How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Health Benefits of Tobacco Use
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:06 am 

Hi

well this is how I get side tracked. was looking for some thing on flue curring and got to this.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... =pmcentrez they are talking about the sugars in tobacco. was looking for something else and saw it. In the abstract of this is
Because the curing of tobacco takes place under conditions that could lead to the formation of glycation products, we examined whether tobacco and tobacco smoke could generate these reactive species that would increase AGE formation in vivo. Our findings show that reactive glycation products are present in aqueous extracts of tobacco and in tobacco smoke in a form that can rapidly react with proteins to form AGEs.
look at this glycation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycation

then think sugars and carbohydrates (that turn into sugars) all types . bottom of article lists problems and/or diseases conected with this. listed in it is heart, cancer, brain, nerves, ears, eyes, pancreas, blood vessels etc. sure sounds as bad or worse than tobacco. happened to see it when saw that one of the things with curring tobacco led to high sugars,which cause glycation. so wanted to know what it is duh upper portion telling that food companys been adding this to food for 50+ years. sugar s and high fructose. Mom always said stay away from sugars.
Naturaly that led to this
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11514102
Like the whole phase CS, the oxidative damage of proteins caused by the tar phase CS, as evidenced by the formation of protein carbonyl and bityrosine as well as loss of tryptophan residues and thiol groups, is also almost completely prevented by ascorbic acid ( vitiamen C) and only partially by glutathione. Other antioxidants, including superoxide dismutase, catalase, vitamin E, beta-carotene and mannitol are ineffective. This again leads us to suggest that adequate intake of vitamin C may help smokers to evade the CS-induced degenerative diseases associated with oxidative damage. The revelation of the acute toxicity of the tar phase with respect to CS-induced oxidative damage also urges the necessity of trapping it more effectively by suitable cigarette filters to reduce the health damage caused to smokers
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10569639
Ascorbate (100 microM) almost completely prevents cigarette smoke-induced protein oxidation and thereby protects the microsomes from subsequent proteolytic degradation. Glutathione is partially effective, but other antioxidants including superoxide dismutase, catalase, vitamin E, probucol, beta-carotene, mannitol, thiourea, and histidine are ineffective. The gas phase cigarette smoke contains unstable reactive oxygen species such as superoxide (O2*-) and hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) that can cause substantial oxidation of pure protein like albumin but is unable to produce significant oxidative damage of microsomal proteins. Gas phase cigarette smoke-induced albumin oxidation is not only inhibited by ascorbate and glutathione but also by superoxide dismutase, catalase and mannitol.
one more http://livingto150.com/aging-and-longevity-glycation/ from this I learn
How Can We Reduce Glycation?
Glycation cannot be stopped completely; neither can it be reversed, currently. However, it can be reduced considerably by making changes in lifestyle and diet.

There are two main causes of glycation;

1.High blood glucose level, and
2.Eating foods cooked at high temperatures – over 250°F (110°C, oven gas mark 1½)
1. High Blood Glucose
Continually high blood glucose promotes glycation, as well as other aging processes and degenerative diseases. If glycation is to be reduced, then so must the intake of sugar from the diet

2. Food Cooked At High Temperature
High temperature cooking produces glycation which, when eaten, causes glycation in our own tissues.

Food cooked at a temperature above 250°F promotes glycation. Do not barbecue, fry, grill, roast, [or broil]. Eat plenty of raw food in salads, and use slow cooking, steaming, simmering and stewing to prepare food.

Ideally, make sure all the food you eat is prepared in this way. Practically, only eat foods cooked at high temperatures on rare occasions, such as when visiting friends. So after all of this I understand that sugars are bad for me. And eating high temp cooked foods are too.
Smoking comes in because of the high temps the tobacco burns at when inhaling/puffing. But vitiaman C stops the part on smoking. hope it works on cooked foods too cause I don't want to stop eating > Lee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:30 am 

Hi --

Very interesting report lee! I take 1000 mg of Vit. C a day and have always loved fresh veggies and citrus. I just bought 10 lbs of grapefruit and eat one a day now. I have always taken Vit. C since Dr. Linus Pauling (Pauley?) compared how much Vit. C other primates eat and suggested we consume up to 3-4 grams a day as human primates.

I wonder what the incidence of cancer is in other primates?

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 am 

Bob,

"I wonder what the incidence of cancer is in other primates?"

Depends on ---- if they smoke Filtered or non filtered :lol: :lol: :wink:

-J.C.-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:36 am 

Hi
Doctors say I should not have grapefruit, because of the meds I take. Can cause a burning flash sensation in face. We do have a wonderful hamlin orange tree. Still has over 300 oranges on it. Hamlin has the highest rating for Vit. C of any orange . We also have 2 honeybells or /tangalos. these are a cross between orange and grapefruit. They get bigger than the average orange even large than california navels. They are so juicy that we call them messy oj's almost impossible to eat with out mess. this tree has couple hundred on the one and few on newer one . So nothing unforseen I wil eat about 6 oranges a day till mid march may be later god willing. I eat one when go down to green house and one on way back. I make atleast three trips aday . Unless raining then just one. wife eats one a day . son eats one if someone brings it to him. :roll:. about mid july the velincia oranges will become ripe and we eat on them for about a month.. Velencia oranges will put on new in march and when they get ripe in a year + later in june or july. so for a couple months we have both green and ripe oranges of same size on tree at same time.
My three grape fruit trees will have about 250 this year. I give them to any one that will pick them. most only want a couple . I have 2 comkuat trees that i really like too. eat all of them rinds center fruit and some of seeds . rinds are the sweetist parts. little bigger than a cherry. I manage to eat 6-7 a day till gone couple of months. I LOVE GOING TO GRENHOUSE .
Lee Tangerenes and limes grow but not many fruit. Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:07 pm 

This is a wonderful read, full of citations...

