How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressing/Shredding newbie question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:44 pm 

happy Independence Day!!

my man Mark gave me a bundle of tobacco to help get me through until my crop gets going (thanks for all the help and donations!).

The leaves were from last year, so I built a quick and dirty solar curing kiln for them. Pretty much, I hung them off of racks on sawhorses, misted them, and covered the whole deal with black construction plastic. My thermometer read a daytime high of about 110F. The leaves seem to have softened up nicely and became pliable again.

So I built a quick press from 2x6's (untreated pine), 4" across and about a foot long. And I want to try the press/electric carving knife method.

So I stacked the leaves up (no idea how to blend--I kind of went "dark, light, little of this, little of that...."), and now have the leaves pressing under about half of the weight of my Honda Passport (I used my bottle jack under the tow-hitch, and twisted until I took weight off the springs).

How long do you keep that kind of pressure on your leaves, to get a good, solid, brick? A few days? Hours? I have no idea--the leaves are damp and I don't want them to rot in there.

Post subject: Re: Pressing/Shredding newbie question
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:02 pm 

If you're cutting shreds with a blade, an hour is more than enough.
Overnight, and it's hard to seperate the shreds. (per my experience)

Post subject: Re: Pressing/Shredding newbie question
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:20 pm 

Heck John i thought i was the only redneck in Wi.

Another method you could try is simply grindin it up by hand.Tomorrow the humilty is suppose to lower so just put the leaves in the sun and grind em and turn em by hand.The T2 also works has a shredder if the baccy is sundried.So no need to have em perfect size.Don't forget to remove the midrib just before feedin the T2.

I would use at least a F150 for pressin LOL