How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A question on the shredder dilema
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:05 pm 

I'll be bringing in the rest of this years crop this week as we can't get away much longer without a heavy frost. I have some of this years crop in the kiln and a lot of last years still hanging. A lot to be shredded and the one thing i really don't like about this tobacco growing is the shredding. I've tried the paper shredders, salad shooters and all kinds of choppers/blenders picked up at garage sales, charity stores etc. and still don't like the powdery and flaky results.
I looked at all the suggestions on here and like Tea's (My tobacco cutter) reel mower idea best, probably because I have an old one laying up in the barn.
I've been thinking of something simpler yet and there's been some discussion on here concerning the safety issues of using of an electric hand planer. I've been using them for a lot of years and still have all my fingers, so am not concerned with the safety issue.
My question is; how about freezing a fairly wet brick and then planing it? I know many people store baccy in the freezer, so would freezing cured leaf affect the quality? Freezing the brick should make it easy to handle and plane just like a block of wood and you can get about any width cut you want by varying the depth and speed of cut. Also, I've never used and only seen pictures of them, but would an ice shaver do anything on frozen baccy?
Who knows, maybe we can freeze up a real long brick and run it through a thickness planer!!!

Post subject: Re: A question on the shredder dilema
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:30 am 

I would just get a powermatic shredder. That power planer may work but the powermatic works just right and is designed to shred tobacco. just put the leaves in and it does the perfect shred.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:02 am 

I would think that ice would be pretty hard on your planer blades. The powermatic is the way to go. Yeah, it's going to cost you almost $300.00 but a lot of us already spent that much on pasta makers and various other shredders that just did not hold up. the powermatic will shred faster than you can feed it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 pm 

Has anyone tried a wood jointer? I have a 6" jointer in my shop but I don't have a tobacco brick to try on it. You could use a push stick to keep your fingers out of it and a feather board to hold it down. My first season is coming up. If someone gives it a try let me know please.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:14 am 

Right now I use a pasta maker to shred my tobacco, but I am planing on getting a powermatic shredder. I have read nothing but
good things about them.

bw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:26 pm 

AK, I think jack cole tried his joiner a couple years back... He said it was spinning too quick.
maybe if you put a real big sheave on it to slow it down???

I've got a nemco shredder for lettuce that was excessed from a subway shop... but I gotta weld the main hub that holds the blades. I guess the subway kids broke a lot of em!

The BEST shredder I have seen, ANYWHERE, was a reel type lawnmower a fellow here rigged with a 1/2hp electric motor.
His shred was nice as any I have seen.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:40 am 

You can make bricks without freezing. I use the process as part of my operation.

My molds and method are pictured in my photos in the gallery, page 2 under my name.

I get the leaves into high case, tear off the larger (<1/8") stems, then stuff into the molds as tight as I can. I usually add additional water sprayed on as I fill. Then I press the bejasus out of it - 5 heavy clamps overnight. Probably in the range of 60 psi. Juice usually runs out while pressing.

The brick (+/- 1/2 lb) comes out like the old plugs of chewing tobacco - dark, solid. If the juice doesn't run out, the resultant brick will be lighter in colour, and won't hold together as well.