How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Shredding what we've grown
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:59 pm 

Yep. I saw those . Being a blacksmith I just have to play with mechanical ideas.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 pm 

I had some other thoughts you may consider for those hay blades

1. configure like a guilitine and with a handle that pulls the blade down onto the brick to slice
2. attach them to a old circular saw blade with slots cut out to let the slices drop out
3. attach them radially to a central hub so they spin and cut as a food processor would

Blacksmith? - cool!, I have an old Champion portable forge. I use it for making knives and fros and things from lawnmower blades and leaf springs and have fab'd an adapter on top to fire up my aluminum foundry. I make sand cast parts for my tractor and other things.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm 

First one to post a pic of their own working gas engine driven shredder gets a trophy :!:
and for u, CJ, that means video. :)
rc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:25 am 

hi
I went a step further and went green I turn mine by hand and cut out the gas companies too lee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:33 am 

Nah... I just want to do a down and dirty volume thingy... tired of messin w the stuff all the time even though it's kinda fun blending things...
want to go the 'Get R' Dun' route.
rc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:08 am 

I hear you Russ !! Gets old shreading this crap lol . And I can shread enough in an hour to last a few days but still gets old right fast .

I did enough to last about 3 weeks earlier tonight or really last night . But I can't smoke this yet because I'm letting the blends marry together and would like to let them do this for a month before opening a can . Then open one each month and see if it really makes any difference in the taste .

I sealed up 3 cans and placed them on my hot water heater to perkolate for a spell . I have no idea if it will improve the taste cause to me it would be hard to improve apon very much . But they say big tobacco does this so I'll try it to see if any difference is noted .

Like Russ I'm also interested in getting er done lol

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:58 am 

hi
the hand crank works great for a weeks worth at time. if was to do amonths at time or more say a years it would be a lot of work.
I still have a large industrial type sewing machine stand . It has a foot operated 1/2 HP motor on it. the motor has a slip clutch to regulate speeds for sewing. I have been playing with idea of mounting my paper shreader on it and letting shreds fall into a secound shreader. The motor has enough oooph for both cutters and secound one should not be over loaded since it is allready cut once. both openings are the same size. the cutters are about 5" tall so I don't think have to stand on ladder. It stands up table high so can put container to collect shreads on floor under. any ideas that I might have missed , Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:19 am 

Hi
I dug out the 2 shreaders and pulled out the one stand . The stand is adjustable height ( never changed it in 45 years I've had it) It has the clutch and drives belt .
The first cutter I got cuts in long shreads. The second one has the little extra blades to cut off for length to. so If put old one on top feeds strips into second which will also cut off lengths. I found 2 pulleys from old bobin winders. 1 is a 3" diamator the other is a 3 1/2 " so I need to put small one on bottom so turns faster? hmmmm
Now to find energy and TIME to assemble work never stops. Thank the good lord. keeps me thinking i'm young Lee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:30 am 

Whoa !

Push the re-wind button.... !

Iam, did that mean U been shredding your own baccy for 45 years ????? Wow! :shock:
rc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 am 

I like the idea about rewind :lol: :lol:
But to be honest I ment the stand for sewing Machine. I bought 2 used In summer of 65 one gave $300 w/ Machine other I found 2 weeks later and gave $10w/ machine. both machines were said to be about 35 years old then. I still use the one ($300) used it last week to hem some blue jeans for son. Other froze up and needle bar stuck so was thinking of using it. For stand for shreaders. I can probably get frozen one un stuck But I just don't need it and it did pay for it self ---many many times over.
and to be honest wish I had started growing and shreading 45 years ago. maybe I would have saved a bunch of money and know what I 'm doing now. :lol: :lol: :lol: Lee