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/38 ... d-for-you/

Basically forces you into admitting you do as your told and don't think on your own, or that tobacco use is at the very least (mostly) harmless, or even very healthy. Read the whole thread if you have time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:47 pm 

hi
I read about this some time ago. I think? Maybe I only think I read about this? Or did I think that I had read about it earlier? Alshimers. Memerory loss . dementia Old age. Nicotine. come on mind don't get lost again.http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.as ... 8275011028. geez I hate it when I look for things , that I know I have just don't know where. Did I eat breakfast today or was it Yesterday? ok time for supper. I think Lee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:02 pm 

I did a bit of searching not too long ago on the benefits of tobacco. I found some reports that said that the nicotine in the tobacco helps slow the onset of alzhiemer's, helps with adhd, and helps with your memory. Basically it just helps your brain cells do better all around. I'll have to find at least one of the studies and post a link.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:08 am 

1.Mosquito's! (cholera, jungle fever, rocky mt...);)
And cigarettes are a safe alternative to chainsaw exhaust(also good mosquito protection).
2. Always having a lighter in your pocket just in case a survival scenario!
3. A car windshield that diffuses sunlight, thus better utilization of sun glasses.
4. In agriculture, the smoke from a cigarette will show which way the wind is blowing so you can be sure not to drift harmful chemicals when spraying orchard.
5. One good hard hit can light up a dark room enough to reduce the possibility of tripping over some one/thing.

We should be getting reduced insurance rates!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:31 am 

It is confusing when people pack in smoking and always become ill, seriously ill or just die. That quiting Game doesn,t always work and can lead a perfectly healthy smoker to an early grave. Lifes a gamble , death isn,t :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:32 am 

hi

This is interesting . 5 Things that smoking is good for in health.
2 of them are heart related. The last is about generic name for Plavix the anti cloting meds that most heart patients take after a stent placement . I took it after 2 different stents . havent taken it for over a year again.
http://www.livescience.com/15115-5-heal ... sease.html
It always makes me wonder what med science realy knows?
Lee

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:51 pm 

Lonnie_in_Tenn wrote:
This is just my 2 cents about all this .

I smoke cigerettes for one reason . I've smoked them for 38 years and I'm addicted and to weak minded to quite to save my own life lol . I need no excuses for smoking other than I dislike the monkey on my back when I do not smoke.

However my weakness is my choise and not someones else choise to save me . If they smarter great for them but leave me and my choise be I hurt no one but myself with them . But is this my choise ??

Bob

You loose weight by pushing away from the table and eating healthy food in moderation . You have better lung capasity by doing exercise . You feel better in general by exercising also . Your anxiety is most likley caused by your nicotine monkey pounding on your back so yes a smoke will calm you .

Bob it's ok to smoke if thats your choise you do not need an excuse to smoke . However I doubt you smoke because it's your choise . You most likley smoke because the tax revenue was worth more to our government than your health so they let big tobacco produce a killing addicting product and never held them liable for the sickness and deaths they caused .

To our government it's nothing but a ballancing game . Basically this is their concern . How long can these stupid sob's smoke this crapp and still be an effective part of the labor force . We smoke they make money we work and they make more money . Finally we die and they save money .

I seriously doubt any of us smoking if we could stop without the effects of withdrawl . I seriously doubt any of us getting pleasure from slowly sucking the life from our own body . Were mearly feeding our nicotine monkey and mastake this feel good situation as being pleasure from smoking .

And this is a well trained monkey thats good at his job . Slowly killing us but not so fast we can't spend 50 years in the work force making the government and big tobacco rich . Greese to keep the wheels turning is all we are .

Yea the truth can be a bit-- huh , it can all be summed up in one word , slaves .

The Truth is right here. So listen.

I have smoked occasionally (anywhere from one cig or cigar every few days to one or two cigs a day) for 10 years. The problem with smoking is that many people get pulled in by that "monkey on their back". Few know how to control it, but you, poor soul, fail to realize that tobacco itself is not as addictive as you say. What makes commercial, man-made tobacco so addictive is mostly all those damned chemicals they put in them. Yes, nicotine is a drug, which means two things: It may be addictive if misused (or addictive anyway if addiction is in your genes, some people are prone to being addicted to drugs and alcohol more easily), and it has its effects. I think most of the effects have already been explained in this topic.

A smoke will calm you because nicotine has calming effects. It's that simple. I have ADHD. I've had it all my life. I find that smoking calms me and helps me focus, as compared to the medicine prescribed to me, which works by burning up my excess energy. Said medicine makes me feel like sh!t and really doesn't help me focus at all.

It has been shown that smokers weigh less than non-smokers. In fact, it's quite obvious. Smoking reduces your appetite. Exercise is good for your overall physical well-being. Personally, I find that exercise puts me in a better mood and I have more energy the rest of the day. Smoking is good for your peace of mind. Everything in moderation.

The government only cares about smoking because they get HUGE amounts of money from it. But may I remind you that this site is dedicated to growing tobacco yourself to avoid the terrible chemicals and avoid paying a ton of money for it.

Call it what you want, but as Bob Kemp has mentioned several times, tobacco use in moderation does improve your overall quality of life. Inhaling any kind of smoke habitually can't be good for you, but tobacco smoke does make your quality of life better.

You can't try to convict an entire population of smokers for something YOU yourself are guilty of. That's called hypocracy. Contrary to popular belief, everyone is not as weak-willed and narrow-minded as some people. We are not slaves. You, sir, are a small step away from sounding exactly like the antis that everyone here hates.

The Truth

DISCLAIMER: if you are offended by anything I may have said, eat me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9