How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shredding what we've grown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:56 pm 

Hi All!

Sorry to have been so out of touch. Not much to ad lately. However, there is so much stress regarding the shredding of tobacco. I have thrown it by a machinist to come up with something affordable, convenient, with available replacement parts, and so on and so forth. It does not seem like it is going to pan out.

I was using my hand crank pasta machine. Beautiful shred. Time suck. Scissors, same thing. Paper cutter??? I just am not into spending hours getting enough tobacco to smoke for a week.

So, here's what I do from the school of hard knocks Yankee tobacco farming. I run it thru my food processor with the slicing blade. It might not be "precise", but it smokes and rolls just fine. For us with limited options, it beats not smoking what we've grown while we try to configure all kinds of shredders.

Just be sure to bring it into a nice humidity (case). If it is too dry, yes, it will turn to dust. And strip the spline, or your machine will not be happy and will buck all over the counter. (0:

Someday there will be a decent shredder on the market. For now, this is the best, most practical, and most time efficient way I've found to get enough smoke to be practical for me.

Bless you all!

Renee'

Post subject: Re: Shredding what we've grown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:57 pm 

Hi, glad you're back.
I've gotten off the search for a perfect shredder.
I use a coffee grinder, one or two pulses and it's great.
Packs and injects good, burns steady and the fire stays put.
All in all, I'm very happy with it and it cost me very little, as I
recall, 23 bucks. :D

You can check out some of the photos of the shredder and shred in my photo gallery.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:19 pm 

Thank you, wydeboi. Hi to you!

Same principle, (0: Make what we have work. I hope to have more time to poke around here. I miss you all! I have to see how everybody's harvest came out. Very well, I hope. Mine was so much less than the first year. Then got it put up maybe too late. It's not curing well. Oh well. Mary Ann just said some of her's that cured on the stalk is smoking nice. I have tons of upper leaf still out there, so might be worth a try. Still smoking the 2009 crop, so I can't really complain. It seems this is a very forgiving crop.

Renee'

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:13 pm 

Hi --

Renee' and wydeboi, good to see y'all both back posting here! Merry New Year!

I'm keeping my eye out for a hand-cranked meat slicer to try bricks on. That would be very close to how I'm still doing it, by making a brick and slicing the end off with a razor knife. Takes me around 10 minutes to slice half a carton and the bricks I make aren't too big (3 oz), so I do it about every two-three days. Not too bad a time waster for me. Drying it out in the microwave usually takes a lot longer. I'm sure that 3 oz. takes me around 3 minutes in the zapper, then another 3 minutes out cooling - then I repeat that at least 3 times, then put it in the food processor to break up the shreds, then another 3 minutes zapped to get close to ready to smoke. Might even then take around another 2 minutes too. So it takes around 30-40 minutes to dry the shreds after I cut them. I usually do that in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

So that's what I do for shredding.

Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm 

hi all
Bob I've wondered about this to Meat slicer. so after reading this ? I got out one that we had bought some time ago. I took a fairly good sized leaf took out middle stem and rolled it up like a cigar. I ran it through the meat slicer and it sliced just fine . Between a 1/8" amd 1/4" width. Then made secound and third pass and saw that the last leaf bends over , then on secound pass last 2 leaves bend over. then on third pass last 3 leaves turn overnot cutting off. I turned "cigar" around and it cut them off but bent last leaf again. so by time had it all cut had quite a few biigger pieces that didn't get sliced right . I droped these in pasta cutter and they came out great. I then took three leafs bent them double and twisted them tight . fed them trough meat slicer and it cut just like the cigar . with the last part of leaf wanting to bend ,not cutting. I did the whole three leafs like this turning so they could cut that last piece that didn't want to cut. Still ended up with pieces that I fed to pasta cutter. I think thaat some one with hands that work alittle better than mine could get it to work. This is a old meat slicer and may not be as sharp as new one. although it sure looks sharp. Lee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm 

