How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: changing to home grown
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:17 am 

Hi All
I was looking at the number of people that are on this forum. It got me to wondering , When a smoker starts his own home grown and months later quits buying cigerettes,does the antis think they converted another to a non smoker. The sales go down , the taxes go down. Must mean another went to nonsmokers list Lol. lee

Post subject: Re: changing to home grown
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:16 pm 

Maybe if the numbers go down they will ease up. Nahhhh.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:18 pm 

Antis....Nazis.....All sound and act the same......It's what good for the Faderlund, the people, Heil! F'ing Nanny State Facists.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:35 am 

Yeah wut SC said... :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:01 am 

Kinky Friedman calls the Anti Smoker Cartel "Butt Nazis". When a Jew says you're a Nazi, you're a Nazi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:09 am 

My wife voted for Kinky. Very colorful character and has a good band. I went another way myself but I appreciated Kinky's personality.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:34 am 

We need to be realistic!
We are a drop in the bucket of smokers.
And there are new smokers, and return smokers all the time, so much change over, they don't miss us!
Quitting is easy, my husband does it regularly.
I even quit once, for almost an hour!
But, he quits for months and then starts again.

It isn't about getting folks to quit smoking, it is about getting someone else's hand in your pocket grabbing your wallet! And again, we are a small number in comparison, and several will grow it awhile and then go back to buying. Not too many die hard homegrowers in comparison to the numbers of smokers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:02 am 

I'll die before I buy. I have not bought a pack of cigarettes since I harvested.

It's worth the time and energy I put into it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:24 am 

I managed to drive about 8 miles down Florida 41 instead of 44 (yeah, got lost), anyway, there was a gas station I stopped at for directions that I swear came right out of Mayberry. Two pumps, little building, and a sign. On the sign it said "roll your own cigarettes, $1.30 per pack". Intriqued, I enquired of the middle aged lady who was sitting on a block outside the shop, what that meant. She got a look on her face, like she was embarrassed to explain it. She said they make cigarettes from tobacco. I pulled out my case and said "like these" and she relaxed a bit and said yes. She showed me the type they had (don't remember ever seeing it before in little 8 ounce looking bags). I showed my seed I was giving to Lee, some whole leaf, and even the pipe tobacco I was smoking.

It was interesting to see this type of thing spreading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:15 am 

If our POS parasite politicians think they are losing to much $ from home growers it wouldnt surprise me to see them put a limit on how much each of us can grow much like the amount of booze each person can brew for themselves each year. I know I now have two friends here that I'll be supplying with baccy seeds next year so they can grow their own also, now that they have seen me do it successfully. Next years crop will be overkill here just to start a personal supply in case they do.

My reason... to starve the beast that already takes to much from our labors in life and to have the best quality baccy rather than that stuff the regular companies adulterate with who knows what. I'll quit smoking when I quit breathing, until then screw the "butt Nazis".

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:22 am 

I have bought one, I was in town and ran out of smokes, it was terrible the price for just a pack of smokes! Didn't make that mistake again!

But, I do still routinely buy tobacco.

When I have time I cut some up, but, most of the time it is only a little bit, and I mix it with commercial.

Getting tobacco into case, and cutting it up takes forever! There must be a better way!

I like this year's tobacco. But, still not overly using it, just don't have time, maybe this winter?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:53 am 

I just had a pipe full of some I pile dried to color cure since we've been having such dry weather here, then let dry out completely and it wasnt bad at all. Got my first batch in the kiln and am really looking forward to smoking some of that. If you havent tried kiln curing some Ozark lady you might give it a shot, it's not very expensive to build a kiln to cure it faster.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:04 pm 

Hi all
S. C. I need to appolligise I guess . When you said that you stopped and saw that I was thinking north U.S 41 and you were talking south when you were coming back to our house. My hearing gets so bad somtimes I can't hear wife call for supper and that is bad. Yeah south U.S, 41 is pretty rural for about 30 miles then get closer to tampa and people take over. I call them people not sure on the civilized part. This is Fl. and this is the part they call nature coast. It just seems like some of the people are not natural.
Ozark I agree on out rageous prices. Daughter pays $51.00 plus for hers and wife can't stand them. My wife says that at the price we pay for our tobacco, the worst tasting is still 10 times better than buy ing any comercial type.
Doug we agree a kiln is cheap to build depending on how big or fancy you make it. Also it does speed up the ageing process. lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:16 pm 

hi all

I just got to thinking again about the woman S C talked to at gas station. It must have been getting close to floral city. And there was a woman down there got busted for pot. her boy friend was sitting on porch when sherrif stopped . Boy friend gets all excited and starts yelling I told her we would get in trouble. So sherrif looks around and finds 15 pot plants. He arrests both woman and boy friend after bail and couple weeks they finnally go to court . boy friend is saying it is her fault , so judge asks her whats going on she say we couldn't make the house payment so I thought I would sell a little of this to make payments. judge says how did you get started she said I ordered seeds over internet. Judge says that make sense . But It is against the law. So don't do it again. and dismissed case. Wonder if same woman and finding another way to make house payments :lol: Lee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:39 pm 

I haven't needed to color cure anything at all this year. I just wait until the stems turn brown to match the leaf, wash it off and pick it, dry it and bring inside to a box. They are all done.

But, to smoke it, I have to get it into case, or it shatters when I try to cut it up.
And cutting them takes forever.

Did anyone ever figure an easier way to cut it up?