How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tried a tobacco chiffonade yesterday...
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:34 pm 

Was practicing knife cuts yesterday making dinner. Then it dawned on me... what if I tried a chiffonade on some baccy?
Here are the results:

Not too bad if I do say so myself. Next time I'll roll along the short edge for some shorter ribbons and focus on even thinner strips. I think I'm on to something...
The tighter I rolled the tobacco the more luck I had getting the ribbons nice and narrow. And I did 4 leaves at a time. Not that slow of a process either.

Post subject: Re: Tried a tobacco chiffonade yesterday...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:17 pm 

nice JAK that's what I was thinking about doing. My test grow this year failed big time, guess there is always next year for me.. JAK isn't that like escudo or PS LBF. seams to me that's the way they make those coins. Maybe put some different strains together like that and make you own blend.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:37 pm 

Cobs, I think this is a great way to make a quick blend of home grown baccy. I think I might use this method again. It's the best I've been able to do at home. My tobacco grinder makes a nice cigarette shreddy-chop kinda cut which is fine for ciggies but ends up to dense for pipe tobacco.

Also, coins are essentially made the same way but with MUCH more pressure. I just lightly rolled up a few leaves. When I sliced it, it unrolled right away. Coins are made by twisting together a lot of tobacco under a lot of pressure. They twist up the tobacco then add LOADS of pressure to the outside with rope or some other method. RC posted a video of an Older Fella using the rope method. Pretty interesting watch. It's on yub tub somewheres if you wanna search it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:54 pm 

Just a thought.. I was watching some cigar rollers and the would put them in a form and then cut off the ends. Maybe there is a way to do that and move the cigar out of the form a little at a time to get the exact size ribbons of tobacco you want. I don't know maybe some kind of clamp and a push rod of some kind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:25 pm 

Yeah that's not a bad idea. Like like a push pop with a blade for chopping. That's not too dissimilar from the big ol' antique tobacco choppers you can find around antique stores. Except with a guide it may be a bit easier... I've also been thinking of making coins by just cramming tobacco into a PVC pipe and slicing it when it comes out the other side... all things I'll take a swing at once my baccy is color cured and dried a bit.