How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My cuthof shredder review
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:44 am 

Processing your own tobacco can be a lot of fun but it can also be very frustrating. My first attempt to shred was with a pasta machine, which did the job but sometimes the strands didn't separate properly, the machine would get jamed easily and everything had to be double processed. After about 4-5lbs of tobacco the machine started to decline in its ability to do a decent job. It was at this point that I switched over to forming bricks and processing it by hand, with a knife. This was, surprisingly, a step up in the right direction. The only problem was it took me about an hour to do enough for a week or 10 days and my hands would be incredibly sore when finished. Enter the cuthof! I knew of this things existance for sometime. I had read both positive and negative reviews from customers of the cuthof. I took a risk and ordered the thing which arrived late last week. In my opinion, the machine is quite effective and is a big time saver. What used to take me an hour to produce inconsistant results and end up with sore hands took me about 10 minutes and only a slightly sore forearm muscles. The cut can be very fine up to just fine. If your not familiar with the cuthof it is basically a drum rotated by a hand crank with a brick tobacco hopper above it. On the spinning drum is an extermely fine blade that run diagonally across the drum. In this way one crank will take one "slice" off your brick. It does the job better than any other device I have used and came with a free extra blade. I'll try my hand at sharpening the existing one first. Quality wise no complaints so far. The unit is mostly plastic, but seems to be quite durable. The crank is metal, bushings are nylon and there are metal reenforcers where there needs to be. The unit is assembled in a very simple manner and comes apart for easy cleaning, which you need to do between each brick. There are a total of about 15 parts and all are replacable. The unit includes a press for forming the bricks to the correct dimensions. Their customer support team so far seem to be great. I'll post some pics and videos after the next time I process a batch. I've only owed this for a few days but so far so good. I wouldn't put it up to production type use, but for personal cigarette tobacco I think its one of the better options out there.

Post subject: Re: My cuthof shredder review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:35 pm 

Nice review, Johnny!
Got a pic of it?
What did you have to spring for it?
Tnx!
rc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:47 am 

Johnny, Please give another review in a few months. It'll be interesting to see how well this holds up.

Randy B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:09 pm 

Hello all,

I've now been using this unit for about 4 or 5 months. I've had to replace the blades once and am working on a method to sharpen them. You can also order new blades from the manufacturer. I'm still quite happy with the machine but I will admit it might not be the best choice for everyone. For example, the drum that holds the blades has small tabs that prevent that blade from moving back too far. The drum being plastic one of these tabs wore away. To fix this I drilled a small hole were the tab was and inserted an extremely small bolt - seems to be working better than the original design. When it happens to the other blade I'll do the same. If your not somewhat handy and able to improvise you may want to consider something else.

The blades stay quite sharp for about 4-5 bricks (probably about 2 pounds of tobacco if I had to guess). Its easy to maintain and I don't regret the decision to purchase. The unit was about 150 CAD taxes / shipping in. I suspect it should last for a few years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm 

Pics please!!