How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Has pounds of dried pieces how to separate mid-rib from leaf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:41 am 

Hi --

I have many pounds of pieces of leaves, most still attached to fragments of mid-ribs, dried and aged around 1 year or so and ready to smoke.

My question is this - how do I separate the big mid-rib chunks from all these pieces so I can shred and smoke them? Sure, I could put them in a pillowcase, beat the hell outta them, pour into a tub and "winnow" out the leaf parts leaving the big chunks like removing seeds from chaff in crops out of the garden. That's about the best method I've been able to think which would work. I'll probably then make a brick of the leaves and shred them by hand as usual and I think that'll work. Or I may simply put into a food processor and reduce the leaves to smaller flakes that will inject ok.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Bob

Post subject: Re: Has pounds of dried pieces how to separate mid-rib from leaf
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:06 am 

Gosh, good to see you back in the forum, Bob!

IMO, separation by hand is probably the best way.
Maybe a shopping bagful at a time, if you get any TV time in the evening.
Grab a handful from one bag, strip a little bit out and toss it into the next bag, with the worst tossed into another.

You know the food processors quickly turn everything into dust, right?
If you can find a heavy duty papers shredder that's probably best, if it can be modified.

I've got a lettuce shredder from a Subway shop with broken blade holder that I must weld.
It would end up something like a Teck 1, without the screw feed mechanism.

If the leaf was pressed into a block, in case, perhaps you could set the block on a thrift store meat slicer?
Heck! just stick a large wad on the meat slicer, press it down with a wood block to save fingers, and let 'er rip!

Which ever way, shred with a certain amount of stems in it should be OK for adding into the blend of superior leaf for making ciggies.

Yup. I spend far too much time processing!
Gotta mechanize the process.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am 

Hi -

Thanks Rusty for the welcome back. I'm still too busy to be posting here much, but I'll glance in from time to time.

I suppose you mean to dampen the leaf pieces a little so they don't shatter while I'm processing them by hand. I REALLY wanted to avoid having to strip a million tiny pieces to take out the big chunks of stem!

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:03 am 

Hi
I got some tobacco sometimes called field strip. It had lots of pieces of mid -rib. We brought it to a 14% moisture case dry but flexable. then poured it on to trays about 2---3 layers thick, just barely covering trays. Patted it with palms of hands and anything that felt wrong came out, rest went into the shreadder. worked for us. Went fairly quick. the bigger pieces just have that hard feel and are easy to find. used two or three trays . Wife poured and I patted . Some she Patted and I poured . Most of it when it goes through the Papper shreader is small enough to work anyway. Good look hope this helps.
Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:53 am 

These are brilliant! http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/20070184 ... adtype=pla

I'm sure there will be the same thing in US. They shred the stem too! Just suck up a bucket of leaves at a time, put them through a second time and voila!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:26 am 

Hi --

How are you doing Lee? Hi oldhag.

So basically, looks like I have to strip them all by hand. I may try taking a pound of very dry scraps and beating it like I said above and winnowing out the big chunks just to see what happens. I'll post my results when I get them. I'm actually still trying to get this year's harvest finished out of the field.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 am 

Sry Bob, I had forgotten about this little jewel which does work well to separate veins and small stem bits after the midrib is removed.

It's a squeeky little thing to use, and only accepts small amounts at a time.
It leaves you with a coarse shred, which may then be clipped with a scissors for suitable shred.

Each time the funnel chamber is loaded, and cranked through, the veins are wound up on the grater part in the center, and they must be picked off with some sort of wire hook dealio.
But it does work pretty well! lol

I think it's a nut chopper, and most recently was offered for sale at wallyworld.

Good luck
rc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:13 am 

oldhag wrote:
These are brilliant! http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/20070184 ... adtype=pla

I'm sure there will be the same thing in US. They shred the stem too! Just suck up a bucket of leaves at a time, put them through a second time and voila!

OH, do you use that?

It ..really.. does look like the way to go!
I will look for one like that at yardsales.

Thanks for the great prospect !
rc