How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: has anyone used one of these?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:59 am 

jeapadrenaline wrote:
still waiting for the package to arrive..... man i hate waiting lol

I hear you, I'm feeling the same and I'm not even getting one. LOL But I hope you post some photos when you get it, ones we can see how to make one from.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:31 pm 

you bet i will post detailed pics. if i didnt win this one i was going to build one myself too, but figured it be easier to duplicate if i can get an original. so yes once its here and i have tried it out and got time i will post pics and i will take measurements of all parts and pieces for anyone that wants to recreate it. also i have since seen a couple more go through fleabay, even cheaper. the trick is to go to "fleabay.de" and use the search word "takak schneider" that way you find things that any other way cant be found. also seems to be "teck1"s listed everyday, some go as low as 50 bucks, others start at 400 bucks and go up from there. if a guy has time, could probably get one at a fair price, but i like what i got so far.
this would be nice, but damn thats wayyyyy too expensive
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ANTIKER-TABAKSCH ... 35ba202e7a

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:25 pm 

so, i received the fabled tobacci cutter. for me it looks easly duplicated, maybe even mass-produced to a degree to make it affordable.
now this unit is somewhat worn (very worn, but i can fix most of it) and i dont have any tobacco to cut at this point, but i did a bit of a test and here are the results: settings are 1,2,3,4, starting at coarse to fine. numbers are aproximate, as i lost count many times lol.

setting 1: 32 cuts/inch
setting 2: 64 cuts/inch
setting 3: 108 cuts/inch
setting 4: 156 cuts/inch

my thoughts on this are, that even the coarse setting is a very fine cut for cigarette bacci. all are too fine for pipe bacci. but i think with some re-engineering i could make it work to do maybe 4-6 different cuts, maybe make the coarse cut 1 about 16 cuts/inch, and the finest around 100 cuts/inch.
i am not sure what would be ideal for pipe bacci nor for cigarette bacci. if anyone has some numbers for me to work with, i would appreciate it

as my time allows it, i will try to make up a detailed drawing with all the measurements of the whole unit, and of a unit "modified to my liking"
in the meantime, any input and help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:57 pm 

Jeap -

The shredder I have was fabricated in Quebec. Originally set for cig tobacco, it had a .020 cut, or about 1/50". I adjusted it to .050 (20 per inch) which gives me a great cut for my pipe.

I found I had to press my leaf into bricks, though, to get a chunky product. Chopping the leaves just wouldn't cut it.....

Pictures are in the User's Photo Gallery, page 2 under my name.

Jack

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:09 am 

the tobacco cuter on the pictures looks like an manual version of this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRyfuk0ydrU

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:27 am 

It sure does, except mine is older lol. I am tempted to build one of those motorized ones, but i'll have to figure out 12 volt motors since i live off grid and only run 12 volt. But first i have to get my first baccy crop in an try out the manual cutter.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 11:59 am 

jeapadrenaline wrote:
It sure does, except mine is older lol. I am tempted to build one of those motorized ones, but i'll have to figure out 12 volt motors since i live off grid and only run 12 volt. But first i have to get my first baccy crop in an try out the manual cutter.

Depending on the torque and horesepower requierments and also the capasity of your battery bank you could try a windshield motor or even a 12 volt starter motor from a car . You also would need a reduction gear unit if you are going to use a starter motor..

there are also other but i guess more expencive options

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:03 am 

jeapadrenaline
How go's the cutter, did it work out for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:27 am 

I dont have any baccy to put through yet, but i sharpened the blade a.d loosely folded some newspaper and shredded it. Makes a very fine cut, but seems to work. I still ha e to take the cutter appart which i.vol es drilling out some original steel rivets. Reason being it has been well used and has a lot of play that allos the bes to move almost 1/4 inch. A few shims here and there should fix the problems though.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:26 pm 

Thanks for the update, and good luck with your tobacco crop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:55 pm 

Stig wrote:
jeapadrenaline wrote:

Depending on the torque and horesepower requierments and also the capasity of your battery bank you could try a windshield motor or even a 12 volt starter motor from a car . You also would need a reduction gear unit if you are going to use a starter motor..

there are also other but i guess more expencive options

My suggestion is to use it the way it is because a 12 V motor will not work , unless you put only a small amount of tobacco into the machine.To have a really clean cut you need to have a pressed block of tobacco,the moisture level should be around 25 % and a very shark knife.My tobacco cutting machine uses a 1,5 Horse Power electric engine with a reduction gear. I do not want to disappoint you but the truth is that a 12 v motor wil never work.