How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Health Benefits of Tobacco Use
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:37 am 

Hi,

I searched the forums for this topic and found lots of mention of heath benefits of tobacco, but nowhere were they all collected into a list.

I know that tobacco decreases my appetite and keeps my weight down. How much is my lifespan increased by having lower weight than it is decreased by not taking diet pills or being obese? Is it possible that using tobacco will help me live longer in the final summation of the benefits vs detriments of body weight?

I know that using tobacco calms me down. When I have anxiety over something, I will frequently take a smoke break, consider the source of the conflict, mellow out and be ready to continue without being nervous. How much better is my quality of life because I have the calming effects of tobacco to soothe me? Would I be using anti-anxiety drugs otherwise to gain the same effects? How much would they reduce my lifespan and quality of life?

I'd like other members to add known effects of tobacco use here and try to compare them with the damages done to their health or quality of life without tobacco.

Are there any other known benefits to tobacco use I haven't thought about? Some say tobacco users have fewer colds and don't catch the flu as much. Is this documented anywhere?

Bob

Post subject: Re: Health Benefits of Tobacco Use
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 am 

As a child I suffered from severe pollen related allergies. As an adult and smoker these allergies are nearly non-existent... until I quit smoking. When spring comes and the air is full of grass pollen, if I'm not smoking life becomes unbearable. I have to wonder if there is something in tobacco that desensitizes me to the pollen.

[edit] When I am a smoker, the spring pollen causes a couple days when I sneeze, especially when cutting the lawn, but nothing like the daily sneezing, congestion, tickle at the back of the roof of my mouth, and red eyes I suffer from if I'm not smoking. [/edit]

Last edited by tekwyzrd on Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:59 am 

I had a friend who was a registered nurse. She went to medical school. She smoked, her excuse was it prevents colds, flu, pneumonias etc. that are caused by bacteria and viruses.

I just got an email, it said to prevent swine flu, wash your hands, keep hands away from your face, blow your nose alot, and gargle with salt water. It went on to say that swine flu can only enter your body through your nose and mouth.

My nurse friend maintains that cigarette smoke kills the bacteria, viruses, etc, that enter your body through your mouth and nasal passages, she always reminded me, inhale through mouth exhale through your nose.
So..prevent swine flu, wash hands, blow nose alot, gargle with salt water, inhale tobacco through your mouth and exhale through your nose... you got it.

Not documented, but look around you, how much more often are non-smokers sick?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:42 am 

Hi --

Severe allergy symptoms frequently occur when you haven't been exposed to the allergen for a long time then are suddenly exposed. Then you have the strong reaction. After that strong response has subsided, the allergen is still in the environment, but your body has "won" the war and doesn't find it needful to overreact.

My best example is my herd of dogs and cats. I have a serious poison ivy allergy. When I lived in the city and only went to the country occasionally, I would get serious outbreaks, debilitating cases of poison ivy. After one such attack, usually right at the start of spring, subsequent exposures would only give me mild symptoms.

Now that I live out in the country, my dogs and cats are always rubbing on the poison ivy and I'm constantly being touched by it even in the Winter. My body never gets a chance to recover and "forget" the poison ivy and never over-reacts now.

tekwyzrd, I would suggest that your constant exposure to tobacco smoke (and whatever other field things might be in it, including pollens, dust, etc) keeps your body from becoming desensitized to the point where exposure to other organic tiny particles doesn't cause you to react so strong.

I would put this in the category of a very interesting benefit of tobacco use.

Bob

edited because I realized I never finished the poison ivy thought! lol...left out the bit about the animals exposing me all year....just the most important part!.....bk

Last edited by bob_kemp on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 pm 

When I don't smoke my pollen sensitivity is severe from april through august. A good example of the benefit is this year. I had one day in may that I sneezed a lot while cutting the lawn. For a good portion of the first half of this year my primary smoke was my home grown tobacco from my 2007 crop.

In the past I had a severe allergy to poison ivy, so bad that I was normally given a hydrocortisone injection, prednisone tablets (countdown dosing) and the last few times I sought medical attention I was also given an antihistamine that contained epinephrine and digitalis. The last three years something odd happened. I have been exposed to it, accidentally making contact, but instead of the normal massive rash I got a few small spots that were gone in a few days.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:49 am 

bob_kemp wrote:
Hi --

Severe allergy symptoms frequently occur when you haven't been exposed to the allergen for a long time then are suddenly exposed... I have a serious poison ivy allergy. ...Now that I live out in the country, my dogs and cats are always rubbing on the poison ivy and I'm constantly being touched by it even in the Winter. My body never gets a chance to recover and "forget" the poison ivy and never over-reacts now.

This explains a lot. I was never allergic to poison ivy or poison oak as a child. At around 32 I hand cleared poison ivy from a tree base. I thought I was going to die. I received two cortizone shots and learned never to use the bathroom before washing my hands!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:18 am 

Ozark lady wrote:
It went on to say that swine flu can only enter your body through your nose and mouth.

According to the flu paranoid people, this is false. The virus can also enter thru your eyes, which is why they scoff at people who think they can protect themselves with a mask. You'd need goggles too, tight one at that.

I did read somewhere that tobacco (or maybe nicotine) can help easy symptoms or prevent catching it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:18 am 

Shihan wrote:
This explains a lot. I was never allergic to poison ivy or poison oak as a child. At around 32 I hand cleared poison ivy from a tree base. I thought I was going to die. I received two cortizone shots and learned never to use the bathroom before washing my hands!

