How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Health Benefits of Tobacco Use
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:01 am 

hi
One last question then off for the cooking chores. finishing some Istarted at 6 this morning :lol: Is tobacco a plant ? Every thing I read about cancer, says caused by. try this one .
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101120/hl ... thchemical

Then think plant ==no additives!!!! JMO Lee have happy thanksgiving !!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:49 am 

Hi --

Thanks for the two links, lee. That naturalnews.com article author was all over the place. Starts out quoting doctors as saying that tobacco is a medicine used for over 300 years, true, then that huge numbers of them smoked, also true, then claims they were all lying for years because some researchers made a mouse smoke the equivalent of 3 cartons of cigs a day for 3 months and got lung cancer and most doctors called it bogus results.

THEN it ends up saying the pharmaceutical company doctors have no credibility either!

Your next article about how environmental pollutants are causing cancer decades after the chemicals have been banned from release into the environment is great too. No way to tell if the tobacco cancer results are being skewed by those effects either!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:18 pm 

hi

Bob if I understood right it was chemicals causing the cancer. not a virus or germ. So my thoughts were tobacco co's add chemicals. Home growers do not.well most don't. So if it is the chemicals .is it the chemical from thhe plant. or the added ons. If from the plant does that mean that burning leaves in fall is hazardess too. Camp fires etc. I think the add ons. more concentrated. Just thinking to many chemicals every where. Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:49 am 

Lee

I agree I have to use 4 chemicals growing a good crop . If not my odds of growing a good crop deminish greatly .

I use fertilizer ( food ) bug spray so the bugs dont harvest my crop , ridomil so desease doesn't ruin my crop amd MH so I donmt have to constantly pull suckers .

I guess I could go organic but it would sure cut down what I could grow and growing tobacco is all I'd have time to do so thats not possable .

But 300 chemicals after the farmer gets it past the danger of desease and bugs ?? Thats a lot of extra add on chemicals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:51 am 

hi all
well I have been using organics for many years,some good and some not. This last 2 years I tried tobacco . First year was fair for a first. Secound year was a disA$$ter for any year or any crop. I will try another SMALL crop this year , and this year I am going to try some comercial fertilizer :roll: Not planting a lot just couple in pots and may be around 75 in ground. I am not as worried about chems to grow as I am about the add ons. presservitives and flavors that they add. Any way will give it a shot again. I may try a few organics to see how they compare in the pots. 10 organics and 10 chems all in pots 75 chems in ground. I do have 5 pepper plants and 2 large tomatto plants still blooming and putting on more each week some of tomattos starting to turn color now :lol: :lol: :lol: Lee Frost last nite :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen: Lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:42 pm 

Virii can cause or set up the right preconditions for Cancer.

the HPV (human papilloma virus) is know to cause or be present in some cervical cancers in women. HPV was present in the non-cancerous growth found on my left vocal fold (near the vocal cord). I can assure you Virii can exist or contribute to the development of cancer. My non cancerous pollip was washed excessively by acid from the stomach, and something about this action caused the cancer(abnormal cell growth) in my vocal cords.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:10 am 

Hi --

SC Yankee. apparently acid reflux causes quite a few throat cancers. Acids are a mutagen and can causes cells to become cancerous.

The amount of research lacking in all these claims of tobacco-caused cancers is astounding and yet we see over and over the claims made. Chemical mutagens are all over the environment. But everyone who smokes who then gets cancer clearly got it from tobacco.

Yeah, right.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 am 

hi
I watched this on local news
http://topnews.us/content/229918-happin ... ng-smoking I found it interesting that study was of 236 people , and all were tring to quit smoking . those that did 1 out of 6 were happier for times. ( does that mean that 5 out of 6 were not happier) those that didn't were depressed at times . Gee Anything I tried and could not do made me slightly depressed at times to. try diet :lol: Mountain climbing on my 65 th birthday :evil:
Also how come they didn't ask those people that smoked ,and were not trying to quit how happy they were.
I don't smoke and I'm not happy,the way they try to force my wife to quit. So where do I fall in this fake test. Lee
next question ask how many are quiting because they don't like to smoke or are quiting because of the high taxes lee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:53 pm 

bob_kemp wrote:
Hi --

SC Yankee. apparently acid reflux causes quite a few throat cancers. Acids are a mutagen and can causes cells to become cancerous.

The amount of research lacking in all these claims of tobacco-caused cancers is astounding and yet we see over and over the claims made. Chemical mutagens are all over the environment. But everyone who smokes who then gets cancer clearly got it from tobacco.

Yeah, right.

Bob

Bob, you're absolutely right and a study that was published in Sweden last week might support what you just said. The study found an increase of 40% in lung cancer cases since 1995 despite their decline in smoking rates that began in the '70's and they're at a loss to figure out why.

http://www.unt.se/uppsala/lungcancer-okar-trots-minskad-rokning-1142333.aspx

The above link is in Swedish and we havn't been able to find a reference to the study in English yet, hence the Google translation below. I got this a few days ago from one of our European activists, which is one very good advantage of Forces going international. If it wasn't for him, we here in the USA might never had heard of this study.

If some of the words in the article text seem out of place, remember it's just a Google translation, but its good enough to understand what the article is saying.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lung cancer is increasing despite reduced smoking

Although smoking has decreased in society continues the number of cases of lung cancer will increase. Today fall ill each year over 40 percent more in lung cancer than 15 years ago. The increase is greatest among men, but also among men have lung cancer cases become more and more.

It shows a study in Uppsala, Sweden-Örebro health region, which today Tuesday reported at the national meeting in Gothenburg in medicine.

This sharp increase is very surprising. In particular, it is strange that the previous reduction of lung cancer among men now after many years lost and even turned into an increase. Yet smoking among men continued to fall, "says Associate Professor Gunnar Wagenius, chief physician at the academic hospital's cancer Clinic.

Rightward he together with researchers at Regional Onkologiskt Centre in Uppsala and academic hospital's lung and allergy clinic analyzed statistics from the regional registry for lung cancer.

in 1995, when the table was started, discovered 598 cases of lung cancer in the seven provincial government in Uppsala, Sweden-Örebro health region. Last year, the corresponding figure 845 lung cancer cases.

This means that the number of lung cancer cases since the mid-1990s has increased by a whopping 41%. Almost throughout this period, the growth has been constant from year to year, says Gunnar Wagenius.

Most have lung cancer increased among women. As a result, lung cancer is now a common disease among men as among women. 15 years ago, however, was only a third of patients with lung cancer in women.

This changed the gender distribution among lung cancer patients can largely be explained by changes in smoking behaviour in society.

For a generation ago, the percentage of smokers is significantly higher among males than among females. The reduction of smoking in society, as we have seen in recent decades, however, began in the past among men than among women, says Gunnar Wagenius.

That smoking is by far the main cause of lung cancer is now indisputable. It is also well known that lung cancer usually develops only after several decades of intensive smoking. Why do we say that the number of lung cancers today reflects the smoking behaviour of the population for a few decades ago.

Given that smoking among women continued to decline since the 1970s feel Gunnar Wagenius it is surprising that lung cancer cases among men stopped falling and even started to rise again.
It suggests that there is any new factors in addition to smoking which slowed down this fall. Which of these factors can be is so far very enigmatic, "he says.

At the same time it highlights he that there are some bright spots in the otherwise bleak statistics.

Survival for lung cancer patients is much better today than they were 15 years ago. More patients treated with cytotoxins now than then, is probably an important explanation for the improved forecast, says Gunnar Wagenius.

"Lung cancer again increases among men suggest that there is someone or some new elements apart from smoking brakes a decline. Which of these factors can be is so far very enigmatic. "

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:24 am 

Hi --

Thanks for that Swede study Jim, very informaive!

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:10 pm 

You know I lived in Ill from the time I was 6 years old untill I was 15 years old then we moved back to Tenn . While living in Ill for that 9 years I never knew one person with cancer .

Of course I was a kid and never went looking for cancer patients but you just never heard " daddy is dyin of Cancer , moma died last year of cancer " . Nothing can I recall about cancer period .

After moving to Tenn just 30 miles from Oak Ridge national labatory everyone and their brother has cancer . I'm serious cancer is so bad here you hear about people all the time having cancer . The number of people thats died here from cancer ( people I known personaly ) is absolutly stagering . The number is to numerious to count on all my fingers and toes . If I used my own , my wifes and all my childrens didgets I couldn't count all the people I have personaly known thats died of cancer here in the last 40 years .

btw Oak Ridge is the man made city the H bomb was made in . What does these facts tell you about cancer ? Well it tells me cancer is related to the inviroment you live in . Happen to live near enough chemicals or other man made garbage and your chances of cancer increases sharply .

I tend to agree that smoking hurts us . It causes things like COPD ( just opinion ) thats killing my father right now . But not cancer I see no corrolation between smoking and cancer . I knew plenty of smokers in Ill , just never knew any smokers with cancer . In fact I never even heard of people with cancer while spending 9 years in Ill .

