How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Tobacco Cutting Machine
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:08 am 

Hi everyone.I present to you my home made tobacco cutting machine.This machine cuts between 1,5 - 1,9 kilos of tobacco leaves in one load.
First i make a block using the press.I keep the tobacco leaves in the press for 30 minutes up to 2 hours.Then the block is placed in the cutting machine.It takes about 7 minutes for the machine to cut the whole block into extra fine strips,0,3 -0,4 mm wide.
This extra fine cut tobacco is excelent for rolling/injecting your own cigarettes.
It took me 3 weeks to complete this machine and press.

Here's a video link where you can see my beaty at work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEm-VZUNmg

Hope you all like it.

Post subject: Re: My Tobacco Cutting Machine
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:24 pm 

Here are some picture with the final result.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:04 am 

that is a very effeciant cutting machine you made, based on a idea, ive seen on you-tube,

in the past us home growers didnt have a machine that would properlly cut our baccy for us,

i too was on the virge of making me something,[ and it would have turned out good, based on a you-tube idea,]

but thier has been a invention hit the market;;

the POWERMATIC TOBACCO SHREDDER,

very effeciant machine, for us long term baccy growers,

..http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread. ... c-shredder

a couple pages in, and you'll see the video of it in action, i will be recieving mine this week,

your machine, requires you to make a brick, then apply it to that machine, and then the shred has to dry out before being smokable, NOT DISCOURAGING what you did, but technologogy has made us growers a affordable machine,

the powermatic, will shred, it, and you can make a smoke out of it immediatlly,

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:12 am 

I agree. I have a Powermatic and you can feed bone dry leaves into it and be smoking minutes later. No brick making, no waiting for the tobacco to come into case, then letting it dry again. Just shred and smoke!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:46 am 

I also got the powermatic. It is everything I have been looking for since starting to grow tobacco last year. 15 lbs of tobacco took literally days to shred last year. needing to be passed through a paste machine. A leaf even dry is one pass through the powermatic. It is much smaller than I had hoped to find in a shredder. Heavy so it stays put. and produced a shred that is finer than the pasta machine.
Not only that but it was tested. see Chickens link from above. Several of us pitched in to purchase one and had it put through it's paces.
I hope to do a test shred on one lb of tobacco this afternoon and time how long it takes. But from what I have been seeing it will take a couple of hours or so to shred the same 15 lbs of tobacco that took days last year.
Shredding has been a big weak link in producing your own tobacco. that void seems to have been filled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:35 pm 

I dont have to wait for the tobacco to dry (the tobacco is not wet , it is just slightly moistened. I can smoke it immediately. With my machine i can cut aprox. 100-150 kg / day , if i have the bricks already made. Normally i cut 10-15 killos a day.Once cut out of the machine, the tobacco is already processed and flavored , just like the cigarettes from factory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:43 pm 

Jitterbugdude wrote:
I agree. I have a Powermatic and you can feed bone dry leaves into it and be smoking minutes later. No brick making, no waiting for the tobacco to come into case, then letting it dry again. Just shred and smoke!

Bone dry leaves are not good for smoking.I process the tobacco and add different flavors,i cannot smoke dried raw leaves. The result from processing is a fine cut tobacco just like the one you buy at the store at $ 50/ 50 grams bag.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:50 pm 

Regarding "powermatic" i can guarantee that the lifetime of this machine is less than 100 kg. Once the knives are worn out, the powermatic is only good to landfill.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:28 pm 

Looks pretty sturdy and does a nice fine cut. What's the cost?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:05 pm 

^^^^

im intrested in that answer also,

allthough i may have a powermatic coming,

if 6 months from now if it flop's.

i'd be very intrested in hs creation,

from it's design, and simplicity to replace parts,

if the price was right, i'd be intrested,

whats the price,?

in dollars,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 am 

For personal use and for hobby the Powermatic is perfect .My machinery is the smaller version of what factories use to cut the tobacco , it is extremely durable and all the parts are high quality. The electric engine is a SEW EURODRIVE (made in germany) and it developes 1,5 Horse Power .The engine weighs 20 kilos.

The machine in the video costs 1500 Euros/ 1815 USD + Shippment. This machine cuts in 8 minutes 2 kilos of tobacco in one load .Cutting capacity per day :100-150 kg.Usually i cut 10-15 kg per day, but if i have the bricks already made i can cut 100-150 kg /day. The total weight of the machine is aprox.40 kilos.

The smaller version costs 1000 Euros /1210 USD + Shipment . This machine cuts 1 kilo in one load. Cutting capacity per day : 50-75 kg.The total weight of the machine is aprox.30 kilos.

For this money you get the machine and the press,painted in a professional workshop in your desired colour.You also get an extra cutting knife .All the components are brand new and high quality and will last for many years.The cutting knife is made from heat treated 1095 high carbon steel .These knives can be sharpened aprox. 1000 times. I personally sharpen my knives after i cut 50 kg of tobacco. In this way the shreds are always perfect.
The machine comes accompanied by user manual in English.
I guarantee that this machine is jam free.
From the moment you place your order it will take me 3 weeks to complete your machine and press.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:33 am 

Sounds very interesting, mr_grey and the quality looks good. The price of the model shown in the video is going to be a bit too steep for most of us and even the small one is probably too much for one person. No doubt the quality is good or even excellent. For us hobbyists that is a lot of money. Perhaps a group buy? Maybe for one person who shreds tobacco grown by others.

Did you post a video of the smaller model? Or, is it essentially the same as the larger one? I think the video is pretty good except I had to mute the sound because the music is not that good.

Another question: can the shred size be made larger? Perhaps it is a bit too fine for pipe tobacco.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:52 am 

Hello Tom ,

You can adjust the cutting size from aprox. 0,1 - 1,1 mm ( 0,1 mm is exaggerated....like almost human hair....i tried it). Now the machine is cutting 0,3-0,4 mm shreds(the perfect size for me) but If the shreds are thicker (example 1,1 mm ) it cuts a whole tobacco brick ( 2,1 kilos) in about 3:30 minutes.

The smaller machine looks the same, only smaller in size.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:05 pm 

to rich for my blood,

i got acess, to a welder, and some scrap steel.

the basic design isnt very complicated,

nor are any of the machines, ive seen that were effective in cutting tobacco, that ive seen on you-tube,

with basic machining ability, and the know how, to use a ruler, anything can be built or fabricated,

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 pm 

CHICKEN wrote:
to rich for my blood,

i got acess, to a welder, and some scrap steel.

the basic design isnt very complicated,

nor are any of the machines, ive seen that were effective in cutting tobacco, that ive seen on you-tube,

with basic machining ability, and the know how, to use a ruler, anything can be built or fabricated,

Put some pictures and maybe a video after you complete the machine.