How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the blender
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am 

I was sitting at the kitchen table yesterday chopping up some more tobacco with my kitchen shears while my wife watched. After a few minutes she said "I wonder if a blender would work for chopping it?" I dunno, I said. She won a fancy new blender at our credit unions annual meeting last month. (I'm not allowed to touch it)

After a few more minutes of watching she says "it has a setting called shred" Hmm, interesting I said, not daring to say more. A few more minutes passed and she says "I want to try it and see if it will work" Now if this had been my idea no way would she have let me use her new blender for chopping tobacco.

So she gets it out of the cupboard and puts a hand full in, and hit shred. And guess what? It worked excellent! It took it about 15 seconds to do what took me 5 minutes to do by hand with my shears. We now have a tobacco shredder! I then got detailed instructions on every aspect of the new blender, including how to put it back in the cupboard correctly. I guess that means I am now allowed to use it. lol sheez Wimmins and their kitchen gadgets. :)

Post subject: Re: the blender
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm 

Good to hear you finally caught up with the shredder craze, Sky !

If you are happy with the results you got, it will be important that you have the same moisture content each time, and do not exceed that time period.

Many valiant attempts with kitchen shredders end up producing large amounts of powder.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:14 am 

rustycase wrote:
If you are happy with the results you got, it will be important that you have the same moisture content each time, and do not exceed that time period.

Many valiant attempts with kitchen shredders end up producing large amounts of powder.

That's what I assumed was going to happen. It would make powder out of the bottom and leave the top unchopped. But it chopped it all very evenly. I was quite surprised how well it worked.

The leaves were in medium case before being chopped and it sure didn't take it long to do them. If the tobacco was dryer, or they were left in there for even 10 seconds to long, like you said, I'm sure it would turn them into powder.

I'm going to bring several hand more into case this weekend and we are going to try chopping up a bucket full. Hope it goes like the first test batch did. Film at 11

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:11 am 

It's what I use. I don't mind a bit of dust either, it smokes fine.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

How fine is your blender shredding? I tried using my blender but didn't get any better results that if I crubbled the tobacco while dry. I didn't get much dust but most of the pieces were 1/4" or so. My Topomatic was able to stuff a tube using the blender shredded tobacco but it was a bit tricky filling the groove properly. I suspect the trick is having the tobacco at a specific case to get the best results.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:22 pm 

It needs to be in medium case or lower. The leaves need to be "noisy", as Lonnie says. They make a rustling sound when you handle them, but not quite crunchy dry is best. We tried chopping some yesterday that was in heavy case and it didn't chop it well at all. It came out very chunky and more chopping didn't change it much. We let it sit in a bowl and dry out until today and it worked very well. We did two big zip lock bags full in about 20 minutes. It comes out the same texture as tobacco you buy, or what's in a commercial cigarette. No problem for our little zig zag hand roller at all.

I chop the leaves up into about 1/2 inch chunks first. I just grab a handful and roll it into a big fat cigar shape and start chopping in up with kitchen shears. Then we put those in the blender. Can't put too much in at one time. Maybe about 2-3 packs of cigarettes worth at the most, but it only takes about 20-30 seconds on about the medium setting to shred it. The right speed is where it starts whirling around in there like a tornado vortex. Lower speeds just chop the bottom and don't circulate it around and the top stays in chunks. Too high it flies everywhere and over chops some before it's done with the chunks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:15 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks I let it dry a bit more with good results and your intructions were great!.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:17 am 

Location: The Real Columbia River Gorge in Skamania County Southern Washington State Member # 1439
Skychaser on the blender is there a bunch of buttons for different speeds ?
If so where on the speed scale is the shred speed ?
Slow ? Medium ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:55 am 

Ours is a new Oyster blender with 7 speeds and an optional hi/low setting for all 7. We are doing it at the low option on the 4th button. That's the one they labeled "shred" We haven't tried it on the high speed options. We just discovered that button the last time we used it. lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:27 pm 

Well it's been 2 years since I first posted this, and I am happy to say we are still using the same blender. It must have chopped well over 100 lbs now and is still going strong.

Once in a while we even use it to make a milk shake. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:07 am 

Tobacco milkshake...

THAT does NOT sound good!

lol
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:46 pm 

Skychaser wrote:
lol sheez Wimmins and their kitchen gadgets. :)

LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:10 am 

I use a pasta roller and a paper shreader on some cuts. If She wants to be the blender boss, thats a great way to get Her into the tobacco fun and enjoy what She is really missing. Good idea. I use the one that has a leak in it, works for My snuff well.