How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Air Purifier
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:11 am 

This post doesn't exactly belong on this particular board, but I found no place better. I want to buy a very good air purifier, not for health reasons, but because being disabled, I spend a great deal of time in my apartment, thus the smoke residue builds up pretty quickly on the walls, etc. I have been able to deal with that for the most part in the apt. that I have been living in, but I'm in the process of moving to another that has a sloping ceiling, with the high end far out of my reach. Even with a normal flat ceiling, it is difficult to clean due to the texturing. I do have a purfier that was supposed to be able to purify the air in an area twice the volume of my apt., but it isn't doing the job. That is partly because that it is only a hepa/charcoal filter type, without ionization, but the ones that I found that did have all of the trio of filtering were pretty expensive for my budget, and I don't want to spend the money, unless I'm certain that it will work. Therefore I'm asking for input from anyone that has a system that really works for them.

Post subject: Re: Air Purifier
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:39 am 

Well I can't recommend a particular filter, but I will say that you shouldn't waste your money on ionizing air filters - especially the heavily marketed ones from Sharper Image, etc. They really don't work as well as they say, and the byproduct is always carbon dioxide/monoxide or ozone. You purify the air for health benefits, or for odors/stains.. and you get something potentially toxic as the result of your endeavors. From my experiences, I find that air purifiers only work in the specific room in which they are placed. Therefore, you could either do all of your smoking, etc, in one sealed room where the air purifier is, or you could invest in getting several purifiers. The same holds true with small air conditioners - they only really work in one small space, even when they say up to 600sq ft. Sorry I couldn't help more, but I hope this gives you some ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 am 

Thanks, but my primary interest in a purfier is to remove the smoke for the purpose of keeping it from collecting on the walls, etc. of my aparment, so that it is easier to keep clean. If I wanted the purifier for health purposes, it would be easier to quit smoking...but that's not going to happen. From what I can tell, an ionizing filter is necessary to effectively remove smoke from the air, any other type of filter and the smoke just passes through. As far as the byproducts that you mentioned, I will just have to ponder on that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:38 pm 

I use an air filter in my smoking room. The room is not connected to the main house so it works well. However, when you change that filter after a couple of months makes ya think twice about smoking! :shock: :lol: (not me, but you may!)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:54 pm 

My problem is that my apartment has a vaulted ceiling over the kitchen and living room, and I estimate that the high point is ~18-20 feet high. Even with the 12.5 foot extension ladder that I have, being disabled, I don't trust myself to climb to the top of it, and even if I did, my reach would still fall short. The only "smoking room" that I have is either the bedroom, bathroom or balcony, but I don't spend enough time in any of those for my habit. Originally, I thought that I would use the bedroom as my smoker, but the air intake for the central h/ac is there, and with the dated construction of the building, I can't find a filter that would catch the smoke before distributing it to the rest of the apartment.

The only other "solution" that I have thought of is to buy some Blu electronic cigarettes, but apparently they are so popular that they have stopped taking orders until August 1 to clearup their backlog.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:42 pm 

they say that the best air purifiers are plants..... im doing 8 tobacco plants this winter in my house, talk about doing double duty haha

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:26 pm 

I think that the only thing good that plants do in terms of purifying the air is to remove carbon dioxide from it, but that might help with what carbon dioxide is added by an ionized purfier, as mentioned above. It appears that when it comes to plants that I have all brown thumbs, because the ones that I germinated earlier in the year never made it to the soil. I'm going to try again, maybe I'll get it right next time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:07 am 

Hi --

The FDA has a warning out over the electronic cigarettes. I posted a link in the forum somewhere, you might search for FDA to find it or my posts.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:24 am 

Thanks, I found the warning:

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 173222.htm

While they may contain carcinogens, the same can be said for regular cigarettes, so I'm not certain that is too shocking. My first knee jerk reaction is that this is typical of the government's current paradigm, and has more to do with taxation than it does with health.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:30 pm 

One thing that you can do with E-cigs is "smoke" them on planes. Still, I think there's a little more to smoking than just the nicotine.