How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flip Flop Shredder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:26 am 

Followed Taxedenough's lead and made a baccy shredder out of a small home use paper shredder.
Been hunting for a commercial paper shredder head for awhile but no luck so far.
This little shredder head has 2 cutters per disc and makes about a 1/8" wide cut

Ran a test batch of leaves thru it this morning and it worked fine for the first cut but when trying to feed the shreads thru a second time they wanted to bridge up in the hopper really bad.

The feed slot was only a 1/4" and I was able to open it up to around 3/8" with a die grinder without getting into the wipers to much but that's still not enough.
I did find that if its flipped over and the shreads are ran thru the "exhaust" side in a rotate-counter rotate fashion it worked well.

My next move is to trim the mounting board down some and make a small hopper for the bottom.
After that it will get mounted on a box with a hinge so it can cut primary shreads then be flipped to run the secondary cut thru. :D

As with most projects it will need to be fine tuned but I believe this will work great when finished.
The Knob handle is made from an old brody knob or as I knew them back in the day a knuckle buster knob.
Anyone remember these knobs???

(EDIT) bottom hopper did not work well too much baccy clogs it up and makes for powered tobacco.
But about a inch thick layer lightly tamped works great :D

Here's a picture of the double cut shreads
One time thru each side and its ready to go :D

(EDIT) Ok the darn ciggies keep going out for me with this shread :evil:
Found the fines toward the bottom half of my baccy jar stay lit much better
I might need to screed the baccy and grind the larger pieces a third time or just rub em thru the screed screen :wink:

Last edited by Taterious on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Flip Flop Shredder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:05 pm 

Nice work Tator :D
I had the same problem early on and ended up removing the hopper.After the first pass the baccy is very fluffy and found it risky sticken my fingers in there :shock: I have ground up more than 50lbs baccy with the gadget so far and lookin at motors to drive it.The best i think would be a belt driven sewing machine motor(cheap)With belt drive you can adjust the tension so if you happen to clump it the belt will slip and not fry the motor.Also,i would use a dimmer switch to control the speed.

Here's what i do(hopper removed)

The leaf needs to be in low case just so the stem still has flex.

Grab the base(closest to stalk) of the stem between your thumb and forfinger and usin your thumbnail strip the stem.It should strip very easy with the stem stayin intact.

Next i just feed the leaf through and with my free hand i keep feedin it till i get what i want.Will be alot faster with two free hands LOL

Smokes great and the T2 actually acts has a secondary shredder so no need to be to pickie with the shred.

Good luck and have fun :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:55 am 

Mark I had a blast grinding baccy last night it sure beats the guillotine paper cutter time wise.
I did grab a spatula to use for a poker to start the leaves and the hopper makes for a good handle until I can get this thing mounted down.

I told the wife that I need to find a jack in the box and rob the music thingy out of it to use on this shredder.
She just rolled her eyes but after 30+ years of being hitched to me she knows that very well could happen :lol:

Dang talk about like minded :lol:
The thought of useing a sewing machine motor and speed control petal crossed my mind about 10 minutes after I cut the gear reduction mount off this cutter head :oops:.
We even have a junk sewing machine a lady up the road gave us a couple of years ago.

All in all this thing works great I figure it might be as easy letting the 1st cut shreads dry and give them a little crunch if I dont want to regrind them.

Now we need a destemmer attachment and things would be set :wink:

I kind of envision a set of spring loaded floating blades and a guide to steer the stem away from the shredder blades.
Be cool to be able to just jab the stem in a guide and have the shredder pull the goody thru while stripping the stem out :D
Heck might be able to set up a pair of knurled rollers to pull the stem out while grinding I know there is a way to get this to work someday :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 am 

I told the wife that I need to find a jack in the box and rob the music thingy out of it to use on this shredder.LOL :shock:

Kinda like an hour glass ha.cool idear

I got my eyes on a few commercial shredders at work.I think i need to fix em :wink: Kiddin of course.If one comes up i'll let ya know.

Next thing will be a sucker pullin robot ha tator!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 am 

Mark a few dozen well trained budworms would work on those suckers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Our neighbor bought a new small tobacco shredder off the internet a couple of days ago.
It clamps to a table and is a hand crank unit

Neat design but a bit flimsy.
It has two knurled and slotted aluminum rollers about 4" long that overlap to cut the baccy and a set of aluminum ''combs'' on each roller at the bottom to peel the baccy out of the slots.

That one made a perfect size shread but it had already bent a few of the comb teeth when a bit of a stem went thru the machine.
If it had spring steel combs and a better handle it would really work well.

The same neighbor gave me a paper shredder he had tryed to shread with and did not like.
I gutted it and it had knife style cutters in it but what is cool is the blades and spacers can be removed.

Figure if i can find a couple more like it the spacers could be replaced with washers to make a thinner cut.
A set of steel combs like are used on dogs might work well for wipers.

Might even be able to use a third shaft geared to the cutting shaft sets with a couple of those blades to devein the leaf.
Here's a pic of the paper shredder shafts.

One more project on the list :lol:
And yes still hunting for a jack in the box :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:20 pm 

Hi ya Tator

There are two different cutting syles used in paper shredders.One is straight cut and the other like i use is crosscut.If i run a sheet of paper though it the strips come out 1/8thin wide and 1in long.Now,with a straight cut you will get one long string i suppose, like a pasta shredder.The advantage of the crosscut is the blade alignment is better suited to grab and pull the baccy through.

Had to disinfect it with baccy caused by the nasty paper :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:01 am 

Mark we need to slap a bull duram flake cut decal on these cutters :lol:

I'm finally getting the hang of packing my little hand slide ciggy machine with these flakes.
Asked the neighbor how much his T2 cost and he said dont go buy one I want to get you one for Christmas. :D
He's really stoked up on growing his own baccy now.

Freeze coming here wednesday night decisions need to be made this weekend.
Might try a whole stalk pile cure with all these sucker plants.
Or just bush hog em and get on to other things....... :wink: