensitize me. Since I started smoking my allergy gradually became less severe and the bad days are now the exception rather than the rule. When I smoked the commercial brands I tried quitting several times and when warm weather came my allergy was just as bad as it was when I was a child.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 87
Until I had a stroke, back in 2003, I hadn't had a cold since childhood. I'm not certain that I have had since, but I did have a problem for a while with a runny nose. I can only remember having the flu twice...the last time in 1974 and once about 20 years before that. I won't give tobacco the credit for that, but I wouldn't be surprised if tobacco killed some germs...after all, the nicotine in tobacco is an insecticide, and the indians did use it medicinally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 am
Posts: 1624
Location: NW Arkansas, USA zone 7A elevation 1561 feet
Please, no one shoot me! I have never had the flu. Oh, I had measles, mumps, chicken pox, and the usual for back then. I had allergies so severe, that my tonsils were removed at age 7. Seems that I was always sick one way or another. Then, at 14 I started smoking.. result? I have had one sinus infection, 1 bout of bronchitis, and one major asthma attack and one more sinus attack after my house burned in 2008 (but my carbon monoxide level was 33 at the time.. really bad and no ill effects);
My sister does not smoke, never has, and she is sick constantly. Being sisters, surely our immunity should be very similar? Most non-smokers that I know are always sick.
I often joke, smokers don't get sick, don't miss work, etc. Just one fine day, the tobacco takes you out. But if you add up the days the non-smokers are incapacitated and compared it to how smoking (allegedly) shortens our lives, I think we win!
I wonder if there has ever been an unbiased study done on this very issue. Most studies are done to prove one point or another. I am not saying that tobacco does not contribute to cancers or copd. I am just wondering how ill days of smokers compare to ill days of non-smokers. How could we research that online? I mean what word would you enter to try to find an unbiased study? Also, I wonder if we research the additives in commercial tobacco and compare the statistics of these additives? Hmm. I just make more and more work for myself. Is there any place to look up these additives as far as their impact on the human body? I would like to chart it like: tobacco, additive 1, additive 2 etc. and see what I can find. But, where to look? Help! Come on guys, you've never let me down. Does someone know this result already, no point beating a dead dog?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 87
Ozark lady,

"Unbiased study"? That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Like you, I have wondered about how much of the health issues with tobacco is due to the additives, but I do not believe that you will ever find this broken down in a fashion that would answer your question. The only thing that I can offer is the comments that I made in my OP, about my health smoking tobacco with and without additives. One thing that I'm certain of, is that there are no additives used that make tobacco healthier.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 383
Location: Northeastern Ohio
seekermeister wrote:
Ozark lady,

"Unbiased study"? That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Like you, I have wondered about how much of the health issues with tobacco is due to the additives, but I do not believe that you will ever find this broken down in a fashion that would answer your question. The only thing that I can offer is the comments that I made in my OP, about my health smoking tobacco with and without additives. One thing that I'm certain of, is that there are no additives used that make tobacco healthier.


That's the reason for my switch to organic tobacco and my intent to grow tobacco using organic methods and relying on repellents rather than insecticides. I'll be using my infusion again this year (garlic, cayenne, black pepper, and a bit of soap) and a spray made with a combination of essential oils (Peppermint, Geranium, Tea Tree, Cedarwood, Lemon Eucalyptus, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Citronella and Neem). I'll alternate them at a two week interval.

I find it very disturbing that chemicals are added to commercial cigarettes keep tobacco burning and now states are requiring FSC paper with more chemicals to make them extinguish. Why don't they just take out the chemicals that make the cigarettes keep burning?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 1155
Location: Nashville TN
tekwyzrd wrote:
seekermeister wrote:
Ozark lady,

"Unbiased study"? That's an oxymoron, isn't it? Like you, I have wondered about how much of the health issues with tobacco is due to the additives, but I do not believe that you will ever find this broken down in a fashion that would answer your question. The only thing that I can offer is the comments that I made in my OP, about my health smoking tobacco with and without additives. One thing that I'm certain of, is that there are no additives used that make tobacco healthier.


That's the reason for my switch to organic tobacco and my intent to grow tobacco using organic methods and relying on repellents rather than insecticides. I'll be using my infusion again this year (garlic, cayenne, black pepper, and a bit of soap) and a spray made with a combination of essential oils (Peppermint, Geranium, Tea Tree, Cedarwood, Lemon Eucalyptus, Cinnamon, Lemongrass, Citronella and Neem). I'll alternate them at a two week interval.

I find it very disturbing that chemicals are added to commercial cigarettes keep tobacco burning and now states are requiring FSC paper with more chemicals to make them extinguish. Why don't they just take out the chemicals that make the cigarettes keep burning?


There's a lot of science into making commercial cigs. Most cigs have poor quality tobacco( which makes up only 50% of a cig). That mixed paper/recon pulp that is dried and shredded don't really burn that well. So then you need to add chemicals that will aid in the burn. After that you need some masking chemicals and compounds, it's not like the people smoking them notice. Sure their heart, lungs, ect will down the road, but that isn't the cig company's problem. And let's not forget about frontloading. A good pure tobacco cig will burn just fine with any additives.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:36 pm
Posts: 87
Before this last tax heist, I made my cigaretttes with Echo rolling tobacco, which is produced by the Cheriokee indians, and has NO additives. I never had a problem keeping them burning, but with keeping the ember from falling of the cigarette at times. That was due largely to my being hasty with stuffing the tubes. However, factory cigarettes do burn slower, thus longer. If the tobacco producers removed the addtive(s) that caused that behavior, many of the customers would feel that they had been ripped off. There is a balancing act between the tobacco companys and the government to keep smokers happy with the product, while the government rakes it in.

While I see no problem with organic care for the plants (if you really know what you are doing, and stay on top of it), it should be noted that the pesticides used by the tobacco farmers are not additives...two different balls of wax.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Healthy Smoking
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am
Posts: 383
Location: Northeastern Ohio
Cameron wrote:
A good pure tobacco cig will burn just fine with any additives.


How well I know. I'm about to light up another cigarette made from my unadulterated home grown blend.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group