hi all
Just a little more info on meat slicer/ Mine is a Waring pro motor driven searated edge turns about twice as fast as I turn my pasta shreader. guess would be about 180 rpms . it seems slow but faster than I can count. I put some leafs with stems throughand it didn't slow down. Cut stems and all, except last parts of leafs. I have a little of lonnies pressed tobacco and tried it . it sliced it fine,till last few leaves. same thing . The tobacco with stems , the stems are large big ends are 1/4 " and some go to 1/2". Some I got from a differant grower. It cut the stems up small . the bigger pieces may have went through the stuffer but looked bigger than we are used to.
I finnaly ran some through just pasta cutter and shreaded 2 1/2 coffee cans full. These are the 34.5 oz size cans . Used to be 3 pounds till htey started resizing coffee cans.or rather started changiing there weight methods lol Lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:32 am 

Hi -

lee, I envision using bricks rather than cigar shapes. I take 5-6 leaves, maybe more, form a rough brick shap and press them under a butcher's block with about 35-40 lbs of rock on top for a couple of hours or overnight. Maybe make a brick around 1/2 inch thick and 5 inches square or a little longer on one side.

That should feed pretty well into the slicer.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:20 am 

hi I understood that bob
What I was getting at was the last part doesn't want to cut for me. your results may vary. :lol: although I don't think differance between round or square will make much diferance to meat cutter. it doesn't know differance between finger and lunch meat :lol:
I do belive some one can figure out how to get last to cut then it would be like a teck shreader except bigger. lee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:55 am 

Yup, there's always a bit of prob with the last part.. I just set it aside and toss it in with the next batch.

Why not ????
rc

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:39 pm 

Hi -

Yeah! Like hamburger!

The one meat slicer I found before was hand cranked and would go down to 1/16th inch I think. Actually I think it had a continuous adjustment maybe smaller. I'm keeping my eye out for one.

Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:12 pm 

Renee wrote:
Hi All!

So, here's what I do from the school of hard knocks Yankee tobacco farming. I run it thru my food processor with the slicing blade. It might not be "precise", but it smokes and rolls just fine. For us with limited options, it beats not smoking what we've grown while we try to configure all kinds of shredders.

I use my presto salad shooter. Smokes great.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:38 am 

+1 Shihan

I recently got a salad shooter at the thrift store and it DOES work great.
Still trying to figger the best moisture content, but all results have worked fine for the T2 injector.

Best
rc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:37 pm 

Renee

Good to see you girl !!! Hope all is going good up your way . Yea that darn shreading sure takes time . In an hour or so I can sizzor up enough to last us a few days .

Thats not to bad but does come along before you know it and you must do the task to have smokes LOL . I'm looking for a way to shread in bulk .

Hope your baccy did good for you . Couldn't ask for things to go better than they did for us . Got plenty and will still plant all I can this year lol . Try switching over to higher quality mode and not quantity mode like last year .

But enough of that we wouldn't want someone to think I'm just spoutin off about my baccy :roll: LOL

Heres lookin at you and best wishes for a bountiful crop year . :wink: Was good to peak in and see ya been around . Catch ya later gator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:15 pm 

I have been working on an idea for a shredder off and on using mower sections. Those nice little triangular sharp dudes from the old sickle bar hay mowers. So far it is looking pretty good. I will keep you all posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:12 pm 

hey uncle art, I had the same vision with the hay blades just a few months ago.
I bought a packet of three from tractor supply and had the intention of mounting them on a circular blade (Rusty's idea) or something like that and hand crank it. Then I started using my pasta machine and gave up on that idea as the pasta machine works well, very well, for me.
If I machine out a shaft to fit the pasta machine from drill stock and fit my cordless drill to it, I figure I can shred as fast as I can feed it leaves.

Have you see the photos of taxedenough's shredder?
now that thing could eat stalks and all! like a car shredder in miniature.