I see convincing amounts of evidence that tells me people living near neucular facilities are very likley to get cancer . Smoking sure it's harmfull but is smoking the cause of cancer ?? BS I'll never buy that one .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:20 pm 

hi
this one talks of heart attacks and secound hand smoke. scottland bans on public smoking seems to not have helped like they first reported.http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/ ... icle/5988/

lee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:39 pm 

hi all
After reading the above link again I remembered reading about some thing in sweden. i then went up and read jims post again. Looks like it might be contradiction . But maybe just my age showing again :lol: I copyied a little of this so can read here too The artice was on e cigarettes that I was reading

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/ ... icle/9980/

For the vaping community, prohibition would mean switching back to analogue, with all the health hazards that would entail. As a public health strategy, this seems wilfully perverse, but it is not without precedent. Vapers who expect any ban on e-cigs to be short and sweet should look at the curious case of snus, the smokeless tobacco product that has been banned in the European Union thanks to anti-smoking campaigners inspiring a brief moral panic in the 1980s.

Skoal Bandits were pouches of moist snuff designed to ensnare millions of children into a life of nicotine addiction, or so thought Action on Smoking and Health in 1985. Believing them to cause oral cancer, ASH spearheaded a campaign against the infernal Bandits, which ultimately led the European Commission to ban the sale of moist snuff in 1992.

This arbitrary prohibition created difficulties when Sweden prepared to join the EU two years later. Having used pouches of moist snuff – known there as snus – for 200 years, the Swedes did not relish mass abstinence. Negotiating an opt-out became something of a deal breaker. The EU complied and for the past 15 years Sweden has been the only EU country allowed to sell snus. This has been a boon for the Swedes and a tragedy for everyone else, since the theory that moist snuff causes oral cancer has been comprehensively debunked, while a large body of evidence shows that snus is an extremely effective substitute for cigarettes. Sweden now enjoys the lowest smoking rate and the lowest lung cancer rate in Europe, especially in its northern regions where snus consumption is at its highest.

And yet the EU’s ban on snus remains in place; a grand bureaucratic folly which, according to one study, may be costing the EU 200,000 lives a year (see European Journal of Epidemiology 19). The European Commission plans to review the situation next year but the pharmaceutical industry is lobbying hard to keep the ban in place. It is the very fact that snus and e-cigarettes are designed for pleasure rather than treatment which, paradoxically, make them such good substitutes for cigarettes amongst people who do not see smoking as a disease nor themselves as patients.

Anti-smoking fundamentalists seem suspicious of anything that mimics the act of smoking (electro-fag) or is produced by the tobacco industry (snus). Some worry that such products act as a gateway to smoking, despite evidence from Sweden showing snus to be a way out of smoking. Others, like Banzhaf, complain that e-cigs and snus contain an addictive drug and could be used by smokers to ‘get around’ smoking bans. It sometimes seems as if the whole aim of tobacco

:roll: Lee looks like missed bottom line

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:55 pm 

Lonnie, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to blame Oak Ridge for the increase in cancer cases in your area. Cancer is an epidemic and has been on the rise everywhere. When you lived in Illinois, you lived right across the river from the Dresden nuclear power plant, much closer than you now live from Oak Ridge. But you lived there at a time when cancer wasn't nearly as prevalent as it is now. If you lived here in this area now, you would know plenty of people who died from cancer, just like I do. And guess what the people around here are blaming all of our cancer deaths on... our nuclear power plants, of course (we have 2 now).

I used to work in high radiation areas at the Dresden plant a lot during the outages and I don't have enough digits on my fingers and toes to count the number of times I got crapped up and sent the monitors screaming. But my over dosages were nothing compared to the doses from the A-bombs that took the Hiroshimans and Nagasakians to get cancer. Sure, I suppose its possible for radiation leaks from nukes to cause cancer outside or inside the plants, but with the regulation from the NRC and the vigilance of plant workers themselves, its very highly unlikely.

The fact is we still don't know exactly how cancer forms, which means we sure as hell don't know how an alleged carcinogen causes the process to begin. We do know that massive doses of certain substances can cause tumors in rats, and we know that statistical studies have show a correlation between exposure to certain substances and an increased risk of cancer. We also know that corruption in public health is increasing even faster than cancer, and a lot of research money has been wasted because of it. What a shame that so many good people have to die prematurely because that corruption.

So for now, the best way to avoid cancer is to stay healthy. Be happy, eat some healthy foods every now and then, exercise regulary, and smoke the good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:41 pm 

Lee, that Christopher Snowden article you posted about e-cigs is a good one. However, I'm surprised that he missed an important point in that the e-cigs controversy has really got the anti-smoking crowd divided between the cessation purists who believe that e-cigs and snus are safe smoking alternatives which should remain legal, and the crooks who live off Big Pharma (aka Big Nicotine Patches) funding who are losing a large share of the smoking alternative market as long as e-cigs and snus remain legal.

As for me, I'm staying out of the market because I'm way more addicted to smoke than the nicotine or anything else that's in it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next