How to Grow Tobacco

How to grow and process tobacco at home for personal use. This is a non-commercial hobby website.
Tobacco Picture Gallery Click Here
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gonna try a meat slicer...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 pm 

My OLD.. and I mean OLD Hobart commercial 12" direct drive meat slicer from the 50's is is such bad shape....Old porcealin over steel body that has gotten soooo bad I can't do a good job of cleaning it after cutting meat.... so I bought a new 12" slicer for slicing BBQ (not as heavy duty....To replace the old one in kind would now cost $3000) when we have get togethers here at the house.
Thinking of making a box to fit the bricks I will make, mount it to the slicer and see what happens.The slicer will cut meat and hard cheese from 1/2" to paper thin!!!!! This might be the hot ticket for the Old slicer to have a new life!!!!!!

Post subject: Re: Gonna try a meat slicer...
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:04 pm 

I'll be interested in hearing how it works out. My wife saw a couple meat slicers on craigslist a week ago and had the same idea.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:08 pm 

Sounds like a good idea HG. I've been looking for one for months, now.

So far I've come up with two mandoline slicers, which work dandy for my vegetable garden prepping things to put in the dehydrator I built. Haven't even tried for the baccy.

I also came up with a Nemco EZ slicer that was excessed by a Subway shop when it broke one of the blades off. Common problem with them. Bad design. It's a $40 or $70 repair.
I'll wait !
So far, it does a real coarse job of hacking up damp leaf that's had the midrib removed. Actually, the ribs wouldn't slow it down, I just didn't want to pick 'em out later.

I take a scissors to the coarse shred, next step.

Good luck with that meat slicer.
I'll look for your new posts on the results.
rc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:28 pm 

I'm away from the house now.... will be headed offshore for a week or so.... but when I get home, I will build 2 press boxes.... 1 to press bricks.. the other with one open side to mount to the old slicer... The slicer has blade sharpeners and should cut the baccy well..I hope!!!!! When I get back and have a chance ta work on it, I will let ya know. Hope the old thing will have a new life.... It was my Dad's from the meat market 50 YEARS ago!!!!! and he bought it used..... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:00 pm 

Yup... an old Hobart is a REAL tool !
I think ALL the new ones are far lighter duty until you spend a grand, or twelve hundred on one.
Best
rc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 am 

I too have been looking for a "Real McCoy" slicer. I tried a small brick on my brothers little plastic machine that he uses for jerky and could tell that with a Big Boy it very well could be the answer to our problem of shredding.
The biggest problem that I see will be "case" --- to wet and it'll gum up the machine and to dry will crumble.
I'd like to find something that would work on a bale instead of having to make plugs or bricks.

HG,
Keep us updated on your spearments :wink: . We'd all like to get this shredding process handled.
I was hoping that the "angel hair pasta cutter" set-up would have turned out better --but one leaf at a time aint gonna cut it for a hundred or so pounds of baccy.

-J.C.-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:59 am 

johnc wrote:
I was hoping that the "angel hair pasta cutter" set-up would have turned out better --but one leaf at a time aint gonna cut it for a hundred or so pounds of baccy.

-J.C.-

John,
Are you thinking of shredding your entire crop all at once?

I'm really loving the pasta maker method, yes it's 'a leaf at a time' but it doesn't take long to make up 4 or 5 ounces (a weeks worth) and I just leave the rest of my baccy to age in whole leaf (easier to handle).

I did have a 1 1/2lb brick that I've been aging and broke it up the other night to shred, that was time consuming because I had to strip the brick apart totally to feed to the pasta machine.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 am 

hi
we ran 5 pounds through the paper shreader then through the pasta cutter and had it done and cleaned in about an hour . I turned cranks and wife feed leafs. An hour for about 2 1/2 months of her smokes is good enough for me. might not think about meat slicer. Then again if I took pipes and made a self feeding brick 4' pvc pipes with bunge cord :roll: stop call it good and as dad said go play in traffic or something :lol: lee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:19 am 

I've recently gathered a few more handy dandy kitchen utensils from the local thrift store I will try processing leaf with. Two hand crank shredders, one for making crushed ice, and the other for shredding ??? by Chefmate. Then I did pick up the Cuisinart Coffee burr grinder to see if it will grind to a Copenhagen size without making a lot of dust. Gotta find out if dry dry is better than maybe a little moist...
rc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:38 am 

colej,
"John,
Are you thinking of shredding your entire crop all at once?"

I'd love to ---- I'm trying to grow enough for 4-5 others besides myself.
I'd like to put the plants in a hopper on one end and get the rolled smokes on the other end.
That would turn me loose to take care of all the honey-doos and round-to-its that were planned back in the pre-retirement days. (back before Obama and the 2400% tax increase)

-J.C.-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:25 am 

it's called delegation my friend, get those "4 or 5 others" involved in the process to free up the old man to get other things done.
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:53 am 

colej wrote:
it's called delegation my friend, get those "4 or 5 others" involved in the process to free up the old man to get other things done.
:lol:

"delegation" ----- Now that's a good word, I remember it fondly.
Did you ever show up to the gang box to pass out tools,look behind yourself and notice that "There wasn't anybody in line" Thats where we are here.

Half the gang are older and much worse shape than I. The other half is covered up with work and trying to take care of their folks.

That being said --- I need to pull a lonnie and put up a few years worth and cut things loose for for a bit.

They say that this part of the country will make 2300lbs. per acre. Guess I need to cut a couple loose and GET-R-DONE (ha ha):wink: ( If that didn't KILT me ---nothing could. lol)

We would still have the processing to deal with. I'm thinking on the lines of diesel powered or at least PTO off the tractor :)

-J.C.-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:15 pm 

Quote:
We would still have the processing to deal with. I'm thinking on the lines of diesel powered or at least PTO off the tractor :)

-J.C.-

LMAO, I just had a twisted visual image of my little-bitty pasta maker/shredder rigged up to the 3-point of my John Deere. :shock:

if the "4 or 5" can't contribute to the physical effort, then if it was me I would be demanding a contribution to the fiscal effort.
But that's just me.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:46 pm 

Johnc, That's one of the reasons the press gang was used in the baccy fields... there's only so much of the process that has been mechanized so far. On a smaller scale, it's all gotta be done by hand.

They got mechanical whole stalk harvesters, but I'll bet they're pricey.
Lonnie might know something about them...

But u still gotta get it on the sticks to put up in the barn, all by hand.
If u grew anywhere near acreage, you would need to hire a crew... and good help is hard to find for anything that resembles hard work ! One of them old films, out of Canada said, the trick when ur choppin baccy is not to straighten up once u get bent over!

Good luck !
rc