Been there. The problem with poison ivy is the oil that causes the reaction, urushiol, bonds to the skin so after about 10 minutes washing with soap won't remove it. Products like tecnu can prevent the urushiol from bonding with the skin and remove it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:08 am 

You are correct. Recently I went for my annual doctors visit. My allergies were rampant..tobacco use has not helped me a bit. But, she said, that ragweed pollen was entering through my tear ducts, and not my nose or mouth, no I was not wearing a mask. Hence, the red, itchy eyes.
I was only quoting the email. But, seriously, if we can limit the ways to get it, any helps are better than none. And I would rather try to prevent it, naturally, than get a shot.

I got poison ivy once, as a child, I sat down in it, I was covered waist to knees. Good news, I have never had it since then. So, that terrible bout with poison ivy, seems to have made me immune. I pull it all the time, because my hubby can get poison ivy without even seeing any. He got poison ivy in the dead of winter in Minot North Dakota, and we hadn't seen anything but snow piles in months! The doctor decided it must have been in wood smoke that someone in town burned and the smoke itself got him.

I break out from cedar trees. It looks and acts identical to poison ivy, but it only happens with cedar trees, and Pine-sol... I bet that has cedar oil in it. Cedar chests, and chips make me sneeze like crazy. But, actual growing cedar trees are instant "poison ivy" type rash. So, I remove all poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac, and hubby removes all cedar trees. Funny, pine trees don't bother me. Our children are immune to both poison ivy and cedar.. so you can inherit immunity, or sensitivity.

When I was a child, if you got stung, it was instant tobacco medicine. They would look for someone with chew or snuff, if no one present used those, then a cigarette was broken and wetted and applied. They also did this with rashes. It seemed to stop the pain, until you could get home and properly cleanse and doctor it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:51 am 

As I understand it, if an object comes in contact with poison ivy, the oil can remain active and cause a reaction for two years after contact. This applies to trees, bushes, clothing, even dead poison ivy roots and stalks.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:57 pm 
I really wouder if all this tobacco is really all that bad are is it the chemicals thats put in the tobacco.

Long ago say back in the 1800..they didnt put additive in tobacco.folks smoke like trains all there lives and they live to be in there 100.they didnt have menthol in fact most folk either smoke a pipe are cigars.

Now here we are in the 2009s and the health nut make boooo.cuase they sit around some one that smokes,and make the lieing claims that second hand smoke kill B***U***L***L***...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:56 pm 

baccaman wrote:
I really wouder if all this tobacco is really all that bad are is it the chemicals thats put in the tobacco.

Long ago say back in the 1800..they didnt put additive in tobacco.folks smoke like trains all there lives and they live to be in there 100.they didnt have menthol in fact most folk either smoke a pipe are cigars.

Now here we are in the 2009s and the health nut make boooo.cuase they sit around some one that smokes,and make the lieing claims that second hand smoke kill B***U***L***L***...

My grandmother will be 90 years old in a couple weeks. She smoked from the age of 21 until she had a relatively minor stroke last june. In the nearly 68 years as a smoker, usually around a pack a day, she never suffered any ill effects. Her stroke was probably due to her enlarged heart caused by rheumatic fever following scarlet fever in childhood or possibly a dvt from spending too much time sitting and watching television.

It's interesting that after the stroke and quitting smoking she had a rapid onset of symptoms of a type of dementia possibly related to alzheimer's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:43 pm 

I don't think breathing any kind of smoke habitually is good for you. However, all the studies have been done with cigs which had additives so the data doesn't really show what the effects of tobacco alone are on the human body. Surely smoking licorice, cocoa etc. creates chems that are not natural to tobacco, who knows what those chems add to the mix.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:07 pm 

Hi -

The issue I'd like to have resolved is whether the benefits of using tobacco outweigh the detriments.

For instance, if using tobacco products reduces your lifespan on average by 5 years (say), but being overweight reduces it by 10 years, you could live 5 years longer if you use tobacco than if you are fat.

Or if the anti-anxiety drugs reduce your lifespan by 7 years (or being anxious and having constant high blood pressure) and being calmer using tobacco increases it by 10 years then decreases it by 5 years because of detrimental effects of tobacco, you could live 2 years longer by using tobacco than if you are anxious! (if my math is correct)

It's the sum of the effects when you use tobacco and not use tobacco and are forced to use diet pills or anti-anxiety drugs or be ill because of anxiety, which could even reduce your lifespan more than the tobacco! Or have more flu or colds.

These things don't occur in isolation. There are secondary and even tertiary effects that should be considered before we decide that one behavior is better or worse than another.

If your quality of life is better using tobacco, then how much is that worth in reduction of total lifespan? I see medical personnel making these kinds of decisions all the time. Cancer patients being given large quantities of opiates which will reduce their remaining lifespan but make the rest of their lives much higher quality. Compare this with a lifetime of higher quality of life using tobacco. What's that worth in overall reduction of lifespan?

Not that it's anyone's business but our own anyhow.

Bob

ps. this issue pisses me off because of the simplistic statements by media that smoking kills X number of people a year, when not one cause of death on a certificate says "smoking"....bk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:24 pm 

mmmmm opiates

(homer reference...if you don't get it... better get the whole (the simpsons)series on dvd)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next